34 minutes ago, Irish_Thunder said:

Cut by the Cowboys, what could of been without that terrible injury. He'll get more chances but he's never been fully back to form after the nerve damage. 

Even with the injury I thought he was doing good. I thought they loved him. I don’t follow NFL enough to know about the last couple of years but he got the huge contract extension. Damn he’s still not hurting in the end but definitely could have been very different without the injury. Shocked he got cut 

Owed way too much money.

he started playing a little better this year but depth was too much to overcome. Micah Parsons is that dude.

he was bad his entire career in Dallas and never recovered from that nerve injury.

A damn shame he got hurt in the meaningless bowl game. 

Jerry did a class act and gave him a decent contract extension so he’s raked in tens of millions. 

7 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Owed way too much money.

he started playing a little better this year but depth was too much to overcome. Micah Parsons is that dude.

he was bad his entire career in Dallas and never recovered from that nerve injury.

A damn shame he got hurt in the meaningless bowl game. 

Jerry did a class act and gave him a decent contract extension so he’s raked in tens of millions. 

I think saying he was bad his entire career in Dallas is a little strong.

The guy was PBer in 2019. He also graded decent or better in every year by 2020. 

Probably better to say he didn't live up elite expectations.

I'd take him at MIKE for the Colts right now and at least let him play run downs. 

Parson is a dude, but he's been playing OLB/SAM right (while JS has been MIKE)? Haven't watched enough to see who's subbing for who, but looked at the snap counts and JS was still 2nd most in LB snaps. Guessing Neal will take over unless they totally shuffle some chairs. 

8 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think saying he was bad his entire career in Dallas is a little strong.

The guy was PBer in 2019. He also graded decent or better in every year by 2020. 

Probably better to say he didn't live up elite expectations.

I'd take him at MIKE for the Colts right now and at least let him play run downs. 

Parson is a dude, but he's been playing OLB/SAM right (while JS has been MIKE)? Haven't watched enough to see who's subbing for who, but looked at the snap counts and JS was still 2nd most in LB snaps. Guessing Neal will take over unless they totally shuffle some chairs. 

You haven’t watched enough cowboys games. He was bad on a bad defense.

They Cowboys did some moving around with lbs to get the best on the field. They thought parsons was only going to be a nickel defender and he ended up being better than advertised so they found a way to get him on the field in early downs really limited the rotation for Jaylon. They now have much better players with smaller contracts. End of story. 

I have a 3 week old newborn so can’t quote you all the pertinent details to change your mind but yes he was pro bowled and don’t know why and yes he’s sucked his entire career. I live down here and watch most of the games. 

27 minutes ago, JTennant said:

You haven’t watched enough cowboys games. He was bad on a bad defense.

They Cowboys did some moving around with lbs to get the best on the field. They thought parsons was only going to be a nickel defender and he ended up being better than advertised so they found a way to get him on the field in early downs really limited the rotation for Jaylon. They now have much better players with smaller contracts. End of story. 

I have a 3 week old newborn so can’t quote you all the pertinent details to change your mind but yes he was pro bowled and don’t know why and yes he’s sucked his entire career. I live down here and watch most of the games. 

I know he was bad last year, so you don't have to sell me on that lol... Just before that I didn't think he was bad at all. Not elite as expected, but decent. From what I saw it was mostly coverage issues??

5 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I know he was bad last year, so you don't have to sell me on that lol... Just before that I didn't think he was bad at all. Not elite as expected, but decent. From what I saw it was mostly coverage issues??

He wouldn’t have started on any other team. Hard to pinpoint it.. I’m sure it stemmed from his nerve injury. He was just never in good positions to make plays was a step slow, bad instincts not really sure.

he would get lots of tackles chasing guys down. But I never saw any of his play and thought oh wow what a good linebacker. Also played on a really bad defense. 

6 minutes ago, JTennant said:

He wouldn’t have started on any other team. Hard to pinpoint it.. I’m sure it stemmed from his nerve injury. He was just never in good positions to make plays was a step slow, bad instincts not really sure.

he would get lots of tackles chasing guys down. But I never saw any of his play and thought oh wow what a good linebacker. Also played on a really bad defense. 

I just read a couple things. He's been like top 5 in tackles most years.... and his PFF grades pre 2020 were pretty good. Looks mostly like coverage issues. He's got more Ts than the Colts Darius Leonard, and a better passer rating allowed. 

I do recall my buddy from TX saying he was the only guy tackling last year lol... so might them having a bad D just wore him down?

6 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I just read a couple things. He's been like top 5 in tackles most years.... and his PFF grades pre 2020 were pretty good. Looks mostly like coverage issues. He's got more Ts than the Colts Darius Leonard, and a better passer rating allowed. 

I do recall my buddy from TX saying he was the only guy tackling last year lol... so might them having a bad D just wore him down?

You’re bored buddy. Give it up.

the fact you even brought up Darius Leonard as a comparison is everything I need to know lol.

