I could be wrong, but it seems like we have a SPAM problem

This is awful. Registration has been paused, which I DID NOT want right before the end of the season.

They're all getting flagged as spammers and content removed. I'll re-enable registration when I feel we're equipped to have it all blocked.

Sorry all. The team is on it!

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is awful. Registration has been paused, which I DID NOT want right before the end of the season.

They're all getting flagged as spammers and content removed. I'll re-enable registration when I feel we're equipped to have it all blocked.

Sorry all. The team is on it!

Isn't there a verification step (like a question, like the ND HC in 1987) ? Or approval option?

3 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Isn't there a verification step (like a question, like the ND HC in 1987) ? Or approval option?

Yup! New Registrations need to sign up via their Google, Facebook, or Apple accounts OR they need to answer the Notre Dame Championship question + pass Google's captcha and get a low spammer score in the forum software. Registration is likely manual, while the topics being created are scripted.

What I'll likely put in-place for now:

1. Requiring a positive reputation of a certain threshold to create topics. That's determined by any non-poo emojis. I wanted to allow new members to create topics if they had an imminent question, but I'm going to need to put this or something similar in-place for now. I won't go by post count since that can result in spam posts in other topics until that threshold is hit
  2. Already in place but increasing strictness - If content is reported by 2 members, it will be hidden automatically. Previously this was set at 5.

If you see spammers, poo & report it from existence. We'll get on it asap. I'll keep registrations off for now until I have a plan fully in-place.

• Heart 2

Alrighty, I think we're squared away. For now. Thank you for tackling those, @FaithInIrishForever.

Although registrations were disabled, it was still possible to bypass the manual registration by using 'Sign in with Google/Apple/Facebook'. I disabled those sign-in options for now and its email sign-in only. This should allow some time to breathe while I figure this out.

Sorry for all the spam finding a way through this morning. I looked at the expiration date and all that spam looks no good. The moderators and I will make sure to take out the trash.

* I don't see there being any issues accessing accounts, but if anybody has any problems or can't get logged in, please use the Contact Us button in the footer and I'll get you sorted out. And any spam that comes through there is my problem, only 🙃

• Trophy 1

4 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

looks like we had a spam bot that posted ALOT of threads quickly and @Mike brought down the spam hammer. I like to bring down the spam hammer but this one called for immediate hammering.

I wish it was a spam bot. It was like 30 of them 😭

• Heart 2