BIG 12 Expansion

Big 12 expansion: League focused on BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF with potential moves soon, per reports

It appears as though the Big 12's expansion plans are coming into focus following the sudden departures of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC this summer. The Big 12's preference is to expand by four teams with a specific focus on BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, according to The Athletic's Max Olson. Invitations to the four schools could come as early as this month, and they may be able to join the league before the scheduled departures of Texas and Oklahoma in 2025, according to Action Network's Brett McMurphy.

"There's no definitive date, but I think it's better it happens in September, rather than later on," a source told McMurphy. "Particularly with those four [teams]."

This is where things could get messy. Texas and Oklahoma have to give 18 months notice to the Big 12 that they are leaving if they choose to do so before 2025. Two years of revenue distribution would also go to the Big 12. Cincinnati, UCF and Houston would have to give 27 months notice to the American. However, as we have seen in the past, all buyouts are negotiable. 

The goal of the four-team expansion would be to push the league back to its original 12-member alignment with the four aforementioned teams combining to fill a portion of the vacuum created when the league's top two programs (Texas and Oklahoma) dropped the Big 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-league-focused-on-byu-cincinnati-houston-and-ucf-with-potential-moves-soon-per-reports/

Seems like a good move. Not only are those four of the best and most consistent Group of 5 teams, but it allows the Big 12 to get into some bigger markets and gives them some leverage when negotiating their next media rights contract. BYU averages more viewers than any Big 12 school not named Texas and Oklahoma. Houston, Cincinnati, and Orlando are all big tv markets - especially Houston. Think this would be a good move for them. Add four good football schools and two good/very good basketball schools.

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Seems like a good move. Not only are those four of the best and most consistent Group of 5 teams, but it allows the Big 12 to get into some bigger markets and gives them some leverage when negotiating their next media rights contract. BYU averages more viewers than any Big 12 school not named Texas and Oklahoma. Houston, Cincinnati, and Orlando are all big tv markets - especially Houston. Think this would be a good move for them. Add four good football schools and two good/very good basketball schools.

I'd say it seems like the best move but I would describe it as a net-negative. Yes, BYU has some decent viewership but that's more a byproduct of their exclusive agreement with ESPN than it is a rabid fanbase. And, saying that you average more viewership than every non-oklahoma/texas Big12 team is not a ringing endorsement, since the other programs are not major draws, IMHO. Agreed on Houston being a big market but Orlando and Cincy aren't draws on the same level as the big markets/teams in the other P5 conferences. The Big12 is bleeding out and this is some gauze. They need a more permanent solution if they hope to remain relevant alongside the other power conferences.

Great pickup IMO. Not TX and OK level, but good additions. 

I think they need 4 more. I predicted the 8 below on another board, so far so good.

1. Cinci - rising school, FB and BB success
  2. UCF - Florida presence
  3. Liberty - unique base
  4. BYU - unique base
  5. Boise State - seems to always be in the conversation some way lol
  6. SMU - unique base
  7. Houston - another TX team
  8. Memphis - TN presence

20 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I definitely think the 4 they have coming is about as good as you can get.

OKelleyIrish, I think all those teams would be a great addition, except maybe Liberty. I feel like that would only benefit Liberty and the Big12 would not gain much from it.

Liberty is very good both in FB and BB (for a small IND/conf). They joined the ASUN in BB 3 years ago, and have won the league 3 years in a row.

They're a Christian school with solid sports, and would be comparable and complimentary to BYU and TCU.

The bigger thing, it expands the reach on the eastern coast, and brings with it a pretty loyal fanbase. Would set up a Liberty Flames (VA) / WV Mountaineer (WV) inter state rivalry. 

So the Big 12 (who was really the Big 10, since the Big Ten is actually the medium 14) looks like it might actually have 12 teams again lol...

Approved today. That was quick. Hope they pick up 4 more.

Big 12 votes to accept adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF to conference

https://weare.nd.edu/stories/police-officer-is-wired-to-help-people/