Kiper on ND today

BlackIrish42

actually a pretty fair assessment ( though i obviously disagree with the record prediction ) from the ol' "draft expert." excepting his spelling of clausen's name incorrectly, of course!

from an ESPN chat earlier today:

Patrick(Chicago): Notre Dame is going to be very bad this year, right?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Well, it depends on what you mean by very bad, 7-5? 6-6? I think 7-5 would be a very good year. They have three QBs vying for the job. The guy that I'm most interested in is Dayne Crist. He's going to be a senior in high school this year. I've seen footage, he's got to get you excited. They already had Claussen as a sophomore next year with Crist coming in as a freshman. This year, though, with Claussen coming off injury, the QB is suspect. They need their receivers to have a big year. The o-line, those are the guys you need to count on. Then they have a group of running backs. They have some players. Defensively, who's going to get it done there? The front seven needs to improve the most. Tom Zbikowski is the playmaker in the secondary. The Georgia Tech game is pivotal. If they win that game, it gives them a different feeling on the season. But they could also go 0-3 in their first three games.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kramer116

I love how there is so much crap surrounding Clausen. We already cannot wait for Crist. Clausen is only a true freshman who may or may not be still injured. I mean, come on! I think Dayne is gonna be awesome too, but I dont see him taking the job from Clausen or Jones next year or any year that they are here.

I cannot wait for this kid to be great. He has the drive and all of this is only gonna make it stronger. Weis is the man with QB's and he told mustain to eat it partly because he wanted Clausen. He is gonna be a stud and all these a-holes are gonna have to eat it.

I think Dayne is gonna be awesome too, but I dont see him taking the job from Clausen or Jones next year or any year that they are here.

i totally agree. dayne crist is going to be good but once JC gets the starting QBs spot this year or next he's not going to loose it untill he leaves.

Guest domerdude

Kiper makes good remarks. I hold all reservations for the whole season (good and bad) till after GT. If we can dominate them offensively with a solid running game and select PA passing with some screens hobbled in there then I will be as giddy as a school girl goin into Happy Valley and on into Ann Arbor. BUT- If our Run game is annemic and our D gives up 30 plus points against GT then I will know we're in for a long season. We will learn alot on Sept 1.

I agree and have said it before that GT is pivotal. If we win that game and play well on defense, then the season gets a whole lot more interesting especially if we be PSU in their house. Now the Michigan game is not such a blowout waiting to happen and ND will still be playing with a chip on their shoulder. If things go the Irish way we could be 3-0, but if we can't run and our O-Line is crappy, then we probably will be 0-3. I am an optimist and say we will be 3-0 or 2-1 with a close loss at either PSU or Michigan. Should be a lot of fun to watch though...

In the immortal words of wild Bill Paxton, "Game over man, game over!"

Jimmy C is done. Bad arm, creates too much drama, overrated, too much competition for him...he will be transferring to Fresno City College by the end of the year...

...and good riddance. :wink:

P.S. I just love sarcasm.

Guest bluester2000

Am I the only one who thought what he said/wrote was gibberish? Let's look at this sentence by sentence starting midway through the quote.

"They need their receivers to have a big year."

- By all accounts Notre Dame is going to be much more of a run oriented team. If there's one position that we don't need players to have a big year, it's there.

"The o-line, those are the guys you need to count on."

- Is that ever not true about any team? Couldn't I write this about Notre Dame, an NFL team, or a local peewee pick up game?

"Then they have a group of running backs."

- Really? A group of running backs? I wonder do they also have uniforms? I wonder if they practice? Okay, that's enough sarcasm, but what does he think about the running backs other than we have a group of them? Are they talented? Does he know any of their names?

"They have some players."

- All teams have players. That is the essence of being a team. If something we thought was a team didn't have players, they would not be a team.

"Defensively, who's going to get it done there? The front seven needs to improve the most. Tom Zbikowski is the playmaker in the secondary."

- This is the same drivel we've heard for the last 2 years! And no mention of Corwin?!?!

