The board is DEAD so let's discuss some need areas for 09

Rockne3d

Just throwing a topic out there. Need areas in 08 were WR, DL, LB. What are everyone's thoughts on need areas for the '09 class. My positions of need are:

FB (Schwapp is done after 09 and Schmidt is not a true FB)

RB (atleast 2 since we will probably only take a max of 1 this year)

Kicker/Punter (Walker looks to be the real deal at K but will he also punt)

WR (need to keep bringing in 2 top WR's per year)

The other positions are areas that we need to keep bringing in atleast 1-2 guys a year, depending on the position, but the 4 positions I mentioned above appear to be positions that we MUST address in 09. LB and DT are areas that we heavily addressed for 08 but we need to keep that pipeline going and avoid the OL efforts of Davies/Ty.

If we don't land TE Golic than we may take a year off at TE next year, but I would think we do land Golic. He can also play DE but is a natural #1 TE.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CanadianIrishFan

Even if we get Robinson or a Kenneth Page, all our Olineman in the class of 2008 will project on the interior so I think OT will be an important position in 2009.

Even if we get Robinson or a Kenneth Page, all our Olineman in the class of 2008 will project on the interior so I think OT will be an important position in 2009.

Lane is projected as an OT

correct. and yes, we still need 1-2 OT in 09.

How about corner, we dont have a true corner in this years recruiting class, and I hope this doesnt come back to hurt us in the future.

In Corwin's D, Blanton is probably a true corner. You need physical corners in Corwin's defense. Slaughter is probably more of a safety.

But keep in mind that in one way we did add another corner for this year by moving Munir Prince to corner. He was a big time corner in HS and is getting very good reviews on his corner play during camp.

Guest NDGirlzRock

I think that CW will stay with his 2-1-2-1 TE and take one next year. I think that we also need 2 high LB recruits as well as a cover corner and 1 or 2 DL guys. Keep them #s balanced! As far as offense I say that we take a top QB again, 2 RBs which must be highly ranked as well, 2 OL, and 2 top flight receivers. All total, I say we end up with about 15 in next years class.

Guest medvnd

I'm assuming we take one more WR, one more OL, and one RB in this year's class--that puts us at 22.

Given that number, and assuming that Bemenderfer gets a scholarship, we will have room for three fifth-year seniors next year: some combination of Crum, Lambert, Justin Brown (who has really impressed in practice), Jabbie, and Vernaglia. In fact, the only one who seems to have almost no chance to be invited back is Leo Ferrine. Assuming we allow all three fifth-year options, that puts us at a full 85 scholarships for the 2008 season--the first time in a long time we've had a full house.

Now, for 2009 recruiting, again assuming we take 22 this year, we will have 17 spots. These can be filled by a combination of recruits and fifth-year seniors. By my estimation, the most likely fifth-year candidates are Sharpley (if he wins the starting position, though even then he'd have a hard time holding off the competition next year), Schwapp, Hord, and McCarthy. I don't see Hand or Washington even being considered, given the recruits coming in at their positions. I would say Schwapp is a "probable." Hord has looked really good in camp, but we're starting to establish some real depth at that position, especially if we land Floyd, Baldwin, or Walker.

I'm going to assume that Schwapp is the lone fifth-year senior in 2009, so next year's class will have 16, assuming no one transfers or gets expelled.

Guest medvnd

I assume you're kidding about Maust, but I'll give a serious answer anyway. I think Walker or Burkhardt--whoever fails to win the PK job--will be groomed to be the punter. CW will not give out any more kicker schollies, unless some all-world prospect, from Bulgaria or something, comes along.

I assume you're kidding about Maust, but I'll give a serious answer anyway. I think Walker or Burkhardt--whoever fails to win the PK job--will be groomed to be the punter. CW will not give out any more kicker schollies, unless some all-world prospect, from Bulgaria or something, comes along.

Actually I'm not.