2023 Preseason Rankings

FaithInIrish Forever
This post was recognized by FaithInIrish Forever!

tneun89 was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 25 points.

College Football Playoff Rankings
Will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 31 following Week 9 of the regular season.

AP Top 10

1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Ohio State
  4. Alabama
  5. LSU
  6. USC
  7. Penn State
  8. Florida State
  9. Clemson
  10. Washington

13. Notre Dame

Coaches Poll Top 10

1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Alabama
  4. Ohio State
  5. LSU
  6. USC
  7. Penn State
  8. Florida State
  9. Clemson
  10. Tennessee

13. Notre Dame

ESPN FPI Top 10

1. Ohio State
  2. Alabama
  3. Georgia
  4. LSU
  5. Texas
  6. Michigan
  7. USC
  8. Clemson
  9. Notre Dame
  10. Penn State

Full Rankings can be found here
https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

My wizardly predictions:

TCU?  Nope.

Oregon State?  Nope.

Texas Tech? Nope

Michigan will be good right up until the day they play Ohio State.  I just don't see Ohio State losing 3 years in a row.

I think USC goes to the playoffs unless ND beats them.

LSU will lose two games before the end of the regular season.

• Cheers 1

Overrated: FSU (they will have a decent record only because the ACC appears weak this year), Washington, TCU (I personally think TCU will be mediocre this year)

Underrated: UNC, Texas (maybe I fell for the annual Texas hype, but their roster looks pretty damn good)

Question marks: Oregon, Oklahoma, and Tennessee (so many weapons, hyped up QB, but inexperienced), Ole Miss (they have a pretty loaded QB room after the transfer portal).

I think Notre Dame should be around #10-11, but I'm not displeased with #13.

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. Alabama

4. Ohio State

5. LSU

6. USC

7. Penn State

8. Florida State

9. Clemson

10. Tennessee

11. Washington

12. Texas

13. Notre Dame

14. Utah

15. Oregon

16. TCU

17. Kansas State

18. Oregon State

19. Oklahoma

20. North Carolina

21. Wisconsin

22. Ole Miss

23. Tulane

24. Texas Tech

25. Texas A&M

Hey T, @Mike sent you a PM. Your leadership on this board has been noticed and we are so grateful.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. Alabama

4. Ohio State

5. LSU

6. USC

7. Penn State

8. Florida State

9. Clemson

10. Tennessee

11. Washington

12. Texas

13. Notre Dame

14. Utah

15. Oregon

16. TCU

17. Kansas State

18. Oregon State

19. Oklahoma

20. North Carolina

21. Wisconsin

22. Ole Miss

23. Tulane

24. Texas Tech

25. Texas A&M

I like starting at #13.  Once we beat OSU, we will be top 5.  🙂

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

I have no issue with ND's ranking. I think low teens is fair considering how last year went. But, certainly, I expect ND to climb into the Top 10.

There's always a Top 10 team who finishes unranked and an unranked team that finishes Top 10. I think PSU and FSU will fall out. Also curious to see what happens to Tennessee this year with a new QB (with plenty of starting experience). Was last year just a flash in the pan, or is Heupel building something?

In terms of unranked teams who could climb into the Top 10, that's nearly impossible to predict. I could see Iowa sneaking in there by the end of the season - they avoid Michigan and OSU and their out-of-conference schedule is favorable. Tough to trust an Iowa offense since Brian Ferentz is still the OC (nepotism at its finest), but I expect their defense to be stingy, as always. I would also put South Carolina up there. Not sure their schedule will allow that (UNC, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson), but they have an experienced QB in Rattler and I think Shane Beamer is a rising star. 

Less than three weeks to go...

• Heart 4

On 8/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:

I'll take care of it.  I post the poll threads every week.  I'll edit accordingly.  I have a whole system worked out that I do. 🍻 🍻

It's been too long since I saw a poll - just got too excited, didn't mean to steal your thunder! 🤣

Some thoughts on the AP Poll:

• I think PSU could be good, but I don't understand how they are a consensus Top 10 team. They have a great RB duo, but an inexperienced QB in Drew Allar (who could be very good, but hasn't shown much of anything in live action). They also lost a good chunk of talent on the defensive side.
  • I also think we might look back and ask why FSU was ranked in the Top 10. I think voters put too much emphasis on 10 wins last year, including a bowl win, and Jordan Travis coming back at QB. But if you look at who they actually beat last year, there were no ranked wins except for LSU (who was unranked at the time of the game).
  • You can't rank Alabama lower than Top 5 at this point in Saban's career because his teams are always up there. But this seems to be a year where they could finish outside the Top 10. While they have an incredibly talented defense, they have a problem at QB and their WRs aren't as talented as past years. I could honestly see them losing 3+ games this season (Texas, Tennessee, LSU).
  • Clemson also seems a tad too high, although I think Cade Klubnik will be another great Clemson QB. I just don't think they are as talented at the skill positions as they have been in the past, and Dabo's refusal to play the transfer portal game is going to hurt their depth. 
  • I think Oregon, Oregon State, and Wisconsin could all rise to Top 10. Oregon State is the biggest stretch, but I think their HC has them moving in the right direction after 4-5 years at the helm.
  • Teams outside the Top 25 who could make some noise: Texas Tech. Their schedule is favorable, and they get their biggest game (Oregon) at home. I think the Big 12 will be down this year, so I can see Texas Tech getting to 10 wins. Also a huge fan of their HC who had a good first year last year and has really improved the roster through recruiting/transfers.

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, tneun89 said:

It's been too long since I saw a poll - just got too excited, didn't mean to steal your thunder! 🤣

Some thoughts on the AP Poll:

• I think PSU could be good, but I don't understand how they are a consensus Top 10 team. They have a great RB duo, but an inexperienced QB in Drew Allar (who could be very good, but hasn't shown much of anything in live action). They also lost a good chunk of talent on the defensive side.
  • I also think we might look back and ask why FSU was ranked in the Top 10. I think voters put too much emphasis on 10 wins last year, including a bowl win, and Jordan Travis coming back at QB. But if you look at who they actually beat last year, there were no ranked wins except for LSU (who was unranked at the time of the game).
  • You can't rank Alabama lower than Top 5 at this point in Saban's career because his teams are always up there. But this seems to be a year where they could finish outside the Top 10. While they have an incredibly talented defense, they have a problem at QB and their WRs aren't as talented as past years. I could honestly see them losing 3+ games this season (Texas, Tennessee, LSU).
  • Clemson also seems a tad too high, although I think Cade Klubnik will be another great Clemson QB. I just don't think they are as talented at the skill positions as they have been in the past, and Dabo's refusal to play the transfer portal game is going to hurt their depth. 
  • I think Oregon, Oregon State, and Wisconsin could all rise to Top 10. Oregon State is the biggest stretch, but I think their HC has them moving in the right direction after 4-5 years at the helm.
  • Teams outside the Top 25 who could make some noise: Texas Tech. Their schedule is favorable, and they get their biggest game (Oregon) at home. I think the Big 12 will be down this year, so I can see Texas Tech getting to 10 wins. Also a huge fan of their HC who had a good first year last year and has really improved the roster through recruiting/transfers.

Great post all good. You guys are amazing!