Hoyte Remarks

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

:D It was really interesting to read Hoytes remarks. He seems to have a fire in his belly.

The part where he mentioned the old days and a guy playing ball with a busted nose or all banged up brought on some nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong we needed to read that but realisticaly we can't ever go back.

There's a story of my old HS coach that the principal a religious Brother stopped by to watch practice. One of the players had a bloody nose and Coach shoved dirt into his nostrels. He told the Brother I know it looks cruel but it's the only way to stop a nosebleed.

Today with parents, NCAA and doctors and media galore none of that can happen and the coach would soon be out the door. It's a fine line they have to walk with the players 2005. A team must be aware of heat prostration and make sure the players rest and hydrate.

In general I feel players are better, quicker, bigger and more intelligent then in the past. I'll toss in tougher too. (At least Notre Dame's guys are. :D )

Sir John

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Hoyte Taking Leadership Role Seriously

Brandon Hoyte By Jerry Strabley

Date: Aug 10, 2005

Brandon Hoyte begins his final season as the most experienced linebacker on the Irish defense. He played in all 12 games in 2004 and was second in tackles with 74. The senior will be one of two captains for this year’s squad. His leadership will play a big role in the success of the defense and will be important in the development of the younger players. Irish Eyes talked with Hoyte about the upcoming season.

Veteran linebacker Brandon Hoyte has set definite goals for the 2005 season.

“My goals are simply to get better in every aspect of my game and to make sure that as a leader I live up to every potential that there may be,” said Hoyte. “The outcome of the season will tell if the goals have been accomplished.”

The “Quick-Thick-Nasty” attitude fits the linebacker well. Hoyte was thrust into action in his second season due to injury, and started the first game of the season against Maryland. Hoyte’s physical play was apparent when he recorded eight tackles and one sack in his very first start.

“In my eyes, it is to do whatever it takes to win the game,” said Hoyte of the “Quick-Thick-Nasty” slogan. “It is to work until there is no more work to be done. In my eyes, it is to go out there and just literally give it your all just like it was in the old days. You would see guys with a nose busted and all banged up, and in my eyes just an old-school player.”

The captain’s role is important to the New Jersey native, and he said he feels honored to be nominated by his teammates.

Before anything, you have to check yourself and make sure you are doing everything right. That’s one thing I have tried to do and keep on doing,” said Hoyte of his leadership role. “Quite frankly I don’t know any other way to play the game. That mentality is the way to do it, and I don’t know any other way but to step on the field without any doubts you are going to win the game.

“You convince people by what you do. When you are out there on that practice field going 100 hundred miles an hour and making plays, and that transpires to the game field, in my eyes that is how you convince people. Sometimes a guy needs a little talking, but I’ll tell you what, if you have a guy’s helmet off, that is better than talking.”

Hoyte also said is impressed with the effort and the attitude of the younger players on the squad, which make his job easier.

“We have a lot of young guys who right now are really on the same level,” Hoyte said. “Don’t take young as a negative thing. I practice with these guys on a daily basis, and they are some of the hungriest guys I have been around. I feel fortunate to be with them.”

The dependable senior has been thinking about his final season, and he’s hoping to have a different ending than last season.

“It has been on my mind since last January,” said Hoyte. “You have to take that mile step, and that is what I have done. The results of last season will be a motivator for every game we play.”

Brandon Hoyte’s performance on the field and his leadership will be counted on this season, but it will be important for young linebackers to develop quickly and become contributors also. Hoyte’s leadership should push this Irish defense to new heights.

Guest SirJohn

:D Try NDNation for one site. Sorry I didn't provide a link. :oops:

I must get in touch with Ryan to change my "Which Senior will have a better year" vote to Hoyte :D :D :D

Sir John

Guest SirJohn

Thanks snatchy. :D

I know it was just "talk" but again what you want to hear. I think somewher another player said "clock in and more or less hustle and bust butt in the practice or 60 minutes of football and then clock out." There's the "business" part again. I don't think Coach Weis is into the hot spirited pep talk angles. Let Jappy do it. :D

It takes all sorts to mold or put together a disjointed puzzle which ND sure has been in the past.

It is the strangest thing...somwhere I'm not sure when it was I think between December and March I simply quit worring about Notre dames team under Prince Charlie.

Sir John

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Anytime! I used to post articles as soon as I found them, but this friggin' "job" gets in the way of my internet posting. Why can't I just get paid to sit in front of the computer???

Guest SirJohn

Guys let's not argue among ourselves here, as Ryans Senior Writer COUGH! GAG! CHOKE!...He called me that old,old SOB with the foggy memory.. :( :D :D

Is it my fault I last learned 'cut and paste' in kindergaten years ago? (I think I failed too...at least I remember my mom trying to peel my sticky shirt off and half my skin peeling away.)

You two are young your whole lives are ahead of you. Girls-sex, beer and Notre Dame football. I'm uncertain how to list them cause I don't know your priorities. :D

Sir John

Guest SirJohn

Snatchy my observation has been, get married sex and the girls go out the window. Then it's either beer and Notre Dame football :D :lol: :lol:

Now I know we have women members here so.........they can tell us their side about all of us guys.>>>>Sir John heading for the hills to hide.

(Bravery is facing USC. Suicide is an angry women.) :D

Guest Irish19

Most of my priorities are being pretty good to me (Girls and ND). So I will leave with what Lou Gehrig once said:

"Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth."

Guest SirJohn

Toby that's cool. A 5 month old? Mine are grown now. I can recall watching them grow up. My five year old girl doing wheelies on a mothercycle. Watching her in front of a computer like this making me feel like a complete ignorant A-hole. See? The best is yet to come. :D :D :D Enjoy.

PS I was at my Brother in Laws house last year. He's retired and we were in the back yard as he played with his 3 year old grandson. The kids father said "Dad I don't ever recall you playing like that or this much with me when i was that young."

My broyher in law turned to him and held up two fingers. #1. I was working 12 hours a day back then and now I am retired. #2. You were in the house everyday for 18 years. I know in an hour or so this one will go gome with you, I only get a couple hours a week. :D

Sir John

Guest IrishTobey

that's a pretty cool story. I'm really wrestling with that b/c I want to make more money to provide but I also want to be home more too. I just trust the almighty Father to lead, guide, and provide. He's never let me down yet. I love having a little boy. He has a number of little ND outfits that he is going to wear this year during games. He's going to be my good-luck charm this year. He won't even have a chance to be a fan of another team :D