Borland Retires - Fear of CTE

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

"San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies the past season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma."

My jaw literally hit the floor after reading this. (1) The 49ers have had literally the worst offseason I can remember. Harbaugh, Willis and now Borland. Gore, Crabtree, Smith are gone. And Tomsula is your new coach (2) This may be the start of athletes leaving the game to preserve their health.

- Borland was a STUD rookie looking to make millions. No injuries but doesn't want CTE.

- Patrick Willis left cause of chronic toe injury.

- Jake Locker retires due to injuries even though he coulda been a backup.

- Jason Worilds retires to do other things

- Jones-Drew - only 29 but he likely wasn't gonna make any team so retirement expected

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was surprising to the Niners also. Very mature decision for Borland honestly. I've seen other players retire young from the game also recently. No doubt of the violent nature of the game whether people want to admit it or not. Kid seemed like a great person and wish him the best in the future.

Isn't soccer the #2 sport for concussions?

I'm sure soccer has some concussions fighting for headers but nowhere near football, hockey, rugby, boxing, etc. Those sports are heavy on physical contact and the "mini" concussions through repeat blows to the head build up over time. I also haven't seen any soccer players drooling into their cereal at age 50.

I'm sure soccer has some concussions fighting for headers but nowhere near football, hockey, rugby, boxing, etc. Those sports are heavy on physical contact and the "mini" concussions through repeat blows to the head build up over time. I also haven't seen any soccer players drooling into their cereal at age 50.

The fact remains that soccer is still number two for concussions, behind football. But let's be real, what is the percentage of football players who are "drooling in their cereal"? Those are the numbers I would like to see. I've known a lot guys who played football, and I would have a real hard time coming up with one name that has had any CTE effects or anything similar from football. Mind you I don't have many people I know who played pro, maybe 3-4. But all of them played through high school and many through college like me. Most have joint injuries that affect them from football, bum knee, shoulders and the like.

Soccer is not number 2. Stats may support it as number 2 but that's only because there's not sufficient stats for more physical sports. You can't tell me that on average a soccer player gets more concussions than a boxer. Or a hockey player.

Watch League of Denial. Great documentary. NFL even pressured ESPN to remove logo and promotion behind the documentary due to television partnership. Was on Netflix but looks like it's free on PBS online per the link below:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

And as for players drooling in their cereal...I'm focusing only on the players that turn pro. It's those extra 5-10 years that seem to really do damage. Hence why Borland retired. Watch League of Denial and there will be one stat in there that you can't ignore...don't wanna give it away...but in case you want the spoiler here it is below:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/76-of-79-deceased-nfl-players-found-to-have-brain-disease/

I can only go by the stats at hand. I don't know how they compile them, only that soccer was number 2 according to those numbers. I could easily see how soccer players can get minor, multiple concussions from practicing using their head to strike the ball and doing it in a game. Whether or not that is more or less than another sport is irrelevant, it's still reported to occur with some higher amount of frequency in order to be included. When all the contact sports are taken away, will soccer change its rules and not allow head contact with the ball since concussions will only be happening there? Or should swimming and wrestling jump on parents for how dangerous soccer is?

I don't disagree that pros are probably going to be more representative in the concussion stats. Obviously playing at that elite level for an added amount of time compared to the other 99% who didn't go pro, will certainly play out in the stats. However going by that logic and the numbers of players who actually achieve that level, why is it necessary to campaign against football in general by the other sports? If it's mostly a problem only at the pro level then most players and parents shouldn't have to worry about it ever becoming an issue.

Personally I don't really care for most pro sports including the NFL and don't follow the goings on in that league. I just know that it's a hot button issue with a lot of people, who in turn will not allow their children to participate in football because of the CTE fears. If, as you are saying, it is a problem stemming mainly to pro careers moreso than the lower levels of participation, why do we need to freak out all the youngsters and parents?

I agree with you that the majority of people I know that played football in high school and college seem to be fine. However, I have just 2 more points:

1 - Another spoiler for League of Denial. They've found CTE in high school and college players. Eric Pelly (18) who died 10 days after his 4th concussion playing rugby. Owen Thomas (21) was a Penn football player that committed suicide and had early stages of CTE. They also talk about the effects of Pop Warner and how damaging concussions can be to the developing brain. Not only knock out concussions but the little hits to the brain over time. However I agree with you that all of the people I know that played in high school and college football (including myself) seem to be fine with no CTE. So the majority of stats seem to indicate this may be freaking out on the side of me / parents. I love football. Favorite sport. I only played in high school and watch it all the time. But I can distinctly remember one tackle where I went black afterwards for about 3 seconds.

2 - Kids play in sports with dreams of going Pro even though only 1% make it. Hence why millions of kids sign up for Pop Warner and high school ball. Will that change once kids know they must retire young (like Borland) or have a high likelihood of sacrificing their body for millions and getting CTE? I think so. Or will that change once parents/kids start seeing their favorite pro players suffering or killing themselves from CTE? I think so. Or will the overall talent level diminish as more kids log the hours in other sports (think of why the talent level is so rich in football compared to soccer)? I think so.

I can only go by the stats at hand. I don't know how they compile them, only that soccer was number 2 according to those numbers. I could easily see how soccer players can get minor, multiple concussions from practicing using their head to strike the ball and doing it in a game. Whether or not that is more or less than another sport is irrelevant, it's still reported to occur with some higher amount of frequency in order to be included. When all the contact sports are taken away, will soccer change its rules and not allow head contact with the ball since concussions will only be happening there? Or should swimming and wrestling jump on parents for how dangerous soccer is?

I don't disagree that pros are probably going to be more representative in the concussion stats. Obviously playing at that elite level for an added amount of time compared to the other 99% who didn't go pro, will certainly play out in the stats. However going by that logic and the numbers of players who actually achieve that level, why is it necessary to campaign against football in general by the other sports? If it's mostly a problem only at the pro level then most players and parents shouldn't have to worry about it ever becoming an issue.

Personally I don't really care for most pro sports including the NFL and don't follow the goings on in that league. I just know that it's a hot button issue with a lot of people, who in turn will not allow their children to participate in football because of the CTE fears. If, as you are saying, it is a problem stemming mainly to pro careers moreso than the lower levels of participation, why do we need to freak out all the youngsters and parents?

We did some research on this the other day because someone said that soccer had more head injuries than football and I was flabbergasted. Turns out that at the lower division and high school level soccer has a higher occurrence rate, but once you get out of that age group football dwarfs it by comparison. At least from what I recall.

We did some research on this the other day because someone said that soccer had more head injuries than football and I was flabbergasted. Turns out that at the lower division and high school level soccer has a higher occurrence rate, but once you get out of that age group football dwarfs it by comparison. At least from what I recall.

And that is about what I expected, especially for younger players. My wife was worried when I got my 4th grader into full pads this past fall. He plays OT and DE, and I helped to coach both the lines. I assured her that at this point the players(especially the linemen) look more like they are dancing or playing patty-cake with each other than the hard collisions seen at the older levels of football. Even tackling, most of the kids just stand around the ball carrier and "hug" them until they fall down. The form and technique just isn't there yet at the younger ages for most, but there are a few exceptions with some kids.

When I had to get registered to be an assistant coach, the course I was required to take really placed an emphasis on proper technique and fundamentals with tackling. Hopefully with those lessons getting drilled into players and coaches better and improved helmet technology etc, some of the CTE stuff will be minimized over time.