12th Game for 06

Guest Irish19

Guest Irish19

Since the new NCAA rule allows each team to play up to 12 regular season games, the Irish scheduled to play Army at ND Stadium on November 18. I think this is great. A virtual lock for a win and a chance to renew a once great rivalry. Next year the Irish play all three military academies and should win each game. I'm also a big fan of these mini-bowl games that will start in 2008. Every year, at different locations, ND will play a neutral site game against different opponents. What's your take on the Army game and one the Mini-Bowl games?

Guest IrishHog

I think they might call the Army game a confidence booster. I think that the mini games your talking about are the ones they will play at Giants stadium. If this happens I think it will only help recruiting out there in the east coast. Go Irish!!!

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Actually, I think they are planning on keeping the Giants stadium game, but adding a travelling "neutral site" game that will be in a diffent location each season. This gives them a chance to bring Notre Dame football to Irish fans who otherwise wouldn't get the chance to see them in person, without having to face a team on their home field. I love this idea, and hopefully it will condition the team for playing in the Southwest and other areas we don't play much. (Bowl games come to mind here.) As far as the Army game is concerned, I'm indifferent. I like that we will have a fairly easy win, and it's always a good game against the service academies, but I'm always cautious about any move that looks like we are trying to soften the schedule.

Guest IrishTobey

I like the idea too. I think it's great for the ND and the service acadamies. Playing ND will help give all of the men and women protecting us some much deserved recogntion. I'm not sure there is anything more American than a football saturday at the house that Rockne built with several thousand cadets or midshipmen in attendance.

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Yeah, when you put it like that, it kinda gives you chills. It'd be interesting to get a perspective from a player in one of the service academies. To hear about how they view the ND game and whatnot.

Guest IrishHog

Hey Snatchy, are you talking about this traveling site being maybe out west or in an area where ND doesn't normally get much exposure. This would also be a big move in the recruiting game the way I see it. The more people that take notice, the better we'll be. Thanks for the info. Go Irish!!

Guest Snatchy_McPants

As I recall from an article I believe was in the South Bend Tribune, they talked about a travelling "neutral site" game in the areas ND doesn't usally get much exposure. This would include the West, Southwest, and other areas. It's probably only limited by the existence of pro stadium or similar large venue. I'll have to do some fact checking, but I believe these games are being proposed as home games, granting ND the rights to ticket revenues. If anyone has any updated info on this, I'd be curious to know.

Guest Irish19

I know that they are considering Giants Stadium (NJ), Altell Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.), and I am pretty sure they said something about the Dallas-San Antonio area. It will be great for recruiting exposure.

Guest Snatchy_McPants

I think that the Florida site would be a major boost for recruiting, along with the Texas site. We already do pretty well in New Jersey, but every little bit helps. I really like the impact it will have on ND fans in those areas. Using the following article (Blue-Gray Sky) as a reference, I think the Irish would get a great turnout from Domers in the Southwest.:

Please note, this article is for reference of fan interest only. In no way is it intended as my endorsement for Notre Dame to play in the Sun Bowl.

Sun Bowl officials are courting the Dome...

Per the El Paso Times:

The Vitalis Sun Bowl has figured out a way to get Notre Dame on its radar screen.

Sun Bowl selection committee chairman John Folmer confirmed Tuesday that the game is on the verge of finalizing a four-year contract this week potentially matching Notre Dame or a team from the Big 12 or Big East with the Pac-10 third-place team beginning with the 2006 game.

"We're hoping that comes to pass as early as Thursday afternoon or maybe Friday," Folmer said of the deal, which is not yet in writing. "This scenario would offer us great flexibility. And with Notre Dame part of that scenario, what a great opportunity that would be for El Paso."

The agreement is similar to a verbal deal, reported this week by the Florida Times-Union, that's been reached between the Gator Bowl and the Big 12, Big East and Notre Dame to play an Atlantic Coast Conference team.

