Official 2022 Fall Practice Tid Bits Thread

I feel like he needs to work on developing a qb…  I have YET to see a developed qb since Kelly took over.  The only developed qb was Coan who was developed outside the program.  I’m getting tired of the same crap…Book was horrendous as an actual passer who could read a defense and hit a man who was open before he was open.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, irishwavend said:

I feel like he needs to work on developing a qb…  I have YET to see a developed qb since Kelly took over.  The only developed qb was Coan who was developed outside the program.  I’m getting tired of the same crap…Book was horrendous as an actual passer who could read a defense and hit a man who was open before he was open.

I've just been honest with myself on QB recruiting. Most have been average recruits. IIRC, Buchner was outside the top 10 a bit, but was decently ranked. But I've always seen him as a project. 

As far as this season goes, I think Buchner brings the most upside, while Pyne is likely the better passer. 

Book wasn't that bad. He was never seen as a stud coming in. He outperformed expectations, so I'll at minimum appreciate that. 

Carr is the fist legit top 5 guy we've had in a while. I'll bide my time lol. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I've just been honest with myself on QB recruiting. Most have been average recruits. IIRC, Buchner was outside the top 10 a bit, but was decently ranked. But I've always seen him as a project. 

As far as this season goes, I think Buchner brings the most upside, while Pyne is likely the better passer. 

Book wasn't that bad. He was never seen as a stud coming in. He outperformed expectations, so I'll at minimum appreciate that. 

Carr is the fist legit top 5 guy we've had in a while. I'll bide my time lol. 

I like where Marcus is Telling the Qbs to have a Command Presence. Have you seen what happens when Tom Brady and a receiver get it wrong? Brady corrects it on the field. To often, in my opinion Kelly was the Command Presence. If the players don't work through things themselves I would argue problems are more likely to occur on gameday. 

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I like where Marcus is Telling the Qbs to have a Command Presence. Have you seen what happens when Tom Brady and a receiver get it wrong? Brady corrects it on the field. To often, in my opinion Kelly was the Command Presence. If the players don't work through things themselves I would argue problems are more likely to occur on gameday. 

IDK Faith. Brady commands respect because he's earned it over a long period of time. Buchner and Pyne are 1st year QBs and likely need as much corrective coaching as the WRs/TEs. But I do agree the QB should be vocal if the WR or TE runs the wrong route or makes the wrong read. And they should do it until it's done right. But the "presence" itself is earned over time. And typically the guy commanding needs to be close to role model himself before guys fall in line. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

IDK Faith. Brady commands respect because he's earned it over a long period of time. Buchner and Pyne are 1st year QBs and likely need as much corrective coaching as the WRs/TEs. But I do agree the QB should be vocal if the WR or TE runs the wrong route or makes the wrong read. And they should do it until it's done right. But the "presence" itself is earned over time. And typically the guy commanding needs to be close to role model himself before guys fall in line. 

I see where you are coming from. I agree Leadership is that way. But you can have a discussion on your way off the field at any age. I just want to see/hear about more discussions between players. The 5 on the line I know always have a unique bond on offense, but more of that on the team will help. I think Coach Freeman has already started to foster that by letting his coaches talk to the media. I just look forward to no pictures of Kelly going crazy with an ND shirt on. The players can't benefit too much from watching their coach explode.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I see where you are coming from. I agree Leadership is that way. But you can have a discussion on your way off the field at any age. I just want to see/hear about more discussions between players. The 5 on the line I know always have a unique bond on offense, but more of that on the team will help. I think Coach Freeman has already started to foster that by letting his coaches talk to the media. I just look forward to no pictures of Kelly going crazy with an ND shirt on. The players can't benefit too much from watching their coach explode.

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with Freeman exploding lol. I like fire. 

Harry has fire, so I'm sure the OL will be taking a nice step forward this season. 

On QB, I do want there to be communication, and I do want the QB to lead and be vocal. But I just expect "presence" to grow over time. Regardless of level of presence though, both QBs should be openly dialoging real time with their targets, and learning every rep. And until QB1 is identified, and has some experience, I expect the position coaches to be jumping in to be corrective, regardless of if it's the QB, WR, TE, or RB making a goof. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with Freeman exploding lol. I like fire. 

Harry has fire, so I'm sure the OL will be taking a nice step forward this season. 

On QB, I do want there to be communication, and I do want the QB to lead and be vocal. But I just expect "presence" to grow over time. Regardless of level of presence though, both QBs should be openly dialoging real time with their targets, and learning every rep. And until QB1 is identified, and has some experience, I expect the position coaches to be jumping in to be corrective, regardless of if it's the QB, WR, TE, or RB making a goof. 

I personally prefer the head set spike! ala Nick Saban, just kinding, kinda. Anyway, Freeman turned the music up a few periods so the players had to communicate more like gameday. Coaches will  be on the field.  But there can't always be an open book test and than on gameday its the SAT. So I just see a few operational differences in practices, I like. Of course, post season I have an opinion whether I think they helped, right now I just think they are good ideas.  

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I personally prefer the head set spike! ala Nick Saban, just kinding, kinda. Anyway, Freeman turned the music up a few periods so the players had to communicate more like gameday. Coaches will  be on the field.  But there can't always be an open book test and than on gameday its the SAT. So I just see a few operational differences in practices, I like. Of course, post season I have an opinion whether I think they helped, right now I just think they are good ideas.  

I hope they pump in as much noise as they can before the OSU game. That place should be crazy loud. Don't want our players walking around in awe of all the stuff happening around them, or simply unable to function given the pure loudness of the place. 

I don't mind tossed headsets at all lol. Not every game or anything, but there are times when I think it's more than fine. And I'm OK with a player getting a chewing if they make an obvious mistake that costs the team. Not every time. Not the first time a player goofs. But if a player doesn't learn, they need a little chewing (because it's likely the gentle coaching didn't work before). 

Everything in moderation lol. 

• Heart 1