ND Q's and A's

Guest SirJohn

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind balanced reporting and opinions at all, in fact I very much appreciate it. Did anyone else get the feeling that Carroll is too negative in his approach. I wasn't impressed with his assessments and based on tone alone, if he's right, ND shouldn't bother to show.

I haven't read a lot of his stuff but the more I read, the more I think he either has a bone to pick, just isn't listening, or doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. It could be all three.

Thoughts?

He's definetly not a homer, thats for sure. I felt that he took the stance of the national media, just to be safe, and if ND surprises everyone - he'll hop on board then.

you are correct, sir! 100%!

NEVER underestimate the need for journalists to "stay with the pack" and to rely on "conventional wisdom." it's true in politics ( an area in which i work on occasion ) and it's true in sports. going out on limb is just not in their nature...at least until they become "columnists!" then they'll damn near say anything! :lol:

Guest AtlantaIrish

I think he is just being honest. He is not going to sugar coat anything about the Irish and I appreciate his approach.

We have to be honest with ourselves to a point with the Irish and I know that is hard being a fan. The Irish haven't had an elite linebacker in a long, long time. Some would say Courtney Watson was up there when he played but I never thought he would be the type of player I would start my team with. Maybe Toryan Smith can turn into an elite player but we don't know...and yes, I think Smith is going to be a really good linebacker for us especially in 2008.

The only thing that scares the you know what out of me this season is the defensive line. Besides Laws we have little talent or depth at the position. Sure some guys like Kuntz or Stephenson could step up but I have a feeling teams are going to be pounding us with the run early on to see if we can stop anybody.

Anyways, sorry to ramble, but I do feel the writer is being honest and I appreciate it. Hopefully the Irish can use the underdog status as motivation this season.

Guest Deimos
I think he is just being honest. He is not going to sugar coat anything about the Irish and I appreciate his approach.

We have to be honest with ourselves to a point with the Irish and I know that is hard being a fan. The Irish haven't had an elite linebacker in a long, long time. Some would say Courtney Watson was up there when he played but I never thought he would be the type of player I would start my team with. Maybe Toryan Smith can turn into an elite player but we don't know...and yes, I think Smith is going to be a really good linebacker for us especially in 2008.

The only thing that scares the you know what out of me this season is the defensive line. Besides Laws we have little talent or depth at the position. Sure some guys like Kuntz or Stephenson could step up but I have a feeling teams are going to be pounding us with the run early on to see if we can stop anybody.

Anyways, sorry to ramble, but I do feel the writer is being honest and I appreciate it. Hopefully the Irish can use the underdog status as motivation this season.

I have to agree with this. It is fun to be optimistic and exciting, but most of us on here have already stated that this is, for all practical reasons, not our year. We have accepted that. Deep in our recesses of our mind, we hope it is. We are pretty sure it is not. I found it very honest and while he may have degraded some things slightly, it was just that, and wasn't as obvious, as say...MM.

-MW-

I actually enjoyed the article. I did not want to hear the answers given...but I did not get the animosity from them either. I will always believe that there is more to the game than simply X'x and O's. There is emotion, motivation and inspiration. If our guys play to the level that each of them have in their heart's...we just might wake the country up to our resurgence.

Either way...the Irish is my team...and I will stand with them until we get this right (and then some)...

While I agree that not everything is perfect with the program, not everything is bad either. I just don't believe he was balanced in his perspective. Just my opinion though. You all know what opinions are like. :D

If you ask my wife...mine is the biggest... :shock: ...opinion that is!

well, i guess i'm a "HOMER" then but funny, i see a team that is without question more talented and deeper than any ND team in the last 5 years and i'm supposed to say "it's not our year?" well, count me out if that's the prevailing "wisdom."

how come all our "experience" didn't help us win more games last year? give me TALENT over experience any day. and the FACT is we have more talent than we had last year. does anyone doubt that? you think CW is "giddy" for no good reason, eh? you really think the O-line is gonna be worse than last year? you really think all the speed we have added on offense won't matter? you think out depth in the defensive backfield won't come into play?

look, having a first-year qb means you can't win a national title, IMHO. it does NOT mean you can't have a 8, 9, or even a 10-win season! look at colt mccoy last year for texas! looked like crap against tOSU, finished the year a star! you think clausen or jones can't do that? i do. does that make me some pollyanna? how can that be when i give pertinent examples where it has happened in recent memory? hell, i could even point to kevin mcdougal but he's was senior. but he had no "experience," right?

mark it down, ND will EXCEED expectations this year. if you don't believe that what are you doing on DD? i mean it. what's the point?

sorry if this ruffles some feathers but it needed to be said...

Nice post Black. Let me summarize my perspective by looking position group by position group and see whether we will be improved or not from last year to this year.

