Kiper on ND QB's

BlackIrish42

from a chat on ESPN today:

Dylan(Bristol, RI): How is Notre Dame's QB situation going to play out this year?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Right now, that's the $1 million question. If I had the answer to that, we'd know a lot more right now. You hope that next year, this will be easier to define. They have a couple of options - Jones, Clausen, Sharpley and they go out this year and they sign one of the top QBs already - Dayne Crist. I've seen this kid play. He's a remarkable talent, strong arm, mobile. He could be better than Jimmy Clausen. Crist is looking to come in and battle it out with Clausen. But the thing is that he's not at Notre Dame right now. Clausen is the most talented of the QBs. But he's coming off the injury. You're talking about a schedule that doesn't give them any breaks. You don't want to have questionable QB play going into the schedule they have. There's not a guaranteed win in their first eight games. They should win the final four, but the key is how they do in the first eight. If they finish the season with 7 wins or more, they should be thrilled. Dayne Crist, from what I've seen, he looks like he has all the talent in the world to be a good college QB.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the fact we got crist and everytime i hear the kid talk i'm extremely impressed. I think he's going to be the next brady quinn.

but first he's going to have to watch the first Clausen for a few years, and I'm very content with that. Clausen is a freak talent, just becuase he doesn't have the NFL big body mold that Crist has, doesn't mean he won't be a stud at ND.

Clausen will rewrite the record books (cause he'll have Weis for 3 and a half to 4 years)

so which QB is going to transfer? will it be jones, clausen or crist, IMO it will be jones. he doesn't hold a candle to the other two when it comes to passing the ball.

i think its too early to say that about his passing with much certainty. his throwing statistics in HS were very comparable to Dayne's.

maybe i am being too optimistic, but i think the way this is shaking out, we might not lose any of them. Unless Sharpley wins the job outright this year.

so which QB is going to transfer? will it be jones, clausen or crist, IMO it will be jones. he doesn't hold a candle to the other two when it comes to passing the ball.

:shock: Jone's athleticism adds a whole new dimension to this young team. I think our best chance at running the table this year would be putting the ball in his hands and let him run/pass circles around opposing team's defenses. I'm surprised how many posters would pass him up for a whole lot of potential in JC. How great would it be to watch DD and AA smoke USC like Vince Young did?

:shock: Jone's athleticism adds a whole new dimension to this young team. I think our best chance at running the table this year would be putting the ball in his hands and let him run/pass circles around opposing team's defenses. I'm surprised how many posters would pass him up for a whole lot of potential in JC. How great would it be to watch DD and AA smoke USC like Vince Young did?

Interesting perspective DJonesIRISH. While I like what both Jones and Claussen bring to the table, I would question your assumption that Jones athletic ability is more than just potential. At this time, I consider both of those two just a lot of potential. It is just potential in a different way. Neither have played any meaningful time in college yet so potential is all they are.

The decision in my mind comes down to two things. One, what type of "potential" is best to hand the reins of the team too. Second, who is the better leader that can get the team to respond.

When answering these two questions, I believe that for Charlie's style of offensive, Claussen makes more sense then Jones for the first answer. Based on all publicly available knowledge, I would say that Jones appears to be the better answer to the second question. Sharpley may just be the best answer to both.

Ultimately, this doesn't answer the question as to who will be the starter. In the end, I don't think it will really matter as both will see time this year.

I'll add a third to that Stank.

3) Which QB is least likely to lose the game for ND in the first 4 games?

We all know that mistakes at the QB position can turn a game in a heart beat. I don't think many of us have acknowleged that fact when discussing the QB situation. Imagine trying to beat Michigan if our QB throws 3 INT's? Ain't gonna happen. That would end up in a drubbing. Same goes for the other teams in the first four. Imagine the extreme setback that would give our team if that happened in the opener against GT. I would be willing to bet that there would be no team confidence in the QB if he comes out of the gate and throws a couple pick 6's. I know that this sounds a bit doom and gloom, but I feel it is a distinct possibility with true freshman learning curves. It's CW's job to minimize opportunities for errors. That's why I think we see a much more conservative CW at least at the beginning of this season. Last time I said this BlackIrish yelled at me. I went to the penalty box and felt much shame. Name THAT movie! :lol: :lol: BTW...j/k BI. Wow, an entire sentence of abbreviations. I'm officially a tool! :shock:

Guest SirJohn

I said Sharpley and now think Jones in a few plays at start. Clausin would have to be out do to the 'booze' thing that has to be settled in house with admin before he can start. That's going to take some time as first classes haven't started

We all know that mistakes at the QB position can turn a game in a heart beat. I don't think many of us have acknowleged that fact when discussing the QB situation. Imagine trying to beat Michigan if our QB throws 3 INT's? Ain't gonna happen. That would end up in a drubbing. Same goes for the other teams in the first four. Imagine the extreme setback that would give our team if that happened in the opener against GT. I would be willing to bet that there would be no team confidence in the QB if he comes out of the gate and throws a couple pick 6's. I know that this sounds a bit doom and gloom, but I feel it is a distinct possibility with true freshman learning curves. It's CW's job to minimize opportunities for errors. That's why I think we see a much more conservative CW at least at the beginning of this season. Last time I said this BlackIrish yelled at me. I went to the penalty box and felt much shame. Name THAT movie! :lol: :lol: BTW...j/k BI. Wow, an entire sentence of abbreviations. I'm officially a tool! :shock:

Very good point domer and I totally agree with your assessment.

I am normally pretty good on the movie quotes but you've got me stumped on this one. The first 3 movies that came to mind were Mystery Alaska, Slapshot, and Youngblood but I don't think it is any of those three. Let me in on the secret because I know I've heard it and it will bug me all day long until I figure it out.

Very good point domer and I totally agree with your assessment.

I am normally pretty good on the movie quotes but you've got me stumped on this one. The first 3 movies that came to mind were Mystery Alaska, Slapshot, and Youngblood but I don't think it is any of those three. Let me in on the secret because I know I've heard it and it will bug me all day long until I figure it out.

I'm gonna let it bug you for a little while Stank. Don't mention it. What are friends for! :p

I went to the penalty box and felt much shame. Name THAT movie! :lol: :lol: BTW...j/k BI.:shock:

That my friend, would be "Slapshot"

As far as the QB situations goes, I've stopped worrying about it. CW hasn't called me for my opinion and I'm a little peeved about it.

Indeed it was. I guess I didn't have the quote exactly right...but you got the idea. Here's the classic clip from the movie.