2021: Rebuilding an OL!

If Patterson moves to T, Iโ€™d rather have him at RT with Quinn Carroll or Tosh Baker competing at LT.

ย 

Tosh Baker good point. Knew I missed a Highly recruited player. I still kept Jarrett on the blind side for now you very well could be right.

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

My ideal OL (I think) is Baker, Carroll, Correll, Lugg, Patterson. Kristofic back up to either T and Gibbons for G.

ย 

Correll should have C locked up, LT will be the best of Patterson, Kristofic, and Baker. RT or RG is Lugg.

ย 

I think if a freshman plays it will be Rocco not Blake. I'm curious to see where Carmody is post spring.

My ideal OL (I think) is Baker, Carroll, Correll, Lugg, Patterson. Kristofic back up to either T and Gibbons for G.

ย 

Correll should have C locked up, LT will be the best of Patterson, Kristofic, and Baker. RT or RG is Lugg.

ย 

I think if a freshman plays it will be Rocco not Blake. I'm curious to see where Carmody is post spring.

ย 

We're in the same ballpark then. Its way early in the process. I just know ND has enough there to be serviceable

ย 

At 6'7 Lugg could play has played RG RT both I just moved him for the sake of two vets working together. I think you are right though.

ย 

We really need a spring practice sesson this year.

no kidding, ND cannot afford to go with out spring ball with a new QB and a rebuilt OL. remember just how bad NDs offense was the first game of the year against duke and that was with an experienced QB and OL.

We're in the same ballpark then. Its way early in the process. I just know ND has enough there to be serviceable

ย 

At 6'7 Lugg could play has played RG RT both I just moved him for the sake of two vets working together. I think you are right though.

ย 

ย 

Think Blake and Rocco will push to start at some point -- they are that good!

I'll admit, I struggle on oline when it comes to understanding what would put someone at guard vs. tackle. I get the basics (heft vs arm length/light feet) but get lost when we talk about patterson making a move from C to Tackle. Are there any articles out there anyone would recommend on NDs oline approach?

ย 

That being said, is it true that we've had an equal'ish blend of some freshman starting RT before going LT (eichenberg?) and some just going purely LT (Stanley).

ย 

One final point - Man, am I glad the days of Willingham/Chaz having such bare cupboards on the olines are so far behind us. While we have a metric ton of experience to replace, we have a ton of talent, a big chunk of which has significant time in the program. It makes it easy to forget how bad it had gotten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems like Fisher and Baker could do a job share at RT, similar to what ND did with Hainsey and Kramer in 2017 when Hainsey was a true freshman and Kramer was a redshirt freshman. It's been reported (BK may have even said this) that Lugg will slide inside to guard for the fall.

LT: Patterson

LG: Gibbons

C; Correll

RG: Lugg

RT: Baker/Fisher

9 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

It seems like Fisher and Baker could do a job share at RT, similar to what ND did with Hainsey and Kramer in 2017 when Hainsey was a true freshman and Kramer was a redshirt freshman. It's been reported (BK may have even said this) that Lugg will slide inside to guard for the fall.

LT: Patterson

LG: Gibbons

C; Correll

RG: Lugg

RT: Baker/Fisher

or if they don't want to move them Paterson could play RT. But I assume they move them.

• Heart 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, dangeruss said:

this year we are going to find out just how good OL coach jeff quinn really is.

This will be telling, for sure. But, personally, I don't enter the year expecting a line that is equivalent to last year's. More than any position other than QB, experience cannot be compensated for on OL. IMnoviceO, the list of coaches that can compensate for replacing that much experience w/o a perceptibleย drop off in performance is so short that you could call it generational. That's not to say we don't ask for it, that falling short of it would irreparablyย damage our performance next year or that it doesn't/does in and of itself define the quality of Quinn as an OL coach. Just not something I personally see as meaningfully plausible.