DJ Brown Returning

Posted on his Instagram. This will be great for depth, but he’s far from a difference maker. Maybe another year under Balis and he breaks out, but ND can’t be a playoff team if he’s starting next year and producing like he has the past two seasons. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, XanderCrews said:

Not great if he’s starting. 

Kids improve. So wouldn't assume. But never expected him to be elite. 

I've viewed him as a situational starter/snap guy depending the O scheme / QB we face.

He's good at some things, not so good at other things. 

Regardless, at minimum, he's great depth. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Kids improve. So wouldn't assume. But never expected him to be elite. 

I've viewed him as a situational starter/snap guy depending the O scheme / QB we face.

He's good at some things, not so good at other things. 

Regardless, at minimum, he's great depth. 

But he’s not depth, he’s the starting FS. That’s not good. 

29 minutes ago, XanderCrews said:

But he’s not depth, he’s the starting FS. That’s not good. 

Our S scheme is a bit mixed (not really straight FS and SS). And bleeds between S and NB.

I have no clue how the S depth chart looks in September, but I'd guess we'll see some change.

Obvious returning guys - Brown/Watts/Henderson

Transfers - Harper was listed S at OSU, but played a hybrid NB/S position. He could be either NB or S in 23. I like him at NB, but skinny. He can pattern match in verts, so wouldn't be shocked if he's a S in our scheme. Chatter is we're still looking for more Ss..... 

Frosh - both likely will need time, but both will get looks. Both have great traits. 

Position swap (from CB) - IMO, our CB room will be crowded. Perhaps Riley, Barnes, or Tucker jumps from CB to S. I'd bet at least one does... 

• Heart 2

On 1/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, OKelleyIrish said:

Our S scheme is a bit mixed (not really straight FS and SS). And bleeds between S and NB.

I have no clue how the S depth chart looks in September, but I'd guess we'll see some change.

Transfers - Harper was listed S at OSU, but played a hybrid NB/S position. He could be either NB or S in 23. I like him at NB, but skinny. He can pattern match in verts, so wouldn't be shocked if he's a S in our scheme. Chatter is we're still looking for more Ss..... 

Frosh - both likely will need time, but both will get looks. Both have great traits. 

Position swap (from CB) - IMO, our CB room will be crowded. Perhaps Riley, Barnes, or Tucker jumps from CB to S. I'd bet at least one does... 

that’s not a good Safety room. Henderson & Brown are good enough to be starters on a legit title contender.

It's a position that can only be great with a strong front seven in terms of QB pressure and run stop without too much 2nd level help.  And I think the defense is stronger than last year at this time, so I'm hopeful.  Ultimately, I'm glad he's back, and looking forward to all of those guys developing.

I agree, it would make some sense that we see a corner move over, too.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

I like Barnes or Riley moving over. Barnes has great size and length. I was also impressed with him in practice clips and I know he cross trained. 

Riley is another candidate, however I have not seen or heard a peep about him since he stepped on campus. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

I like Barnes or Riley moving over. Barnes has great size and length. I was also impressed with him in practice clips and I know he cross trained. 

Riley is another candidate, however I have not seen or heard a peep about him since he stepped on campus. 

Riley flashed to me in clips and some notes after some of the spring practices last year early on.  But I saw more of Chance Tucker (even on special teams) this year.  Barnes and Riley have not gotten many opportunities since Mickey and Morrison showed up.

10 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Tucker is the only Soph DB who will likely be back. The other 2 didn’t even make the trip to the Bowl game.

11 hours ago, JeffV said:

It's a position that can only be great with a strong front seven in terms of QB pressure and run stop without too much 2nd level help.  And I think the defense is stronger than last year at this time, so I'm hopeful.  Ultimately, I'm glad he's back, and looking forward to all of those guys developing.

I agree, it would make some sense that we see a corner move over, too.

Tucker or Lewis would be the 2 likely candidates.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, XanderCrews said:

Tucker is the only Soph DB who will likely be back. The other 2 didn’t even make the trip to the Bowl game.

Barnes was there, but agree he could leave. Don't see any way Riley is on the team in '23. Thought Barnes would be a better player given his recruiting profile - Clemson really wanted him.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:19 AM, ndomer4 said:

Future is fun... lol.

Gonna be fast i guess. Young guys, position switches, etc. 

I like the HC making choices. 

• Heart 1