ND Hoops Roster Rebuild

On 4/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, D Fence said:

With ND formally announcing 2 assistants last week: Mike Farrelly and Kyle Getter, they can now get on the road to recruit. Getter in particular is known as a strong recruiter.

I was a little surprised to see Ven Allen-Lubin go.  While Shrewsberry uses his bigs differently than Brey, it seems like Lubin played a lot more in the paint anyway

Looks like ND may have to be branded ‘PSU-South Bend’ next year. 

14 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Looks like ND may have to be branded ‘PSU-South Bend’ next year. 

Yep, and they just landed former PSU commit and '23 guard Logan Imes from IN.  Given the timing, they didn't have many options for this cycle.  Glad they could flip a few commits and hopefully get another transfer or two just to get a team on the court this year.

Here is a link to a cool story about how the 3 commits wound up announcing on consecutive days.  It sounds like they got clearance from admissions to go public, which explains the delay in announcing...

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/mens-basketball/2023/05/03/zionsvilles-logan-imes-commits-to-play-for-notre-dame-while-in-italy/70177203007/

#22 recruiting class!  Wow!  This coming season may be messy, but if he can keep recruiting like this, ND may actually become a basketball destination. While Duke and UNC will always be good, I think some of the luster has faded from those programs.  The ACC may be more competitive than ever a couple years from now, and ND may be right in that mix again. 

2 hours ago, nd_irish said:

How is the basketball team able to get an undergrad transfer from Penn State when the football team seems to only be able to get them from elite academic schools?  

Penn State has solid academic standards. Thats why that rivalry was so good in the early 1990s in football.

3 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Penn State has solid academic standards. Thats why that rivalry was so good in the early 1990s in football.

Glad you think that because I have a grad degree from Penn State:)  However, I would call it a good school and not a great school.  So, I still have the question about the football team.  But I don’t want to hijack a basketball thread any further.  I’ll be excited to see the hoops team next year.  Should be interesting!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AnTostal said:

This team is suddenly looking very promising. Three weeks ago I was worried. Now I am totally intrigued. 

Agreed - when I heard about how Shrewsberry is known as a big recruiter (ad well as Farrelly his assistant), I also have been very interested to see how he pulls a roster together 

This will be a bit of a motley crew this year, and I'm not sure how many games they will win, but I'm excited to see what he builds.

RJ Sunahara, a graduate transfer 6'8" PF is on campus today. 

He's coming from a D2 program, so not sure how his game would translate, but he did average 18+ ppg.

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/mens-basketball/2023/05/08/from-fairmont-wva-state-to-nova-fla-southeastern-to-notre-dame/70186683007/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_SBTribune

Edited by D Fence

3 hours ago, D Fence said:

RJ Sunahara, a graduate transfer 6'8" PF is on campus today. 

He's coming from a D2 program, so not sure how his game would translate, but he did average 18+ ppg.

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/mens-basketball/2023/05/08/from-fairmont-wva-state-to-nova-fla-southeastern-to-notre-dame/70186683007/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_SBTribune

Very interesting……I’m routing for him….

• 2 weeks later...

Things seem to be slowing on this front for the 2023 season, but Shrewsberry has done a really nice job with the additions mentioned above.

A few other people ND was pursuing:

Jesse Zarzuela: PG from Central Michigan committed to Oregon

Ernest Udeh: 6'11" center from Kansas was expected to commit to Duke, but TCU and K-State are also in the mix

Cam Spencer: 6'4" SG from Rutgers is looking at Georgetown, Maryland, Miami and UConn

A transfer from Stanford but can't recall who that was.

Now the focus is on '24 and '25 kids, and they have a few good ones who should visit in June: Sir Mohammed, Jackson McAndrew and Trent Sisley.

They got a commit from '24 Cole Certa from IL, a 6'4" SG who is supposed to be a great shooter

• Heart 1