Offense

QB = Worse (Experience driven)

RB = Better

OL = Better (Younger but they won't perform worse then last years line)

TE = Better

WR = Equal (I know we lost Samardzija but honestly, McKnight struggled)

Defense

DL = Equal (Even with depth issues, we can't perform much worse)

LB = Equal (Honestly, I'm just not sure here because of the new scheme)

DB = Better

You may agree or disagree but based on this assessment, we should perform better then we did last year. Now, QB is a big issue for how well our offense performs and scheme is a big factor in our defensive performance. Finally, the front loaded schedule doesn't help. But all in all, I expect to see upgraded performance at most positions which should bode well for a better year this year.

Shoot holes in it boys.

well, i guess i'm a "HOMER" then but funny, i see a team that is without question more talented and deeper than any ND team in the last 5 years and i'm supposed to say "it's not our year?" well, count me out if that's the prevailing "wisdom."

how come all our "experience" didn't help us win more games last year? give me TALENT over experience any day. and the FACT is we have more talent than we had last year. does anyone doubt that? you think CW is "giddy" for no good reason, eh? you really think the O-line is gonna be worse than last year? you really think all the speed we have added on offense won't matter? you think out depth in the defensive backfield won't come into play?

look, having a first-year qb means you can't win a national title, IMHO. it does NOT mean you can't have a 8, 9, or even a 10-win season! look at colt mccoy last year for texas! looked like crap against tOSU, finished the year a star! you think clausen or jones can't do that? i do. does that make me some pollyanna? how can that be when i give pertinent examples where it has happened in recent memory? hell, i could even point to kevin mcdougal but he's was senior. but he had no "experience," right?

mark it down, ND will EXCEED expectations this year. if you don't believe that what are you doing on DD? i mean it. what's the point?

sorry if this ruffles some feathers but it needed to be said...

Nice finish to a great post BI42. And please, mark this down too...I too am not only a homer...but I am an optimist, a believer, a dreamer and most importantly a fan.

I understand that we aren't going to be the best week in and week out. And I realize that we have a bit of a 'hill' to climb in geeting back atop the the rankings...but it's still my team, still the group of guys that I choose to back and this team to me is better to a man than many realize. I am climbing that 'hill' with our boy's...regardless. I thank God and Coach Weis that the hill is not the mountain is was but three years ago.

I am an old man compared to most of you. I have been right there with the best and with some of the not so good teams Notre Dame has had to offer since 1971. But what a ride she has given me.

Every week of the college season I made sure my lawn was mowed, the leaves raked, vehicles tuned up, 'honey do's' met. I have done everything humanly possible to make sure that I placed my family first, making sure that I was the best father, the best husband that I could be. I never asked for much in life. But the one certain for sure is this...come rain, snow, through sickness or what not...I knew that for three and half hours on Saturday...I had the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame's game to look forward to! No matter what the final outcome was...I was and always will be...her fan.

So again I ask you all as BI42 did...do we not come here to embrace our team, regardless of the end result? Don't you believe? I personally see this as 1987 all over again. The year before we won it all. You do remember 1988? We also had the doubters then...

thanks for the "big ups" blarney and dreamer... :wink:

but dreamer what i'm trying to get across is that it doesn't take a lot of "belief" to think this team can better than a 6 or 7 win team. that's my point. if you look objectively at the talent up-grade across the board, how can one really see this team being all that much worse than last years team?

i'll tell ya something else, CW is clearly going to be rotating in countless guys on both sides of the ball this year. you hear all the coaches talking about it. that can only be a plus in the long and, probably, short-term.

the key this year is depth and talent. will it be enough to overcome the lack of experience? i think it will...

and blarney, i think your breakdown was pretty much on the money. well done!

and dreamer, you're right. this does feel like '87 all over again. here's hopin' we're right!

"i'll tell ya something else, CW is clearly going to be rotating in countless guys on both sides of the ball this year. you hear all the coaches talking about it. that can only be a plus in the long and, probably, short-term.

Does the constant talk about "depth and rotating a bunch of different players in" from the Weis camp remind anyone of last years: We're adding a lot of speed to the defensive backfield" :?: I hope it doesn't end up with the same result ( Mario Manningham beating the Irish secondary like they stole something). I'm not sold on our so called depth across the board yet.

Prove me wrong Irish......Prove me wrong

"i'll tell ya something else, CW is clearly going to be rotating in countless guys on both sides of the ball this year. you hear all the coaches talking about it. that can only be a plus in the long and, probably, short-term.

Does the constant talk about "depth and rotating a bunch of different players in" from the Weis camp remind anyone of last years: We're adding a lot of speed to the defensive backfield" :?: I hope it doesn't end up with the same result ( Mario Manningham beating the Irish secondary like they stole something). I'm not sold on our so called depth across the board yet.

Prove me wrong Irish......Prove me wrong

read what i just posted under the heading "reason to be optimistic about the DB's this year?" then let me know your thoughts on it...

btw, even though it had little to do with the mich. game, for instance, it is a provable FACT that the DB's as a whole were faster last year than the year previous because of the addition of walls and mcneil. just as it provable now that we have more 4 and 5 star players, hence "depth," than we've had the last 3 years, for sure. will it lead to wins? well, i think so but that is something truly up for debate...