Steve Angeli becomes QB2

And that's just fine by me. He showed Saturday he can function in the pocket with several WR and routes out there. He performed maybe even better than Tyler did. He showed last blue and gold he would give up his body for the team with a scrimmage winning TD run. He looks the part at nearly 6'3 with a solid arm and a New Jersey Private League State Title under his belt. Hartman will lead us but if ND needs Steve Angeli as a bridge to CJ  Carr, I think he's up to the task.

• Heart 1

I welcome this. Buchner has ability and wants to play. He just can’t earn it at ND. I’ll bet Angeli becomes a solid QB for ND. Not spectacular, but better than Pyne, better than Buchner was likely to become.  ND is in good shape for 2023. 2024, well, that depends on how Angeli and Minchey develop. I can’t imagine both of them sticking next year. One will win the job, and one will hit the road. 

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

I welcome this. Buchner has ability and wants to play. He just can’t earn it at ND. I’ll bet Angeli becomes a solid QB for ND. Not spectacular, but better than Pyne, better than Buchner was likely to become.  ND is in good shape for 2023. 2024, well, that depends on how Angeli and Minchey develop. I can’t imagine both of them sticking next year. One will win the job, and one will hit the road. 

Roster space is never a bad thing if its used well, Last years QB comp looks like it proved that neither of them really grabbed QB1. I hope he is in the next bunch with Angeli, Minchey and Carr. If not, the portal is there.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Roster space is never a bad thing if its used well, Last years QB comp looks like it proved that neither of them really grabbed QB1. I hope he is in the next bunch with Angeli, Minchey and Carr. If not, the portal is there.

For '24 starter:  If I had to bet on current roster, I'll go Minchey (but a long way to develop yet).  If I had to bet on reality, I'll bet portal again next year.  

One of these guys is an injury away from starting this year, and if it's sooner, it's Angeli.  A little scary, but guys step up.

• Heart 2

The Blue-Gold game has created unrealistic expectations about breakout players for as long as I can remember, so I’m not predicting anything based on the performances we saw.

What I am watching is how the QB position is going to be completely different from last season.  New OC, new starter and backup… just completely different.

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

The Blue-Gold game has created unrealistic expectations about breakout players for as long as I can remember, so I’m not predicting anything based on the performances we saw.

What I am watching is how the QB position is going to be completely different from last season.  New OC, new starter and backup… just completely different.

A good thing that the O-line won't be completely different.  It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this offense goes.  Hopefully the new OC turns out to be spectacular, one that every major program tries to poach after one or two years.  And hopefully Hartman turns out to be a better QB than ND has had in 20 years.

• Heart 3

Another good thing is I think Hartman, Angeli, and Minchey will be able to run the same offense. Buchner wasn't strong in the straight drop-back passing game... long release, timing issues. Everyone we have now looks better in the pocket. Carr will function in the pocket as well. Makes it easier for an offensive coordinator.

• Heart 1