Sitting out?

Sorry Irishwave... this is a crap bowl against a crap team. I would sit out if I was a water boy. Seriously though, if I was given a 1st round maybe 2 evaluation , what value do I gain in facing a 7-5 team? None... Zero. Especially a ND team at 10-2 that never got past 15 after Michigan? F...that

Edited by VCDomer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the debate of players sitting our or playing due to NFL draft stock will continue for years, it strikes me as odd no one has mentioned the fact they may simply wish to play another game with their teammates, for their school and themselves.

I love the fact all players are in and none have come to Kelly and requested to be excused. It signals to me these guys are all in and despite the fan apathy, they represent what we as fans should all want, kids who are completely vested in finishing what they started. Can't wait to see them go out with a W and GO IRISH!

While the debate of players sitting our or playing due to NFL draft stock will continue for years, it strikes me as odd no one has mentioned the fact they may simply wish to play another game with their teammates, for their school and themselves.

I love the fact all players are in and none have come to Kelly and requested to be excused. It signals to me these guys are all in and despite the fan apathy, they represent what we as fans should all want, kids who are completely vested in finishing what they started. Can't wait to see them go out with a W and GO IRISH!

I understand both sides. As a fan, I always want ND’s best players to play, but I also work to be objective in understanding the risk. After Jaylon Smith, none of us should be upset if a player chooses to sit out any non playoff bowl game.

I’m sorry but fu(k that...

You start something - you finish it.

No you don’t. It is easy for fans to say ignorant stuff like this on message boards. If that is me I am sitting 100% of the time. I would never fault a kid for doing that.

Jaylon ultimately ended up working out. The university, the NCAA, and the fans are not going to cover the millions he would have lost had it not. These players do not owe anyone anything when it comes to making a living and providing for their families.

I understand both sides. As a fan, I always want ND’s best players to play, but I also work to be objective in understanding the risk. After Jaylon Smith, none of us should be upset if a player chooses to sit out any non playoff bowl game.

Spot on post but 2 additional points, 1) Jaylon had an insurance policy in place for the exact type of thing which played out and was a Millionaire before ever being selected. Most star players have the same type of policy and why they're protected for the Playoffs etc. While it may not approach their potential earnings of a second or third contract, it does provide them a measure of security; 2) I believe I'm accurately quoting him but when asked if he would do the same again, knowing he faced a career threatening injury, he said he's do it the same as before...again, players simply want to play and a testament to his character.

Thankfully Jaylon's God given talent and work ethic paid off and he's sure to enjoy both a prosperous career on and off the field. Few are as fortunate and why I don't find fault with anyone's decision as we are often ill informed as to all the reasons why they turn pro...family circumstances, peaking and not improving draft stock etc but in the case of this year's Irish team, glad to see our players fully vested and why confident they will go out on top and an Irish WIN! GO IRISH!

Spot on post but 2 additional points, 1) Jaylon had an insurance policy in place for the exact type of thing which played out and was a Millionaire before ever being selected. Most star players have the same type of policy and why they're protected for the Playoffs etc. While it may not approach their potential earnings of a second or third contract, it does provide them a measure of security; 2) I believe I'm accurately quoting him but when asked if he would do the same again, knowing he faced a career threatening injury, he said he's do it the same as before...again, players simply want to play and a testament to his character.

Thankfully Jaylon's God given talent and work ethic paid off and he's sure to enjoy both a prosperous career on and off the field. Few are as fortunate and why I don't find fault with anyone's decision as we are often ill informed as to all the reasons why they turn pro...family circumstances, peaking and not improving draft stock etc but in the case of this year's Irish team, glad to see our players fully vested and why confident they will go out on top and an Irish WIN! GO IRISH!

Draft insurance policies are only available for players projected as top two rounders. Not everyone can get that coverage. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-insurance-white-paper

I expect a player to say that. He might believe it, but that’s the PC thing to say. Again, I don’t fault a player one way or the other. I can appreciate wanting to battle it out one last time, but I also would understand not wanting to risk millions of $ to play in a meaningless Bowl game.

No you don’t. It is easy for fans to say ignorant stuff like this on message boards. If that is me I am sitting 100% of the time. I would never fault a kid for doing that.

Agree to disagree. You’re letting down your team, your fellow students, your school. But, oh well...

Letting them down in the Camp World Bowl?? Come on man.

Again, agree to disagree. If I’m a teammate of his, and he’s such an integral part of the team - the MVP in fact, and I’m skipping Christmas break and time with family to play in whateverthefu(k bowl, you’re damned right I’d be pissed if he chose not to play.

Selfishness, no matter the financial reasons behind, it do not sit well with me.

Again, agree to disagree. If I’m a teammate of his, and he’s such an integral part of the team - the MVP in fact, and I’m skipping Christmas break and time with family to play in whateverthefu(k bowl, you’re damned right I’d be pissed if he chose not to play.

Selfishness, no matter the financial reasons behind, it do not sit well with me.

Absolutely disagree. Family comes before anyone and anything. Risking being able to financially support your family at the sake of missing a meaningless bowl game would be a no-brainer.

If a teammate, coach, or fan tried to say otherwise I would tell them to kiss my @ss.

Absolutely disagree. Family comes before anyone and anything. Risking being able to financially support your family at the sake of missing a meaningless bowl game would be a no-brainer.

If a teammate, coach, or fan tried to say otherwise I would tell them to kiss my @ss.

Guess it depends on how meaningless it is to the player. I'm guessing means a little more to those guys then a fan on a message board.

You also have to understand what it takes to be a high level D1 player at a school like Notre Dame.

Those guys go through Hell with each other each off season and build a brotherhood that we can't understand.

Would you let your brother down and sit out a game to protect yourself? Obviously guys do, but there is a reason that more don't. They all understand the risk, they also understand the blood and sweat they've poured out for each other and aren't willing to look their teammates in the eyes and tell them they're on their own for this last game.