Darius Leonard is about to get locked up by the colts. He would start on any NFL roster. 

jaylon was a shell of his former self. He was 3 years into the NFL dealing with drop foot from nerve damage. Pro bowl etc popularity contest.

stats are for losers. Scouts don’t draft on stats. They watch film and look at your test scores. 

jaylon failed the eye test. 

1 minute ago, JTennant said:

You’re bored buddy. Give it up.

the fact you even brought up Darius Leonard as a comparison is everything I need to know lol.

Darius Leonard is about to get locked up by the colts. He would start on any NFL roster. 

jaylon was a shell of his former self. He was 3 years into the NFL dealing with drop foot from nerve damage. Pro bowl etc popularity contest.

stats are for losers. Scouts don’t draft on stats. They watch film and look at your test scores. 

jaylon failed the eye test. 

Leonard is already locked up.

So stats are for losers... OK... 

All those top 5 years leading in stats must have been loser tackles. 

I guess they extended him because he sucked? Did the all the people involved in the extension have bad eyes for the eye test?

6 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Leonard is already locked up.

So stats are for losers... OK... 

All those top 5 years leading in stats must have been loser tackles. 

I guess they extended him because he sucked? Did the all the people involved in the extension have bad eyes for the eye test?

Yes you're absolutely obsessed with stats. Who cares if he's racking up tackles. He was constantly out of position, not trusting his eyes, a step slow from the nerve injury etc.

Jerry extended him to show some loyalty and they didn't really have anyone else at that point. Sean Lee recently retired and Vanderesch was still progressing/getting better. 

As soon as they got a FA and a draft pick they cut him loose before his 2022 guarantee set in. 

Dallas decided to show some loyalty by rewarding him with a good contract because he's a self-less good dude who worked his tail off to get into football shape but they structured it so if they needed to move on they could do so without a ton of dead money. So they lose out on his 21 guarantee this year, no biggie. 

He's probably in better shape now than ever since going to NFL but I'll be surprised if he's picked up in anything but a stop gap measure like he was in Dallas for another NFL team

2 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Yes you're absolutely obsessed with stats. Who cares if he's racking up tackles. He was constantly out of position, not trusting his eyes, a step slow from the nerve injury etc.

Jerry extended him to show some loyalty and they didn't really have anyone else at that point. Sean Lee recently retired and Vanderesch was still progressing/getting better. 

As soon as they got a FA and a draft pick they cut him loose before his 2022 guarantee set in. 

Dallas decided to show some loyalty by rewarding him with a good contract because he's a self-less good dude who worked his tail off to get into football shape but they structured it so if they needed to move on they could do so without a ton of dead money. So they lose out on his 21 guarantee this year, no biggie. 

He's probably in better shape now than ever since going to NFL but I'll be surprised if he's picked up in anything but a stop gap measure like he was in Dallas for another NFL team

Well, tackles are kind of important in football... lol...

How is he constantly out of position yet still top 5 league in tackles? The rest of the defense must be super worse lol.

And let's not act like Leonard is no brainer elite. He's not great at all in coverage. He is good at tackling though. Our current MIKE is horrible at tackling, so I'd love to have Jaylon come in and be an early down hoover.

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

How is he constantly out of position yet still top 5 league in tackles? The rest of the defense must be super worse lol.

And let's not act like Leonard is no brainer elite. He's not great at all in coverage. He is good at tackling though. Our current MIKE is horrible at tackling, so I'd love to have Jaylon come in and be an early down hoover.

There are 60-70 plays a game by each team. Most of them end up with a tackle sans touchdown, fumble, run OB etc etc.

Scheme dictates who gets the tackle. Not everyone can be blocked. If you're tackling ball carriers 7-8-9 yards off the LOS I'm not going to be impressed regardless if it's the D Linemans fault you can't get any TFL etc. 

Watching him play was downright painful and I'm not the only Cowboys fan/watcher who would say so. Jerry was a nice guy giving him a contract but could have easily went another way. However Jerry is about family and loyalty to a fault. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:13 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

This didn't age well for you 😄

He gone; he was never good. His stats were misleading.

• Poo 2

16 hours ago, JTennant said:

This didn't age well for you 😄

He gone; he was never good. His stats were misleading.

Never really said JS was elite or great. IMO, he's still be better than the Colts depth currently. We've had to play our two starters near 100% of snaps. And Okereke just isn't very good vs the run at all. He's graded out well vs the Dolphins, Houston, and a broken footed Henry.... graded poorly the other games..  and leads the team in missed Ts. Our depth right now is Franklin and Speed. 

3 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Way to take joy in a ND man getting cut. Some of you guys are so petty.

It was a matter of pride proving my point to the resident expert on everything, lol. 😄 O'Kelley 

I see your point of view but I didn't mean it that way. In fact I was lamenting to all my cowboys friends what a guy they missed out on if the injury never happened. I'm an idiot with too much pride and that came off the wrong way. 

Edited by JTennant
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 1