Impact of Money on College Football?

Impact of Money on College Football  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Impact of Money on College Football

• Positive- It helps to grow academic institutions through TV contracts, provides scholarships for players and New Marketing Opportunities like Name image and likeness
    • Negative- 20 commercials per quarter and the threat to amateurism. Boosters and recruiting etc
    • In between. Its here to stay. What can we do?

I think the way the money is distributed has been a major issue. The NCAA took a big step recently with allowing their student athletes to earn money instead of school's just taking advantage of their brands. But in the end it's a business in the school's eyes.

I don't think the impact of money is a negative, until it costs the fans, like ND on Peacock. When you're taking something away from the fans (access/channels to watching the games) to pad your wallets a bit more, then it's a negative. But bringing more money into the program via events, price increases, etc. could be a good thing if handled right.

• Heart 3

Just now, Mike said:

I think the way the money is distributed has been a major issue. The NCAA took a big step recently with allowing their student athletes to earn money instead of school's just taking advantage of their brands. But in the end it's a business in the school's eyes.

I don't think the impact of money is a negative, until it costs the fans, like ND on Peacock. When you're taking something away from the fans (access/channels to watching the games) to pad your wallets a bit more, then it's a negative. But bringing more money into the program via events, price increases, etc. could be a good thing if handled right.

Very good point. To me its nice to see the players benefiting from their own name image and likeness as well.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

Coaches salaries, in my opinion, are way too high.   There is no reason schools and/or states should be paying millions of dollars for coaching kids.  So many people are struggling, why in the world does a coach need 90 million?  I say cap head coaches salaries at maybe 200-300 hundred thousand.   Assistants can be capped lower.  That is more than enough money to live off of.  This would stop the stupid musical chairs or coaches.   The money could be spent so much better.   If coaches were paid a reasonable salary (200-300), then their would be much less cry for players getting paid.

The commercials during a game are way past ridiculous.   Wouldn't it be nice if the football games were played according to the game clock and not according to media time outs.   Commercials should only be allowed when there is a natural time out or break in the game.   The play of the game should not be directed by the media.  The flow of the game is gone. The luster is lost when you spend 4 hours watching a games with only 15 minutes of action....how can players be expected to stay in a flow.

I am going to throw this out there....probably get fried for it but....I am not anti-capitalist, but I truly believe capitalism has ruined college football.   I went to my first game back in 1977 or so.  I am very lucky to have enjoyed some of the best years of college football, I don't think we will ever get back to those good days....you can't when it is all about money.

• Heart 1