Mike Leach would be proud of Parker's play calling.

When you read this title, you'll be like "Wait, What?" But Parker played WR for Hal Mumme and Offensive Coordinator, Mike Leach at Kentucky. There biggest pet peeve was to have an equal football distribution. Not Balance in the sense of run/pass balance but balance in the sense of every play maker touching the ball. Kelly wasn't great at this. You knew Mike Floyd was getting the ball, or Mike Mayer or pick your favorite St Brown. Daniels, Claypool. Boykin.

i know the opponents are not up to snuff yet. But 8 different guys scored TD's. I don't remember a vertical jump ball pass scoring a TD yet. I know some will be like Faith do we then have a system QB? I say look what happened during the brief time Mike Leach called plays for a defensive minded Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. Needless to say I like this direction.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 2

Great dig Faith!  It's one thing that's really bugged me about our offense for years, the unwillingness to equally distribute the ball.  We have had playmakers at the WR positions, ie more than one who could be entrusted to catch it in a game, for a long time.

But what happens if that designated person is covered and rendered ineffective for a game?  In the past we basically resorted to one of two options.  One was we keep trying to force it to that guy hoping things change, which could result in waiting too long and thus a sack, an INT, or actually passing to someone else.  The other option was go run heavy.  Teams with decent DC and talent could understand this.

This was a huge indictment against the previous staff, the offense, and how they tried to teach it especially to the QBs.  Kelly was not an offensive guru or QB whisperer, every QB we had regressed or didn't measurably improve their passing metrics under him.  Zip, nada, none.  

I love the fact that I cannot tell who is getting targeted from one play to the next so far.  More involvement and spreading the wealth is going to be difficult for teams to game plan us in addition to our strong run game.  Its basically new film etc they have to decyfer because we aren't remotely running what we have in the past under BK or his hanger ons.

• Heart 2

Just now, jessemoore97 said:

Great dig Faith!  It's one thing that's really bugged me about our offense for years, the unwillingness to equally distribute the ball.  We have had playmakers at the WR positions, ie more than one who could be entrusted to catch it in a game, for a long time.

But what happens if that designated person is covered and rendered ineffective for a game?  In the past we basically resorted to one of two options.  One was we keep trying to force it to that guy hoping things change, which could result in waiting too long and thus a sack, an INT, or actually passing to someone else.  The other option was go run heavy.  Teams with decent DC and talent could understand this.

This was a huge indictment against the previous staff, the offense, and how they tried to teach it especially to the QBs.  Kelly was not an offensive guru or QB whisperer, every QB we had regressed or didn't measurably improve their passing metrics under him.  Zip, nada, none.  

I love the fact that I cannot tell who is getting targeted from one play to the next so far.  More involvement and spreading the wealth is going to be difficult for teams to game plan us in addition to our strong run game.  Its basically new film etc they have to decyfer because we aren't remotely running what we have in the past under BK or his hanger ons.

Happy Birthday Jesse! I really that like we use so many skill players now. JD Price for example. @Big23Head has been correctly all over his talent. His build says you run him outside, throw him a pass, just get him in space, the next Chris Tyree. But Kelly only had like 1 play for Chris Tyree. It was that RPO slot screen that we saw over and over. Chris Tyree scored last week on a 20 yard pass to the corner of the endzone! JD Price has scored both running and receiving touchdowns. Payne got in the clear with a reception and scored

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Mike Leach had some serious issues.  Great offensive mind, but beyond that…

.I do too. My serious issue is Cerebral Palsy. Could have just as easily titled this. "Hal Mumme would be proud..." Or "Joe Moorehead would be proud.." Parker has worked for great offensive minds and overcome some personal struggles of his own. But the point remains that if ND keeps getting the ball to different players in different area's of the field, my mind says we'll like the results.

• Heart 3

32 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

.I do too. My serious issue is Cerebral Palsy. Could have just as easily titled this. "Hal Mumme would be proud..." Or "Joe Moorehead would be proud.." Parker has worked for great offensive minds and overcome some personal struggles of his own. But the point remains that if ND keeps getting the ball to different players in different area's of the field, my mind says we'll like the results.

I get where you're coming from.  No question I agree with the point that you're making. 

