Early Temple Scouting

This Temple team is doing very well this year. They are playing desperate with a strong defense and a Standout Running Back in #5 Jahad Thomas.

To me the strength of the defense is pass coverage. They cover well against their level of competition in man and zone. 11 starters returned on defense.

Do to such good coverage and a combination of a bad Penn State O-line and well timed blitzes they were able to bring Hackenberg down 10 times.

Their running back has great feet, can catch the ball out of the backfield and is their primary kickoff returner who took one back 100 yards against Cincy.

There QB PJ Walker still has parts of games where he struggles and parts where he's really good.

He does seen to have a feel for crossing routes so ND will have to cover them better.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVrpkc6EQ0[/ame]

Its a team with Less depth then Virginia but more success this year. ND will hafta both get the running game going and take deep shots. If they play man, expect the deep shots first, if they play a 2 deep, I would lean on the run first.

They're talented at db but also small so Brown and Robinson could really help in this game.

I'm excited to take my nephew next week.

Its a game where we have more talent, but we need to avoid the Virginia Surprise factor and take care of it. I don't expect it to be as loud a road atmosphere in an NFL stadium though.

Hope ND comes out well off the bye.

Temple plays a 4-3 East Carolina team on Espn2 tonight I believe at 7 PM

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temple is on the tube tonight against East Carolina. Will be tuning in for the early game on ESPN2. We need them to win and move up a spot or two. Big game Saturday with Utah at USC. If these games go well for us then the odds are looking pretty good that we control our own destiny. Big Stanford fan now!!!

they are #7 in total defense giving up very few yards

they are # 111 in total offense gaining very few yards

this looks like a terrific match up for us---

if they get by East Carolina they can still be undefeated and maybe number 21

But THEY HAVE LITTLE CHANCE against us

No matter how good their defense has been they simply cannot keep us from scoring unless they move the ball great offensively--and THEY ARE NOT MUCH on the offensive side

I just don't know how they can get the 30 points they need to win a tough defensive game----without some real magic, blocked punt, 2 pick 6 or some such..

VERY UNLIKELY they can keep up with.

Good record, good defense , but no firepower ----you need a PUNCH to win in CFB

This one will be easier then we expect

aloha's

I would agree, all their stats have been against below average to terrible teams with maybe the exception of Penn State. However, who here would consider Penn State a quality opponent right now. Even with the weak competition, they are decent in some stats and still very bad in many others. I dont see this game being close, but lets hope Notre Dame does not play down to their opponent...

they are #7 in total defense giving up very few yards

they are # 111 in total offense gaining very few yards

this looks like a terrific match up for us---

if they get by East Carolina they can still be undefeated and maybe number 21

But THEY HAVE LITTLE CHANCE against us

No matter how good their defense has been they simply cannot keep us from scoring unless they move the ball great offensively--and THEY ARE NOT MUCH on the offensive side

I just don't know how they can get the 30 points they need to win a tough defensive game----without some real magic, blocked punt, 2 pick 6 or some such..

VERY UNLIKELY they can keep up with.

Good record, good defense , but no firepower ----you need a PUNCH to win in CFB

This one will be easier then we expect

aloha's

I can see Temple losing to ECU...or play a tight game and squeak by with a win...and then go on to play the game of their lives against Notre Dame and make us look like we barely beat them

I can see Temple losing to ECU...or play a tight game and squeak by with a win...and then go on to play the game of their lives against Notre Dame and make us look like we barely beat them

Every team they have played is ranked lower than 50th in offensive efficiency, with 4 being in the bottom 30...ECU is currently ranked 48th...

ND has played 3 of the top 20 (Navy, USC, Clemson)

Ga Tech is 39th

Then Texas at 61, UVA at 68, and Umass at 76

ND is currently ranked 9th...

Every team they have played is ranked lower than 50th in offensive efficiency, with 4 being in the bottom 30...ECU is currently ranked 48th...

ND has played 3 of the top 20 (Navy, USC, Clemson)

Ga Tech is 39th

Then Texas at 61, UVA at 68, and Umass at 76

ND is currently ranked 9th...

Totally get that...I actually looked up the offenses they played (rankings: 112, 7, 51, 91, 124, 128 )..even Cincy ranked 7th in offense, hasn't played a legitimate defense

Having said that, I believe Virginia is currently ranked 96th in the nation in total offense and they played the game of their lives against us...Anything can happen in College Football

Agreed. I see ND running away with this one. When I see a good RB at a school not known for a good OL, I think of elite athletes that have just outrun inferior defenses. ND presents elite athletes all over the field on defense. I see Sheldon Day setting up shop in their backfield, ND getting out ahead early, and Temple being forced to abandon the run

Agreed. I see ND running away with this one. When I see a good RB at a school not known for a good OL, I think of elite athletes that have just outrun inferior defenses. ND presents elite athletes all over the field on defense. I see Sheldon Day setting up shop in their backfield, ND getting out ahead early, and Temple being forced to abandon the run

That would be an ideal Formula. RB Jahad Thomas is a lot of their total offense. Our first priority needs to be him regardless. Our offense scores on virtually everybody. So I expect ND to do that. How close the game is depends on:

1. How Well Kizer defeats multiple coverage looks, They like to play coverage. Rush 3 or 4, until it gets to 3rd down, or across the 50 then they will dial some pressure.

2. How quickly we put a lid on RB Jahad Thomas.

That would be an ideal Formula. RB Jahad Thomas is a lot of their total offense. Our first priority needs to be him regardless. Our offense scores on virtually everybody. So I expect ND to do that. How close the game is depends on:

1. How Well Kizer defeats multiple coverage looks, They like to play coverage. Rush 3 or 4, until it gets to 3rd down, or across the 50 then they will dial some pressure.

2. How quickly we put a lid on RB Jahad Thomas.

I think the coaches need to help Kizer out by calling some underneath routes when teams drop into coverage

I still think Running back Thomas is nifty, but their O-line is getting beat to the punch sometimes. WR Anderson had a nice double move but Walker could not get it to him. We can Tempo temple too probably and use tight ends. 7-3 ECU with impressive running and tempo.

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

If ND is a playoff team, they'll beat Temple 38-6. Very little offense, solid D, by nowhere near the athletes ND has.

Temple RB Thomas scores after ECU pass interference in the Endzone. Will say Walker the QB warmed up pretty nicely in that drive. 10-7 Owls. Part of it Cory is I wanted an excuse to watch a game tonight.