Saudi Roll in 9/11 Oil Price War with US

The Iran deal is major reason the OPEC meeting in Doha yesterday went nowhere to freeze production. What's the point is capping production when they are increasing at a rate of knots?

Iran is not a tiny country btw. It is a very interesting market for a lot of companies to enter as they have an educated population and despite what you might think one of then more progressive young demographics in the ME. This country used to be one of the US closest allies. They are tired of the older generations nut jobs and want to enter the world markets once again. And US sanctions have not been lifted yet. Until it passes congress no US company can go there and no banks will touch financing for fear of massive fines. Once that hurdle is cleared then their oil will really start to flow.

Like Cuba, I agree it is better to engage with these guys rather than keep them in the cold. If your going to be best pals with the Saudis then you can't say this is a bad deal.

I definately dont like our relationship with the Saudis, I just fail to see how making deals with Iran is beneficial for us.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well fracking does suck, reason for people not liking it. Anytime you mess with the earth it's gonna bite back. But your right I mean what's the alternative there isn't enough panels and turbines to light and fill the consumtion of this country. So it goes back to how you handle this situation. Hopefully an alternative because Russia has been making power plays in the Middle East and China in Africa to gain access to more natural resources. Best for the US to somehow focus on alternatives. And unless folks want 10 a gallon not much we can do about SA. Which actually goes back to the Iran deal, they hate the Saudis and vice versa, it is in our advantage to make deals with Iran to have them compete with SA. Obama got that deal done at least. SA hated we made that deal with Iran.

I know that no one on this board wants to hear this but the reason Bush wanted to go to Iraq was to gain access to more oil. The Iran deal Obama without a war opened up a **** ton of exports to Europe and the us with the sanctions lifted. The sole reason that the Saudis had to lower there price and is the reason we have gas under $2. In my view, the Saudis are worse than Iran but they both are pretty bad folks to deal with.

The reason it's an unpopular opinion is that it simply isn't true. Do you know how much oil/fuel we burnt thru in a single day of operations in Iraq? Fighter jets, supply aircraft, Abrams tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles, helicopters, scores of Humvees, hundreds of thousands of tons of equipment being shipped on massive vessels from the States every day, power for every base, etc. 24/7/365....for years.

We used far more oil during the Iraq War than we could've ever hoped to gain. And that isn't even taking into consideration the fact that the Republican Guard burned most oil fields during the invasion. Access to oil is not the reason we invaded Iraq.

Edited by echo88

Your last sentence is very true. I remember right before 9-11 there were experts who were predicting the fall of their government within a year or two. It didn't happen, but apparently there must have been a lot of unrest that was festering which now seems to be placated to an extent.

They started pumping even more money into the welfare system after The Arab Spring garbage in the Middle East back in 2011. That's the cost of maintaining the status quo.

I know that no one on this board wants to hear this but the reason Bush wanted to go to Iraq was to gain access to more oil.

This is a popular conception, but it's not accurate. Michael Hayden, a four star Air Force general, former director of the NSA, and former director of the CIA, wrote an interesting book about security in the USA (Playing to the Edge). In it he describes the situation leading to US involvement in Iraq. He clearly notes that all security services involved believed to their cores that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. It was a great mistake and he admits it. But to say the US involvement in Iraq was all about oil is not true. It sounds good, but it's not what lead to that disaster.

f Texas and big oil.

Us and Canada barely provide any oil

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Hopefully opinions are based on analysis of facts.

Here's a fact: The US is the number one (#1!) producer of oil in the entire world. #1. So, my opinion is that the US provides a lot of oil.

Regarding 'f Texas', here are some more fun facts:

(1) Texas has lots and lots and lots of wind farms. In fact, Texas has more that 3 times as much installed wind energy capacity production as #2 California. That's a lot of green energy production.

(2) Texas is currently #10 (and climbing) in installed solar capacity.

So, my opinion is that it's not all about oil and gas in Texas.

Heck, please make sure to get in touch with me next time there's an ND game in the DFW area. I'd love to host you and show you what Texas is. Maybe you could form more fact-based opinions about Texas after that. You'd probably be surprised.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Hopefully opinions are based on analysis of facts.

Here's a fact: The US is the number one (#1!) producer of oil in the entire world. #1. So, my opinion is that the US provides a lot of oil.

Regarding 'f Texas', here are some more fun facts:

(1) Texas has lots and lots and lots of wind farms. In fact, Texas has more that 3 times as much installed wind energy capacity production as #2 California. That's a lot of green energy production.

(2) Texas is currently #10 (and climbing) in installed solar capacity.

So, my opinion is that it's not all about oil and gas in Texas.

Heck, please make sure to get in touch with me next time there's an ND game in the DFW area. I'd love to host you and show you what Texas is. Maybe you could form more fact-based opinions about Texas after that. You'd probably be surprised.

If you are talking about one country versus another small country,yes it is a big producer. However, it is still only 9% leaving the rest to our friends in the Middle East and Russia. I love Texas, just not the fact that one industry holds a stranglehold on energy policy. However, I will pass on Dallas invite I am more of a San Antonio Austin guy.

As far as the Iraq war, GOP senators and Bush cabinet members have stated that was the reason. Cheney who is also famous for "deficits don't matter" made the statement that the US would receive nice compensation from the Iraq war. Not to mention the ties between most of the cabinet and the companies that took over oil production as soon as We occupied including Chevron Haliburton ect.

This is a popular conception, but it's not accurate. Michael Hayden, a four star Air Force general, former director of the NSA, and former director of the CIA, wrote an interesting book about security in the USA (Playing to the Edge). In it he describes the situation leading to US involvement in Iraq. He clearly notes that all security services involved believed to their cores that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. It was a great mistake and he admits it. But to say the US involvement in Iraq was all about oil is not true. It sounds good, but it's not what lead to that disaster.

Actually we went to war to get revenge for the assignation attempt on W's daddy.

No one really believed they had wmd's.

That's all political cover, legacy stuff.