Leach's issue probably precluded him from being proud of anyone but Mike Leach.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Happy Birthday Jesse! I really that like we use so many skill players now. JD Price for example. @Big23Head has been correctly all over his talent. His build says you run him outside, throw him a pass, just get him in space, the next Chris Tyree. But Kelly only had like 1 play for Chris Tyree. It was that RPO slot screen that we saw over and over. Chris Tyree scored last week on a 20 yard pass to the corner of the endzone! JD Price has scored both running and receiving touchdowns. Payne got in the clear with a reception and scored

Thank Faith!  It grinds my gears seeing so many players wasted in years past who had more to contribute beyond the pigeon hole they were put in.  I don't know if it will keep going the whole season, but I am loving the RB depth and talent being utilized.  I hope it continues and reminds me of what we had under Lou with multiple studs on the stable.  Each played their role well and the team greatly benefitted even though one RB was never THE guy.

1 hour ago, TexasDomer said:

I get where you're coming from.  No question I agree with the point that you're making. 

Leach's issue probably precluded him from being proud of anyone but Mike Leach.

Being from Texas you know alot more about the Texas Tech situation than I do. He never got to run a big program as a head coach, I'm sure his actions there had something to do with it(I believe he got fired, don't remember exactly.)

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

Thank Faith!  It grinds my gears seeing so many players wasted in years past who had more to contribute beyond the pigeon hole they were put in.  I don't know if it will keep going the whole season, but I am loving the RB depth and talent being utilized.  I hope it continues and reminds me of what we had under Lou with multiple studs on the stable.  Each played their role well and the team greatly benefitted even though one RB was never THE guy.

Early playing time will keep helping skill recruiting too.  Kids want to know they will get a chance even if they only see action in lower leverage games.

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Being from Texas you know alot more about the Texas Tech situation than I do. He never got to run a big program as a head coach, I'm sure his actions there had something to do with it(I believe he got fired, don't remember exactly.)

I actually know a fair bit about the situation, but I won't go into it here.  There are reasons he got the coaching jobs he got.

I don’t know if getting rid of the ball faster was a part of the Mike Leach philosophy, but not only is Hartman distributing the ball more he’s also doing it faster. I don’t think it can be overstated how much better a QB Hartman is than any QB in the past 17 years. 

Personally, I love that this isn’t a read option offense and that it isn’t predictable. I watched Kelly’s postgame and they asked him about his (failed) plays on 4th and 1 at the goal line. Predictably , he said “read option” as if FSU didn’t have all year to prepare (and stuff) what Kelly handed them on a plate. There were also all of those “two many guys in the box” sideline passes. Kelly’s offense looks like a high school offense compared to what ND’s offense looks like so far. Hopefully , Freeman can continue to up the QB talent going forward in this offense. 

Edited by Frankus
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, Frankus said:

I don’t know if getting rid of the ball faster was a part of the Mike Leach philosophy, but not only is Hartman distributing the ball more he’s also doing it faster. I don’t think it can be overstated how much better a QB Hartman is than any QB in the past 17 years. 

Personally, I love that this isn’t a read option offense and that it isn’t predictable. I watched Kelly’s postgame and they asked him about his (failed) plays on 4th and 1 at the goal line. Predictably , he said “read option” as if FSU didn’t have all year to prepare (and stuff) what Kelly handed them on a plate. There were also all of those “two many guys in the box” sideline passes. Kelly’s offense looks like a high school offense compared to what ND’s offense looks like so far. Hopefully , Freeman can continue to up the QB talent going forward in this offense. 

great point. I would not say Leach made them get rid of the ball faster. Bill Walsh was known for that in the late 70s and 80s. But, what I will say is Parker's offense does not seem to be as complicated as Rees'. I don't see the sideline Check with me stuff. If it's a blitz call a blitz beater and get on with it(screen, draw etc) Hartman and Angeli are now allowed to go to the line and run the play. the play is called, we are not shifting 6 times and calling a time out.  We are not taking the starch out of our blockers waiting for the coach to dial it from long distance to create the "perfect look" that the defense can respond to anyway. Parker calls it, Guidulgi relays it, the QBs get the team lined up and the team has been executing.