ND WR's have been terrible for 4 years

Posted (edited)

Since Claypool, really.  And there was a void prior to Chase as well. 

Gone are the days of a golden tate, or Floyd, or Fuller/Claypool, etc.  Heck, even McKnight,  Samardzija and Stovall, they were difference makers but that was 18 years ago. 

2020-2023. 

McKinley had 700 yards in 2020

Kevin Austin had 880 in 21'

Styles, Lezy and Thomas each had under 400 yards in 2022

Last year, Faison and Flores each had a whopping 370-440 yds. 

The WR room looks even shittier for 2024.  They simply dont have the athletes outside to compete at the top level.  

Meanwhile OSU has Njibga,  Harrison, Samuel, McLaurin, Wilson, Brown, Olave, all in the last 5 years go to the NFL

And they still have 3 studs on their 2024 team to keep them dynamic this year in college. 

Edited by NDLincPark
  • Heart 1

Hard to disagree, but let's turn this into more than just a rant thread.

Why do you think there's been a lack of WR threats, while Tight End hasn't been an issue? Do you think it's QB play, bad recruiting, NIL, lack of recent successful WRs scaring prospects away, play calling, etc.

It's a topic definitely worth discussing and I'd love to see some discussion around why you think it's been such an issue lately.

• Flames 1

Top tier WRs want to go to programs that have WR success in the NFL. 

The college game has changed, and seemingly NOtre Dame is still trying to play pseudo big 10 90's football.  

Notre Dame has not had the QBs - the WRs have noticed.  That is why they have a bunch of 3 star nobodys who are comprable to the WR room at Rutgers and Indiana. 

55 minutes ago, NDLincPark said:

Top tier WRs want to go to programs that have WR success in the NFL. 

The college game has changed, and seemingly NOtre Dame is still trying to play pseudo big 10 90's football.  

Notre Dame has not had the QBs - the WRs have noticed.  That is why they have a bunch of 3 star nobodys who are comprable to the WR room at Rutgers and Indiana. 

I think Freeman recognizes what you are saying and hired Denbrock for this very reason. I'm glad he missed on Ludwig last year because that was another tight end/running back driven offense. This one he had.

image.png

Denbrock had both Malik Nabers  and Brian Thomas Jr. Drafted highly this year at LSU.

• Heart 1

I 100% agree with ND's WR's this year are not going to be good again. I could argue that Denbrock only got those WR's because he was at LSU and they always have elite Wide Outs even when they ran the ball 90% of the time they still had elite skill players. I have no idea what the answer is but man if we want to win a Natty we have got to get better wide outs who are NFL players. Winning four playoff games is going to be unbelievably hard with trying to win 20-16. Also when is the last great NFL TE the Irish have had? Rudulph??

3 minutes ago, Jburkdd12 said:

I 100% agree with ND's WR's this year are not going to be good again. I could argue that Denbrock only got those WR's because he was at LSU and they always have elite Wide Outs even when they ran the ball 90% of the time they still had elite skill players. I have no idea what the answer is but man if we want to win a Natty we have got to get better wide outs who are NFL players. Winning four playoff games is going to be unbelievably hard with trying to win 20-16. Also when is the last great NFL TE the Irish have had? Rudulph??

My Hope is around how they used this guy, Will Fuller.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

My Hope is around how they used this guy, Will Fuller.

That was 8 years ago, with zero coaches astill around.  Your hope for 2024 and beyond is because Will Fuller was fast over 8 seasons ago?

Jordon Faison 

Kris Mitchell 

Jayden Thomas

These guys are all 2-3 star zero difference makers.  None of the above would be a top 4 WR at LSU, OSU, FSU, OU, Bama, UGA, Etc, Etc. 

10 minutes ago, NDLincPark said:

That was 8 years ago, with zero coaches astill around.  Your hope for 2024 and beyond is because Will Fuller was fast over 8 seasons ago?

Denbrock was assistant head coach for the offense in 2015, had a very similiar QB etc.

• Flames 1

Tough comparison given a different QB, OC, and starting OTs. I’d agree they aren’t at the level they need to be or should be. The ND coaching staff feels a lot better about the 2024 WRs than 2023 though. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, NDLincPark said:

Lol.  Yeah, that's gonna turn water into wine.   ND Fan Logic 

Just admit your previous comment about ND having no coaches connected with Fuller was wrong and you'll have my respect . Like I admitted my take on Buchner was wrong. No shame in being wrong. Bet you'll find a reason not to do it even given the info I just placed in front of you.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Just admit your previous comment about ND having no coaches connected with Fuller was wrong and you'll have my respect . Like I admitted my take on Buchner was wrong. No shame in being wrong. Bet you'll find a reason not to do it even given the info I just placed in front of you.

Yes, a position coach from 9 years ago is back with the team now.  You are correct.  I forgot he was there 9 years ago. 

I have no idea how that makes any of the scrub WRs on the 2024 team any good. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, NDLincPark said:

Yes, a position coach from 9 years ago is back with the team now.  You are correct.  I forgot he was there 9 years ago. 

I have no idea how that makes any of the scrub WRs on the 2024 team any good. 

The Wide receivers will get targeted more in a 3-receiver offense. We're deeper with the transfers. Your premise is correct. Tommy Rees/Parker wanted to scheme open. Denbrock wants his guys to run. Its less film work and more beat the the guy in front of you.  I do expect the receiving yards to increase. More interesting to me is will total offense increase?  How is rushing effected? I believe Denbrock will average a higher yardage per play but will it be more net productive?

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

The Wide receivers will get targeted more in a 3-receiver offense. We're deeper with the transfers. Your premise is correct. Tommy Rees/Parker wanted to scheme open. Denbrock wants his guys to run. Its less film work and more beat the the guy in front of you.  I do expect the receiving yards to increase. More interesting to me is will total offense increase?  How is rushing effected? I believe Denbrock will average a higher yardage per play but will it be more net productive?

Agreed!

I also feel Mike Brown will be an upgrade over Chansi Stuckey, and get a lot out of this WR room.

If anything, we need to give Brown a chance to prove himself.

This will definitely be the year to do it!

Whether it was coaching, scheme, QB arm talent, WR ability, or a combination of all 4....the simple fact is that for much of the last decade, the WR was the second or third option on any given play (at best).

For many years we have all thrown fits about the QB being locked in on the TE from the snap. IMHO, this was due to scheming to what ND had at QB....and the fact that ND has been extremely blessed at the TE and RB position.

ND has upgraded coaching, QB talent, and WR. However, ND also has stocked shelves at RB and an all-american TE (if healthy). The scheme will favor improved numbers out of the WR position, but the coach would be an idiot to ignore the talent at RB and TE.

• Heart 2