"The Georgia Tech game is pivotal."

- This just in from ESPN, the most important game of the season during the off season is the first one.

"If they win that game, it gives them a different feeling on the season."

- Another, "no, duh" statement. By the way, winning or losing a game effects your final winning percentage by more than 8%. Basically winning or losing that game is the equivalent to winning or losing the first 14 games of a baseball season.

"But they could also go 0-3 in their first three games."

- As they could go 3-0, 2-1, or 1-2. I'm glad we've gotten all that figured out.

Mel Kiper is a very bizarre guy and more or less, a blow hard. You wanna know why he was able to name all of 2 people related to ND? Its because he doesn't know shit. All he cares about is the bigger picture of looking good and draft hype. He's very vague so as to not look like a moron ala Mike Frank, altho at least Frank knows the names of ND players and recruits. Kiper gets his info from the internet and magazines just like us. Its rather pathetic how little he actually knows.

Am I the only one who thought what he said/wrote was gibberish? Let's look at this sentence by sentence starting midway through the quote.

"They need their receivers to have a big year."

- By all accounts Notre Dame is going to be much more of a run oriented team. If there's one position that we don't need players to have a big year, it's there.

"The o-line, those are the guys you need to count on."

- Is that ever not true about any team? Couldn't I write this about Notre Dame, an NFL team, or a local peewee pick up game?

"Then they have a group of running backs."

- Really? A group of running backs? I wonder do they also have uniforms? I wonder if they practice? Okay, that's enough sarcasm, but what does he think about the running backs other than we have a group of them? Are they talented? Does he know any of their names?

"They have some players."

- All teams have players. That is the essence of being a team. If something we thought was a team didn't have players, they would not be a team.

"Defensively, who's going to get it done there? The front seven needs to improve the most. Tom Zbikowski is the playmaker in the secondary."

- This is the same drivel we've heard for the last 2 years! And no mention of Corwin?!?!

"The Georgia Tech game is pivotal."

- This just in from ESPN, the most important game of the season during the off season is the first one.

"If they win that game, it gives them a different feeling on the season."

- Another, "no, duh" statement. By the way, winning or losing a game effects your final winning percentage by more than 8%. Basically winning or losing that game is the equivalent to winning or losing the first 14 games of a baseball season.

"But they could also go 0-3 in their first three games."

- As they could go 3-0, 2-1, or 1-2. I'm glad we've gotten all that figured out.

your wider point is taken, though i think you're somewhat purposely mis-reading kiper's statements for dramatic/comedic effect and that's fine but i disagree with you that we don't need the receivers to have a big year. CW likes to throw the ball. period. he's coached the qb's almost exclusively this camp. we DO need a big year for our receivers, IMHO...

furthermore, i think he meant there's a "group" of running backs, not one head-and-shoulders above back who will get the bulk of carries ala mcfadden, hart, et al.

Guest bluester2000

Black,

Agree or disagree having standout receivers like McKnight, Samardzija, and Stovall was much more important when you're only running threat was Darius Walker? As opposed to this year when we have 3-4 great running options.

Given that QB is the position where we have the most talent, yet least experience would you not agree that's the area of the team that needs the most attention from the coaching staff?

I didn't mean to be so Socratic about it, I just had a few questions.

Black,

Agree or disagree having standout receivers like McKnight, Samardzija, and Stovall was much more important when you're only running threat was Darius Walker? As opposed to this year when we have 3-4 great running options.

Given that QB is the position where we have the most talent, yet least experience would you not agree that's the area of the team that needs the most attention from the coaching staff?

I didn't mean to be so Socratic about it, I just had a few questions.

well, i could ask you what good is four or five good running backs against a 8 or 9-man front if our receivers don't scare anyone?

yes, of course the inexperience is why the coaching staff seems to be giving an inordinate amount of attention to the QB's, however, i recall CW being right there in BQ's ear almost as much and god knows BQ was not inexperienced.

