Sugar Bowl: #2 Washington vs #3 Texas (1/1/24)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 10:13 PM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

getting interesting now 34-28 washington ball

I of course missed this discussion too, but with it being so late for the EST peeps, I get why it looks like it ended before the game did. I’m on MST, and it was even late for us. 🤣

Let’s just say, it got even more interesting when Washington was driving. Washington ran the ball twice to make Texas use their timeouts, and on the third run, their running back gets injured. That of course means it’s an official timeout and stops the clock, so it meant that Washington can’t run the clock out. It stopped at 47 seconds, but then the refs put it up to 50 seconds!! If not for the injury, it would have been down to 15 seconds remaining! I was blown away. At first my wife and I were mad and yelling at the player and being like, why did you do that!? Just get off the field! But later found out that he did actually have a bad injury. 😬

Then Washington punts, and interferes with the punt return man, which moves Texas up to the 30. Texas eventually got all the way to the 10 ish yard line and made a couple plays, and Washington nearly had a sack with like 5 seconds left, but Ewers was able to throw it away and there was 1 second remaining. That meant, one final play. Ewers threw it to his big time receiver Mitchell, and it would have been a TD had it not been for an amazing defensive play by the Washington CB where he was able to just bat it out of Mitchell’s hands and out of bounds! 😅

My wife and I were both freaking out, and not just because of what happened, but how it happened. Like, for an injured player, and the refs taking a timeout. How can that be a free timeout for the other team and save them so much time!? I feel that once the player is off the field, the remainder of the play clock should run down and run time off the game clock!

Not sure if any of you saw all of this, but it’s worth watching! Oh, and since Alabama was knocked out of the CFP, I just knew deep down that if Texas were to win and with them going to the SEC next season, all those SEC fans would be claiming Texas as theirs! 🙄

But hey, Michigan and Washington are playing for the Championship, so for this one week, I’m the biggest Huskies fan! 😂