Gator Bowl president Rick Catlett declined to comment on that pending contract, but said his game "has been in discussion with the Big 12 for some time" and "desires to have a relationship with the Big 12."

Under the terms of the Gator/Sun deal, the Sun Bowl would wait until the Gator Bowl picked either the No. 5 Big 12 or No. 1 or 2 Big East team or Notre Dame, leaving the Sun Bowl with the remaining options available.

Notre Dame, a favorite among local football fans, hasn't played in any of the previous 71 Sun Bowls despite efforts to bring the storied program here in the past. With 640,000 Catholic members in 10 West Texas counties making up the Catholic Diocese of El Paso, Sun officials believe the Irish's potential presence here would be a huge coup.

"Without a doubt, Notre Dame is the school with the biggest football tradition in the country," Sun Bowl Executive Director Bernie Olivas said. "I'm a huge Notre Dame fan myself. It would probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see them play in El Paso, but that's only if we're able to seal this deal."

For Notre Dame to end up here for the first time, the Irish would have to be bowl eligible -- but not Bowl Championship Series eligible -- which they haven't been in six years, making them available to one of the Big East-tied bowls, including the Gator and Sun. Each bowl would only be able to play host to the Irish once in the four-year agreement.

"Notre Dame would be a tremendous draw in this area," said Robert Sanchez, a Coronado High School teacher and lifelong fan of the Irish. "Everybody's a fan of the Fighting Irish and they know about the symbolism and history that Notre Dame brings, like 'Touchdown Jesus' and the 'Knute Rockne era.' There is a gigantic fan base here."

Call this the "6-5" fallback.

One thing that's interesting: with the Big XII and Big East cozying up in not one, but two bowls, you have to wonder if a stronger Cotton Bowl option for ND is also forthcoming.

Guest IrishHog

This may be old news, but i just read an article that Kevin White has opened talks with the Buckeyes AD to renew that rivalry. That would be a dream come true for me. I've been gettin chin music ever since we lost back to back 95 and 96. There were no dates mentioned in the article but I'd love to see CW dimantle the worthless nuts. Go Irish!!

Link

The article is called Scripting Ohio http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_bluegraysky_archive.html

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Yeah, I recall that article. My office is about 50/50 Irish fans and Nut fans. Those guys live in another world. We're able to converse on some level because we share a common enemy, but that's about it. It's really kind of funny because I know that I, along with the majority of Irish fans, consider OSU to be a rival even the the all-time series stands at 2-2. This would be a wonderful rivalry to renew considering how loyal the fans are to both teams. I'll cross my fingers.

Guest IrishTobey

I grew up in Michigan with their fans, I spent alot of time in Tennesse with Vols fans, I've talked with Florida, FLorida State, and Miami fans, and hands down Buckeye fans are the most over the top. They put the fan in fanatic. Bring them on or at least wait until Ginn graduates. :lol:

Guest Irish19

I hate OSU and would like nothing better than to beat them. My best friend is a BuckNut and he rubs in that '02 championship every time I see him. I am confident that we could take them. Just because of the two wins over Michigan and Ok St. everyone has OSU in their top 10. Yea they have good LB's, but what else do they have? I would love to play them (and hopefully beat them).

Guest Snatchy_McPants

The worst part about it is that most Bucknuts have a very short-term memory. It's impossible to argue with them because history means nothing. Recent history means everything. If we get a couple great seasons back under our belt, and then take on a series with OSU, that would make for some great trash-talking.

Guest IrishHog

You hit the nail right on the head Snatchy. It doesn't mean anything that the series is 2-2 but it means everything that they beat us ten years ago. Return to glory and roast the nuts. Go Irish!!!

Guest Irish19

Speaking of future 12th games. The Irish scheduled a mid-november clash with Duke for 2007. I think that is great because it is a guaranteed lock for a win and it continues a great history with the ACC. I was glancing at the 2006 schedule. The Irish may be able to run the table. The toughest game is at USC, but I don't see another game on the schedule where the Irish are hopelessly outmatched. The Irish should be a lock for a BCS bid.