Gas Grill advice?

I'm needing a new gas grill. I tried the Char-Broil infra-red last time and it was pretty much a pain in the butt. I used it until the burners rusted, but I couldn't stand it.

So far, I've looked into Broil King and Weber. Both have models in the $400-700 range, which is a bit more than I'd like to spend, but the last two times I went cheap, I got cheap.

Specifically, I comparing the Broil King Signet 20, Weber Spirit E-310 and Weber Genesis E-310. Any real world experience would be great, or if there is another brand in that price point you've used, I'd look at those as well.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough to go wrong with weber. But, as you know, that comes with a premium.

I ended up with a Charbroil Infra Red last year, only have used it a few times but so far it was a huge step up from my previous grill (which isn't saying much).

If I had had the budget, I'd have went with Weber and never looked back.

Speaking from real world experience, I had a Weber Genesis for 15 years, that was until my divorce and the wife ended up with it. I took the smoker!

I just purchased the spirit 2 years ago and it seems to have the same quality as the Genesis model, just a little smaller version.

I didn't get the side burner option or the one with the special grate that is interchangeable. Just bare bones gas grill from Weber and have never had an issue with either of them. I highly recommend them. I took the grease tray out about once a year and pressure washed it but other than that, no maintenance.

You will be happy with either of the Weber grills.

I have the Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D Smart Space Living 36,000 BTU 3-Burner LP Gas Grill. I've had it for 1 year and absolutely love it. I live in a Chicago highrise with a smaller balcony so I was deciding between the Dyna Glo ($250) and the Weber Spirit E310 ($500).

I grill year round and this heats up quickly and stays hot in winter. Has plenty of grill space for a bachelor like me or when I have friends over. It's durable. And much cheaper than the Weber 2 and 3 burner models. Plus great reviews on Amazon. I also like that the sides fold up/down given I only have a balcony. When I grill, I also use a grill basket for vegetables so I can keep that on the left and then grill a few burgers on the right. It's definitely not as much space as a 4 burner gas grill but I've found I rarely would use all 4 burners on my old grills.

I love threads like these. Could seriously read about grills all day long. Glad nobody started an "As Seen On TV" thread otherwise I'd be happily reading about Bacon Bowls & The Slap Chop for hours on end. Please continue. I'm waiting for someone to bring up the Green Egg...

I love threads like these. Could seriously read about grills all day long. Glad nobody started an "As Seen On TV" thread otherwise I'd be happily reading about Bacon Bowls & The Slap Chop for hours on end. Please continue. I'm waiting for someone to bring up the Green Egg...

He suggests that he didn't want charcoal, but I thought about bringing that one up anyways. The price tag on those is stupid. I'm building a gas grill/smoker out of tube steel this summer. It's going to be able to use charcoal or gas.

Is your grill going to be one of those riser types where you raise it up for gas and lower it down for coal? I know Chef's Choice sells a version of it at Sam's. Good luck with your project! Some of the best grills are homemade "ugly" grills. Especially if you can tweak and perfect the indirect heating in it. Stacks work well for circulating hot smoke over food, same as vents; but I'm sure you already know that. I had a friend use some type of flower pot inside his coal grill to kind of evenly keep the heat centered towards the food. Worked amazingly well, too...

Is your grill going to be one of those riser types where you raise it up for gas and lower it down for coal? I know Chef's Choice sells a version of it at Sam's. Good luck with your project! Some of the best grills are homemade "ugly" grills. Especially if you can tweak and perfect the indirect heating in it. Stacks work well for circulating hot smoke over food, same as vents; but I'm sure you already know that. I had a friend use some type of flower pot inside his coal grill to kind of evenly keep the heat centered towards the food. Worked amazingly well, too...

It's going to be a smaller version of a double barrel smoker, but with gas burners on both the top and bottom barrels. I am putting in shelves for charcoal in both barrels as well. It will most likely be a cobbled together hillbilly deluxe.

Pay the extra and get the Weber. I have had mine for 10 years and it is still in amazing condition. Automatic ignition works on first try every single time, no rust, even cooking. I was hesitant to spend the money, but it has easily paid me back.