Chris Harper receives his offer

Guest JerseyDomer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW this is very interesting, he really wanted an offer from ND. I think we jump to the front of the pack with this offer. He is not as polished as the others but what an athlete, has those intangibles. He would like to play QB in college and Florida is evidently looking at him for that role but we offered as WR assuming the offer is confirmed. Its been said before but similar to Greg Little, hasn't played a ton of WR but has all the tools...some services project him to be a college LB (6'3, 220) think he is in the 4.5 range if I remember correctly...should get interesting and may move up timeline of other WR offers or means we are not confident we are going to get the others...

Either directly or indirectly it will increase pressure on other WR not committed. In order for Harper to get an offer from ND, the staff must have decided they really do want him even if it cost them another potential recruit. Not sure if this affects Floyd, but it does affect Baldwin and the other WR offers.

My 2 cents is that something happened and that its Walker and Baldwin are out of the picture. No reason to doubt Floyd yet. CB is recruiting Harper so maybe he's shaking things up here. CW is stingy with the offers. Sure hope we don't lose out to Kansas State.

Couple things:

1. He's versatile enough for the staff to plug in at different positions - LB included - but this kid wouldn't listen to any staff that recruited him for defense, IMO. He wants to play QB or WR in college, so rest assured that the staff is viewing him at WR, and that he'll play on offense in college. Someone would have to do an amazing job as a recruiter to sell him on a position he doesn't want to play as much right now. Enough schools are pitching to him at WR or QB for him to be selective, and pick a school that wants him on offense.

2. I've been hearing rumblings about Harper for a long time - as early as May scout was doing articles about ND's involvement. This was story that has been developing for a while, where both camps have remained in consistent contact with one another. Point being, ND has been strongly interested for a long time, and this is not a knee jerk reaction. A lot about this offer has to do with his talent, plain and simple.

3. I highly doubt this is a bi-product of ill-turns with any of the other WR offers. We're still the lead horse in the race for Michael Floyd. The only rumor I've heard from the Baldwin front is that he's legitimately down to three instead of his surface six - the three being ND, UM, and Pitt. USC isn't really talking to him, and the Florida schools look more or less like "vacation visits" more than anything. As for Walker, its probably too soon to know anything good or bad about ND's odds - that plant still needs more watering and sunlight for us to know what is happening on that front. Point being, we've either heard no news or monotoned news, so I'm not quite getting where a "things have soured with _____" assertion comes from.

4. The offer makes sense know with the oncoming season. In May, it made sense to give Baldwin and Floyd all the space they needed, since you had 3 fairly open summer months available to recruit them, not to mention a full 9 months 'til NSD. But now is when things start to get serious. Kids have school and their HS football schedules to worry about, while the coaching staffs don't have the luxury of touring the country every other week just to knock on some recruit's door. They've got enough time to focus on their team's upcoming season, and drop a phone call every now and then on a recruit. So, with the target # looking to be 2 more WR prospects, offering twice that number makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Calves, what I see is 2 offers very late in the game to Walker and Harper. Very good chance we land neither. I think there's something screwed up with our WR recruiting. The results at WR are simply not as smooth as your posts. Maybe someday though.

Guest Bluesig

I think Harper got his offer because a lot of the other guys at several different positions don't look likely to come to ND. Guys like Forston and Patchan are out, Jeremy Brown and Tay Odoms got dropped. Page isn't likely and neither are guys like Chancey Aghayere and Kapron Lewis-Moore. A lot of the positive feeling about Etienne Sabino has dried up recently.

Harper isn't a B level recruit by any means and I don't think his offer is necessarily any indication of possible slipping in regards to Floyd, Baldwin, or Walker. He could be a WR recruit but at his size he could also be a LB, he offers a lot of versatility and athleticism.

In searching for that best situation, Walker has a thought process not often found in recruits in this day and age. While he understands and has a desire to go to a school where he can grow as a football player, he also has the realization that one also needs a backup plan.

"I can graduate from a school like Notre Dame and basically be able to get a job anywhere I want. And at the same time, I can go to Florida State where they have a good reputation of setting you up for the NFL," Walker said.

This all sounds good to me.Something must be happening in the back ground in that we may be out on a few recruits.So I say give out the schollie to someone who wants one bad.Whos to say the Harper won't commit in the next couple of weeks.And I'm glad that we have some recruiting news finally hitting the board.It sure has been silent on DD lately since pratice started. :lol:

I think Harper got his offer because a lot of the other guys at several different positions don't look likely to come to ND.

i think it might be because walker and baldwin will make late decisions and CW said "if they continue to look around then so will we". CW probbly dosen't want to get burned late by walker and baldwin like he did last year in losing benn and little. floyd will have a spot saved for him but as for walker and baldwin they maybe left out. at 6'2 and 232 lbs, that seems like a really big WR to me, could he also get a look at HB?

i think it might be because walker and baldwin will make late decisions and CW said "if they continue to look around then so will we". CW probbly dosen't want to get burned late by walker and baldwin like he did last year in losing benn and little. floyd will have a spot saved for him but as for walker and baldwin they maybe left out. at 6'2 and 232 lbs, that seems like a really big WR to me, could he also get a look at HB?

Harper is a cant miss athlete, if he doesnt pan out to be a WR, his build could end up at OLB. the kid is a stud athlete and it'd be great to get him.

I think Harper got his offer because a lot of the other guys at several different positions don't look likely to come to ND.

I think that works too. I think the staff likes him most at WR, but I'm sure they could see him at tailback. And the timing thing is probably an issue too. If we're going to have to wait for WR recruits, might as well put more lures in the pond.

Walker sets 4 officials:

"I'm going to go to Florida State, USC, LSU and probably Penn State," Walker said on Sunday night. "There are a lot of schools I'm still looking at but I'm pretty sure I'll take officials to those schools. USC is really the only school I like a lot that I haven't had a chance to see yet so I really need to do that, but I just want to get a closer look at those three others."

And Harper gets an offer. Hard math not involved here. Walker just wanted an ND offer as a feather in his cap.

Walker sets 4 officials:

"I'm going to go to Florida State, USC, LSU and probably Penn State," Walker said on Sunday night. "There are a lot of schools I'm still looking at but I'm pretty sure I'll take officials to those schools. USC is really the only school I like a lot that I haven't had a chance to see yet so I really need to do that, but I just want to get a closer look at those three others."

And Harper gets an offer. Hard math not involved here. Walker just wanted an ND offer as a feather in his cap.

He'll set an official for ND. These are just the ones he has set so far.

Guest The_Dude_454
I think Harper got his offer because a lot of the other guys at several different positions don't look likely to come to ND. Guys like Forston and Patchan are out, Jeremy Brown and Tay Odoms got dropped. Page isn't likely and neither are guys like Chancey Aghayere and Kapron Lewis-Moore. A lot of the positive feeling about Etienne Sabino has dried up recently.

Harper isn't a B level recruit by any means and I don't think his offer is necessarily any indication of possible slipping in regards to Floyd, Baldwin, or Walker. He could be a WR recruit but at his size he could also be a LB, he offers a lot of versatility and athleticism.

I agree, I think this has little to do with the WR recruits and more to do with the fact that we have been eliminated from certain recruits lists at other positions. But, that is just a personal opinion. Based on the lack of info from Floyd and Baldwin, and the recent comments by Walker I say we are still in for all 3 for sure, and still leading for Floyd (regardless of the statement about him seeing how brewster will do :roll: ).

Why do we all obsess over this :?: