Coach Denbrock and Coach Bullough meet the media

Denbrock’s offenses have continued to evolve. Here are a few key clues to how that will translate this offseason in South Bend:

► He values the run game and Notre Dame’s history of leaning into it, but he has come to look at its place in the overall vision of the offense in a different light.

“I think any great offense revolves around the ability to be able to run the ball,” he said. “Having said that, I will say that I think I'm more open than I was years ago to not just pounding my head against a brick wall, and just understanding that the game has changed.

“And the more athletes you can get out in space and create mismatches is also a good way to play offense. So, there'll be a good balance of that. There'll be afternoons where we run it 50 times and there'll be afternoons where we may throw it 50 times.”

► And speaking of running, a quarterback who can be involved in the running game, as Daniels was heavily at LSU and Duke transfer Riley Leonard figures to be at ND, is essential to success.

“I think in today's college football, it's important when you get against elite defenses to be able to have some element of that in what you do,” he said. “It doesn't have to be the major factor. It doesn't have to necessarily be the deciding factor.

“But there are going to be instances in almost every football game. And I think that even happened here last year with Sam [Hartman]. There were times where he had to get out of the pocket and make a play with his feet, and it led to some pretty positive results. And so, those things will be an element of what we do for sure.”

► He is open to new ideas, whether they come from Freeman or outside of the meeting rooms of the Guglielmino Athletics Center.

“[Freeman] was very familiar with a good piece of it from some of the things that we did at Cincinnati,” Denbrock said. “And there'll be some elements of it that are alive and well in what we do here. And we added a lot of things to that the last couple years that I think benefited and make it better.

“Hopefully, we'll add a few things this year. Whether that was some of the things that they did a year ago that the kids are really familiar with and do a good job of executing or whether that's a new idea from the Miami Dolphins or the Philadelphia Eagles or wherever it comes from — or another college team. [I’m] always open to trying to be better at what we're doing and how we're doing it.”

-Eric Hansen

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

As i've told you guys in a number of my studies Denbrock is denbrock he wants to spread it out and play 3 WR

As always you were right. 👏🏼

Consider me excited! 😆 

12 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

As i've told you guys in a number of my studies Denbrock is denbrock he wants to spread it out and play 3 WR

I like it but I wonder if we’ll see a few RBs have position changes and/or transfers due to potentially limited opportunities in backfield. 

Should be an interesting spring. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

I like it but I wonder if we’ll see a few RBs have position changes and/or transfers due to potentially limited opportunities in backfield. 

Should be an interesting spring. 

He'll use RPO to so there will be times when a running back is the 3rd receiver. Its KEEP DIVE PASS  instead of KEEP DIVE PITCH

Its a little or a lot technical so my apologies. But there will be times when the backs are slot receivers in the RPO whether they start in the slot or not.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

What you’re talking about here Faith could be big for the RBs, and especially Notre Dame football, seeing as how all of the RBs on the current roster can catch the ball very well!

To be honest, I can’t remember the last time a NDFB RB couldn’t catch the ball well? 😂

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Baldy said:

What you’re talking about here Faith could be big for the RBs, and especially Notre Dame football, seeing as how all of the RBs on the current roster can catch the ball very well!

To be honest, I can’t remember the last time a NDFB RB couldn’t catch the ball well? 😂

Its the new normal really with running backs. Love and JD were not going to fit the Estime/Tony Jones JR mold very well anyway. There was a reason Freeman didn't go after Ludwig again this offseason. The ground and pound is super limited, you need the old line(veterans) and a big back for that. Freeman saw the roster and how the Rees school failed Tyree and Tyler Buchner and BAMA that the days of running goalline offense at the 50(13 might as well be goaline) Gotta get the athletes in "GREEN GRASS" as Denbrock says

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Its the new normal really with running backs. Love and JD were not going to fit the Estime/Tony Jones JR mold very well anyway. There was a reason Freeman didn't go after Ludwig again this offseason. The ground and pound is super limited, you need the old line(veterans) and a big back for that. Freeman saw the roster and how the Rees school failed Tyree and Tyler Buchner and BAMA that the days of running goalline offense at the 50(13 might as well be goaline) Gotta get the athletes in "GREEN GRASS" as Denbrock says

Yes!!

Exactly right, and what we call adapt and change!

Love it!!! 🍀🏈💪🏼

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Yes!!

Exactly right, and what we call adapt and change!

Love it!!! 🍀🏈💪🏼

Yup. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its full proof. But what they're doing is putting more "Eggs in the Quarterback basket" Denbrock empowers the QB to run or pass or call a sight adjustment, change the play etc. Denbrock defines his own Offense as a QB centered spread offense. Alot of QB's can game manage a running back/run heavy offense. This is different. If Denbrock was here last year whether we liked it or not Hartman would of had more passing opportunities and Estime would of had to adapt. I think Leonard who can run and the lack of a 1 a starting running back but with lots of options intrigued Denbrock because at LSU Daniels is GONE and that defense is rebuilding, and Denbrock is 60 years old.

• Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Yup. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its full proof. But what they're doing is putting more "Eggs in the Quarterback basket" Denbrock empowers the QB to run or pass or call a sight adjustment, change the play etc. Denbrock defines his own Offense as a QB centered spread offense. Alot of QB's can game manage a running back/run heavy offense. This is different. If Denbrock was here last year whether we liked it or not Hartman would have had more passing opportunities and Estime would have had to adapt. I think Leonard who can run and the lack of a 1 a starting running back but with lots of options intrigued Denbrock because at LSU Daniels is GONE and that defense is rebuilding, and Denbrock is 60 years old.

And I’m all for it!

With Riley’s legs, and along with his ability to throw, will make this offense so dynamic! I do believe Hartman would have excelled in a Denbrock offense! Spread is closer to a slow mesh, right? Or are they the same? Not really sure.

Either way, I’m so glad Notre Dame has Denbrock back, because that 2015 offense was pretty amazing! Imagine if they had Golden as the DC back then!? They might have made the CFP NCG, and possibly won? What could have been! 😢

31 minutes ago, Baldy said:

And I’m all for it!

With Riley’s legs, and along with his ability to throw, will make this offense so dynamic! I do believe Hartman would have excelled in a Denbrock offense! Spread is closer to a slow mesh, right? Or are they the same? Not really sure.

Either way, I’m so glad Notre Dame has Denbrock back, because that 2015 offense was pretty amazing! Imagine if they had Golden as the DC back then!? They might have made the CFP NCG, and possibly won? What could have been! 😢

Yeah Hartman was better at wide open college offense like this. It was really hard to blend Estime and Hartman. Harder then I thought it would be as Sam is a real volume thrower(think of a 3 point shooter in the NBA)  so to speak when he gets hot he's unbeatable, when he is not its almost unwinnable.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Yeah Hartman was better at wide open college offense like this. It was really hard to blend Estime and Hartman. Harder then I thought it would be as Sam is a real volume thrower(think of a 3 point shooter in the NBA)  so to speak when he gets hot he's unbeatable, when he is not its almost unwinnable.

💯