Close game out west!

6 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

LSU averages a recruiting class in the top 5, UCLA is mid 30s. I don’t want to hear any excuses. Coach O is a bum, and if this were Brian Kelly, you’d want his head on a platter. 

I agree on recruiting. Conversely though, Chip stinks in that area.

Also need to consider what LSU has lost each year. 7ish players drafted this year, 15ish last year (5 in the 1st)....

A lot of variables. If Coach O is a bum, he has a Natty in the last 5 years..... 

My expectations of Kelly probably aren't the same as yours. ND isn't a football factory, so my expectations have been adjusted as such.

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I agree on recruiting. Conversely though, Chip stinks in that area.

Also need to consider what LSU has lost each year. 7ish players drafted this year, 15ish last year (5 in the 1st)....

A lot of variables. If Coach O is a bum, he has a Natty in the last 5 years..... 

My expectations of Kelly probably aren't the same as yours. ND isn't a football factory, so my expectations have been adjusted as such.

Gene Chizik also won a title. Anyone with a brain could see Brady & Aranda propped him up. 

10 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Gene Chizik also won a title. Anyone with a brain could see Brady & Aranda propped him up. 

Anyone with a brain knows all HCs who win typically have good OCs and DCs... One could say BK has been propped up by several good DCs. We have been known more for D than O in the BK years.... 

Orgeron has never been known as top tier HC or guru. He is an top tier recruiter however, and always has been since his USC days. I know his history well. He's a good fit at LSU IMO. Personality, cultural fit, recruiting, etc.. He just needs good employees (More OC than DC).

36 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Anyone with a brain knows all HCs who win typically have good OCs and DCs... One could say BK has been propped up by several good DCs. We have been known more for D than O in the BK years.... 

Orgeron has never been known as top tier HC or guru. He is an top tier recruiter however, and always has been since his USC days. I know his history well. He's a good fit at LSU IMO. Personality, cultural fit, recruiting, etc.. He just needs good employees (More OC than DC).

So he should be an Asst coach in charge of recruiting. He has no business being a HC in major college football. 

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

So he should be an Asst coach in charge of recruiting. He has no business being a HC in major college football. 

Teams can win with a variety of coach types and staff formulas.... HCs can be good D guys, good O guys, good CEO types, and good recruiters. All of them need good OCs, DCs, and good RCs...

Bottom line, Ed's winning % at LSU is slightly better than BK's winning % at ND (I used vacated as Ws, so not penalized)... And they have a NC.... So LSU's formula worked, whatever you think about Ed.

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Teams can win with a variety of coach types and staff formulas.... HCs can be good D guys, good O guys, good CEO types, and good recruiters. All of them need good OCs, DCs, and good RCs...

Bottom line, Ed's winning % at LSU is slightly better than BK's winning % at ND (I used vacated as Ws, so not penalized)... And they have a NC.... So LSU's formula worked, whatever you think about Ed.

If you gave Brian Kelly, LSU’s roster, he wins last night and probably goes 8-2 instead of 5-5. It’s amazing how you buy into this idiot’s cult of personality. Anyone can recruit at LSU, but the guy doesn’t have the Xs and Os savvy of a Pop Warner coach. 

6 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

If you gave Brian Kelly, LSU’s roster, he wins last night and probably goes 8-2 instead of 5-5. It’s amazing how you buy into this idiot’s cult of personality. Anyone can recruit at LSU, but the guy doesn’t have the Xs and Os savvy of a Pop Warner coach. 

I don't care about Orgeron... I just know his background. If you don't think he's not an A1 recruiter, you don't know his history. He's one big reason USC was a pain to us for so long... He didn't get hired by the NO Saints for his recruiting either.... His D coaching at USC were a big part of the their NCs in the early 2000s. 

I love BK.. he's a CEO type. His DCs have carried him a lot, and that's fine. His Os haven't been what most expected when he was hired. 

Takes all types.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:15 AM, jimbo said:

The DC they brought in to replace Aranda, Bo Pelini, certainly screwed the pooch down there. The other guy they brought in on offense, I think as passing game guru, was Scott Linehan. Both of them lasted just the 1 season. So LSU is now on their 3rd DC in as many seasons.

Sounds like Bo Pelini is LSU's version of BVG!

The issue is that Ed O got rid of Bo Pelini much quicker than BK got rid of BVG (and may not had to be told to do so)

• Heart 1

On 9/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, ELDER06 said:

If you gave ED O Kelly’s roster….Wait, he wouldn’t have this roster because he would of had higher recruits by now. Haha. Just messing with you. 
Look, before Saban, LSU’s last championship was in 1958. If it was so easy to recruit and win there, they would of had a lot more championships before Saban. The fact that Saban left should tell you something is missing there at LSU. 
Now for Miles(since, I know you’re going there)did win a championship but that was when he still didn’t mess everything up and had Saban’s recruits. Also, Saban was still trying to build the program at Alabama. So, he got lucky. 
ED O did what he’s supposed to do. He hired GOOD coordinators and got lucky with a qb transfer. That’s life now I’m college football. 

Now, for Kelly.  He will not receive any more breaks about recruiting and winning a NC with the new NIL rules in place. ND has the boosters and the money to be creative to get good recruits. Also, the fact that Freeman came in guns a blazing and nabbing top flight recruits when you used to scream it couldn’t be done should finally be put to rest. It’s put up or shut up the next few years. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

If you gave ED O Kelly’s roster….Wait, he wouldn’t have this roster because he would of had higher recruits by now. Haha. Just messing with you. 
Look, before Saban, LSU’s last championship was in 1958. If it was so easy to recruit and win there, they would of had a lot more championships before Saban. The fact that Saban left should tell you something is missing there at LSU. 
Now for Miles(since, I know you’re going there)did win a championship but that was when he still didn’t mess everything up and had Saban’s recruits. Also, Saban was still trying to build the program at Alabama. So, he got lucky. 
ED O did what he’s supposed to do. He hired GOOD coordinators and got lucky with a qb transfer. That’s life now I’m college football. 

Now, for Kelly.  He will not receive any more breaks about recruiting and winning a NC with the new NIL rules in place. ND has the boosters and the money to be creative to get good recruits. Also, the fact that Freeman came in guns a blazing and nabbing top flight recruits when you used to scream it couldn’t be done should finally be put to rest. It’s put up or shut up the next few years. 

It is easy to recruit at LSU, there’s so much talent in the region. And I never said ND couldn’t nab individual top recruits, they just can’t amass them in large quantities. If this was 10 years ago, and ND was in their current situation, I think they would have a legit shot to contend for a title. But now, the gap bw Bama and everyone else is so massive, I don’t see it going away until Saban retires.