Who is going to have a breakout year?

Guest Ryan

Guest Ryan

I say Darius Walker. The kid is a phenom. He has all the tools, explosiveness, agility, and unbelievable vision.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2004/0911/photo/a_walker3_ft.jpg

I've stuck by Travis Thomas this long. This kids bio is phenominal. Other than the Losingham staff having a brain fart, why Thomas he was sitting on the bench last year is beyond me. Anybody would have fumbled with the hard shots Thomas took in the BYU game. I look for him to really come into his own in whatever postion he plays. This kid is one tremendous athlete. Again, read his bio.. You'll be scratching your head.

Guest rustyzipper
I've stuck by Travis Thomas this long. This kids bio is phenominal. Other than the Losingham staff having a brain fart, why Thomas he was sitting on the bench last year is beyond me. Anybody would have fumbled with the hard shots Thomas took in the BYU game. I look for him to really come into his own in whatever postion he plays. This kid is one tremendous athlete. Again, read his bio.. You'll be scratching your head.

Crap....I forgot to log in. That's me above, rustyzipper.

Guest KBNoTReDaMe

Here's my breakout performers...I won't put guys like Quinn or Fasano because they have been established starters for a while

On offense: I see only a couple of guys that could "break out."

1. Jeff Samardzija. I see Jeff S. having a big season since he has the best hands out of all the WRs and great size. I think he could turn out to be the team's go-to-WR this season.

2. D.J. Hord. I know he may be a 5th WR or so, but his speed will help. I think Hord will turn heads this year, and will give some hope for the WRs for the 2006 season even with Mo, Rhema, and Matt graduating.

On Defense: There are many guys that could "Break Out."

1. Victor Abiamiri. VA is way too talented not to be a force game in and game out. I see VA coming up with double digit sacks this season.

2. Trevor Laws. I was at the spring game, and Laws was awesome. I don't expect him to be an All-American type of plyer, but I do expect Laws to be as solid, if not more solid, than Greg Pauly was last season.

3. Chinedum Ndukwe AND Anthony Vernaglia. Duke should be all over the field this season making a lot of plays. Vernaglia will be a great acdition this season. His size/skill/athleticism is way too high not to make a true impact. Whether AV plays LB or Safety, he should be very effective.

Guest IrishTobey

I'm with you Rusty. Thomas needs to take the next step. He's a load and we need depth at running back. He and Walker could be one mean two-headed monster. I would have liked to see Thomas at the Blue/Gold game with the first team for a few snaps. I think this kid could be the home-run threat ND needs in the backfield.

Guest Snatchy_McPants

I think the most obvious answer here is Darius Walker. No favoritism for seniors this year, may the best man play. With a year under his belt, and getting the touches he truly deserves, D-Walk should be stellar.

The other name that comes to mind is Justin Hoskins, who I feel did not get nearly enough playing time last year. We all know how Charlie loves versatility, and Hoskins provides just that. Lightning in a bottle. I look for him to see major time on special teams, in the running game, and probably in passing situations. Keep in mind that he was held out of the Blue-Gold game because of a suspension...............or to keep him under wraps?

Guest IrishTobey

I'm just playing devil's advocate here but I would think that Walker's break-out year was last year. I would define break-out year for someone who has yet to contribute or contributed very little. Walker was the reason ND won a number of games and I think he's already broken-out. To me Hoskins, Thomas, Vernaglia, Lambert, etc... would be guys more fitting of a "break-out" year instead of Walker. No flame intended. Just an observation for discussion.

Guest Snatchy_McPants

I agree with that Tobey. I guess it would be better said that this will be Walker's "rightful" breakout year, which was essentially robbed of him last year. Also, I think you're right about the guys in the secondary. Between suspensions, poor personnel decisions, and even poorer gameplans, the secondary we saw on the field last year will be a totally different animal from the one we see this year.

Guest Ryan

I think Darius will develop into one of the best players in the country if Weis puts enough emphasis on the running game. As I said, he has all the tools, they just need to be exposed. I don't consider last year his breakout year. He had to share a lot of time with Grant, and Ty didn't use him as he should have.

Guest IrishTobey

You know the more I think about it the guy who may have the break out year is Stoval. If we define break-out as talent manifesting itself on the field with production then I'm not sure anybody has more talent or potential than Stoval. Walker could have a huge year but we've seen him do it in several games. Where is Stovall's big game? Maybe as a freshman agianst MSU. He may actually fit the criteria better. Something tells me that with Weis at the helm the whole team will break-out but we'll have to wait until Sep 3rd at 8:00. Not that I'm counting down the days. :lol:

Guest Snatchy_McPants

Days??? Try seconds............ I've NEVER wanted summer to end so quickly. Good points on Stovall, I've got to believe he'll come out with one heck of a chip on his shoulder after three seasons of "bust" rhetoric. Hopefully he'll play with that "now or never" attitude, because in reality that's the situation he's facing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest domehead

Stovall!!! this guy is our red zone guy...throw the ball up and let him go get it..I see him as a frequent go to target ..and I believe CW is totally going to utilize him as that.