ACC Against College Football Playoff Expansion

I am a little surprised by this. I thought it was guaranteed to have changed. I have been thinking, is Swarbrick fighting conference champions automatic bids? I think this year is a prime example. Utah and Pitt would have jumped numerous teams... I still think 12 teams is too many.

Alabama (SEC)
Georgia (at large)
Michigan (B1G)
Cincy (at large)
Baylor (B12)
Utah (Pac12)
Pitt (ACC)
Notre Dame (at large)

• Heart 1

IMHO I think the ACC and possibly others are concerned with the college football landscape changing too quickly …..with NIL, transfer portal , coaches salaries . College  is were students go to learn to further their education. Colleges should not become a semi pro league for football. Again just my thoughts why the ACC is trying to put the brakes on this.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

IMHO I think the ACC and possibly others are concerned with the college football landscape changing too quickly …..with NIL, transfer portal , coaches salaries . College  is were students go to learn to further their education. Colleges should not become a semi pro league for football. Again just my thoughts why the ACC is trying to put the brakes on this.

It's too late for that... the current landscape pretty much says "who cares about education, give the athletes (no longer considered student-athletes) a piece of the pie.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Cheers 1

The ACC is against it in part because of ND.  They know the smaller playoff increases the odds ND would see the point in joining a conference.  A larger playoff could in theory give ND less of an incentive depending on how it is structured.

• Heart 2

Correct. In order to get an overturned 4 team system, you need to have unanimous votes as to the new structure..

After the playoff deal runs it's course, it will be a majority vote: You're either with us or not with us type of deal.. 

I don't see it changing before 2025