Future QB....."It's the son's time "

el senor domer

Being the child of a local football legend can be tough at times, but Glenbrook North junior QB Zach McMahon has handled it well

August 24, 2007

BY ADAM L. JAHNS ajahns@suntimes.com

At only 16, Glenbrook North's Zach McMahon has heard enough taunts and jeers from fans to fill a lifetime. The worst? ''A bunch of stuff I can't really say,'' McMahon says.

The taunts and jeers, though, are expected if you're the son of one of the most revered quarterbacks in Bears history -- Jim ''The Punky QB'' McMahon.

The taunts and jeers, though, are expected if you're the son of one of the most revered quarterbacks in Bears history -- Jim ''The Punky QB'' McMahon.

Like his father, Zach McMahon, a 6-1, 215-pound junior, is a quarterback. He'll lead Glenbrook North tonight when the Spartans play neighborhood rival Glenbrook South in Glenview.

» Click to enlarge image

Zach McMahon, QB, is a junior at Glenbrook North High School in Northbrook.

(Al Podgorski/Sun-Times)

PHOTO GALLERY

• Zach McMahon

RELATED STORIES

• Video: QB Zach McMahon

• Prep insider

• Sun-Times spotlight: Darius Fleming

• What a way to start

• Check out our new High School Sports site

Like his father, Zach McMahon, a 6-1, 215-pound junior, is a quarterback. He'll lead Glenbrook North tonight when the Spartans play neighborhood rival Glenbrook South in Glenview.

''I'm just warming up, and people are screaming, 'Hey, where's your dad?''' McMahon says. ''It doesn't bother me. It's been like that since I was born.''

McMahon is the latest local high school athlete thrust into the spotlight because of his lineage, joining Marcus and Jeffrey Jordan, Joe Suhey, Horace Grant Jr. and even Miles Smith, Lovie Smith's son.

Similar to those who came before him, McMahon is eager to establish his own identity.

''Zach wants to be his own person,'' Glenbrook North coach Bob Pieper says. ''He has a great resource in his father. But when Zach gets out on the field, it's all him. He has a good sense of the game.''

Still, there are certain expectations and pressures of being the son of a Super Bowl quarterback, McMahon says.

''[People] just look at me like, 'Oh, you're supposed to be amazing,''' McMahon says. ''But I'm me. I'm not him.''

What McMahon is, however, is a big-arm quarterback and a winner, Pieper says.

Glenbrook North finished 4-5 last year, but with McMahon starting the last four games as a sophomore, the team went 3-1. McMahon finished the season with 320 passing yards and three touchdown passes against three interceptions.

If it wasn't for a knee injury he suffered in the first game of the season (a 14-7 loss to Glenbrook South), McMahon would've had a full season of varsity football experience entering his junior year.

''Zach is very excited to get out there,'' Pieper says. ''If there is any added pressure, Zach is putting it on himself. He has been a McMahon his whole life. I'm sure he's used to having to deal with people talking about his dad a lot. It's nothing new to him, being a former QB's son.''

Of course, being a quarterback's son has its benefits. McMahon says his father is always willing to offer him some advice.

''One thing he says is, don't let anything get to you because you know you're going to get stuff from people,'' says McMahon, who has played varsity baseball since his freshman year. ''He says, 'Just play the way you can play.'''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/preps/524273,CST-SPT-foot24.article

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NDGirlzRock

Common McMahon sucked!!!! Even when they won the Super Bowl he sucked! He was elevated because of the play of those around him. Overrated is all I have to say.

Guest irish24notredame

Well his son goes to the high school I went to. And let me see, his sport is baseball. He was a dominant pitcher as a freshman for the varisty baseball team. Yesterday he completed only 5-13 1 td and 3 int's.

Guest irish24notredame

5-13 for 139. I will say though that he started the last 4 games of last season after being injured and went 3-1. So I would expect improvement through the season.

Guest NDGirlzRock

I'm sorry but when you have receivers that catch everything thrown in their direction and the greatest running back of all times getting your punky a** out of the fire, it's hard not to have good #s. Take Trent Dilfer with the Ravens a few years ago, he did just enough to get by and let the defense handle the rest....not the recipe for a top flight QB.

I'm sorry but when you have receivers that catch everything thrown in their direction and the greatest running back of all times getting your punky a** out of the fire, it's hard not to have good #s.

Willie Gault and Dennis Mckinnon? Great receivers!? :lol: Seriously, are you old enough to have actually watched the Bears that season? I don't think McMahon was great, but he was surely not sucky!

McMahon blew. Steve Fuller should get the credit. In those years (85 to 88) whenever the Bears fell behind and couldn't win then McMahon would leave the game injured. The Bears defense was their offense. They had no need of an offense period.

How about let's take this thread to the general section and bring it back to recruiting when the young McMahon has done enough to start gathering attention from the staff. Likely next year at the earliest.

Also - to weigh in on the argument, he was an average to maybe an above average QB on an excellent team with a defense that won games by themselves, similar to last year's Bear's. I don't think anyone would say that Grossman was great, yet they made it to the Super Bowl.

I think he would have been better had he been able to keep his ego in check.

How about I say, McMahon WON THE SUPERBOWL.... Yeah his D was great #34 was #34 but he won just like Dilfer. Does it make him great, i say no. But to say he sucked???????? Oh OK :shock:

Its the NFL.. THE NFL, you don't suck and win it all, period.

How about I say, McMahon WON THE SUPERBOWL.... Yeah his D was great #34 was #34 but he won just like Dilfer. Does it make him great, i say no. But to say he sucked???????? Oh OK :shock:

Its the NFL.. THE NFL, you don't suck and win it all, period.

I don't think McMahon sucked...but if the Bears had won it all last year, I'd still emphatically say that Rex Grossman sucks beyond all recognition.

The guy actually redifines the term "sucks".