CW is a QB coach first and foremost in my opinion. and one cannot separate a QB from his receivers. and the other fact is that a balanced team is a better team. or let me re-phrase that slightly, the THREAT of balance on a team makes for good team. if you're afraid the opponent can play ANY style of game, well, you are is serious trouble, right? i think that's what CW is aiming for and having a big year from our wideouts is part and parcel of that, IMHO..

and lest we forget, neither stovall or jeff even sniffed their potential 'til CW showed up. so, why should i not think that he'll have these guys playing better than any of us *think* they can? so, if we go by our experience of watching CW's offense at ND we should expect a receiver to "break out" this year as well. jeff in CW's first year, carlson last ( and oh, how we all lamented the loss of all-american tight end fasano! how would we ever replace him? and yet, a guy came seemingly from out of nowhere and had a better year than fasano! when are we going to give CW credit and realize this guy finds and makes players, year after year? ) year.

hope this answered some of your questions. i have a tendency to ramble...:oops:

Guest bluester2000

Rambling is fine.

If our QB is facing an 8 or 9 man front he better be able to complete passes no matter who he's throwing to (even if it is BlackIrish and bluester). Brady and Co. proved you can be unbalanced and still have a great offense.

We're going to run the ball, pass to the tight end, and occassionally mix in the wide receivers.

For the record Weis didn't "find or make" Samardzija, McKnight, Stovall, or Fasano. They were all great players who were being coached by a moron. If you want to give CW credit for something, give him credit for being smarter than Tyrone. But if you stocked this team with a bunch of 2-3 star players you should expect to see a .500 record.

Rambling is fine.

If our QB is facing an 8 or 9 man front he better be able to complete passes no matter who he's throwing to (even if it is BlackIrish and bluester). Brady and Co. proved you can be unbalanced and still have a great offense.

We're going to run the ball, pass to the tight end, and occassionally mix in the wide receivers.

For the record Weis didn't "find or make" Samardzija, McKnight, Stovall, or Fasano. They were all great players who were being coached by a moron. If you want to give CW credit for something, give him credit for being smarter than Tyrone. But if you stocked this team with a bunch of 2-3 star players you should expect to see a .500 record.

for the record, i disagree completely that CW didn't "make" jeff, mo and anthony. i never mentioned mcknight. he was an obviously the #1 receiver before weis showed up. but the other three were either underachieving ( mo ) or almost completely unknown ( jeff ). CW or his offense, or whatever, made those players into great players. by definition they were not "great" players because they didn't, except for brief glimpses from mo, play "great!" i give him credit for being a better coach than ty. period! he recognized his talent, what there was of it after ty's dismal recruiting, and put those players into positions to succeed. really, he did the same thing with BQ. now, i'm not saying the 3 receivers were chopped liver or didn't have talent but we didn't see that talent game in and game out til CW took over.

and btw, we were unbalanced as offense last year, you're right but we were better statistically and more balanced in '05 and had a better O.

and again, history shows that the odds are damned good that some receiver is going to come out of "nowhere" this year and push for all-american honors this year like jeff did in '05 and carlson last year. that's CW's M.O. so far at ND..

Guest Deimos

Actually, neither did Tyrone. In fact, Ty didn't even know about Shark. The Baseball coach came over and tapped Ty on the shoulder and said, you should have a look at this kid. So Ty put him on the bench. <rolls eyes>

Weis made just about everyone. Brady was a NOBODY until Weis showed up. Remember, that offense scored a staggering 0 against friggin' Syracuse. Weis shows up, and suddenly, its posting 30-40 points a game. Same personel. Sure, they had the "talent" or whatever all along, but to execute your talent, and "make" you a better player, you need a coach. Going from Ty to Weis for BQ was like going on vacation in Delaware, and then finding out you won a trip to Disney.

-MW-

In fact, Ty didn't even know about Shark. The Baseball coach came over and tapped Ty on the shoulder and said, you should have a look at this kid. So Ty put him on the bench.

ty also didn't even know who brady quinn was his senior year in high school untill ndukwe said something. ty is an idiot and CW is a football coach.