A note on recent recruiting

Soko

Go check through the old recruiting classes from 2002 on rivals. I'm sure you've all done this but it bears repeating. Compare to the avalanche of players Weis has recruited. It both glorious and horrific simultaneously

Particularly 2004 - six 2 star players, two 4 star players who didn't contribute much if anything in Vernaglia and Jabbie

2003 - Ty stuck it rich with his hoard of 3 stars

In hindsight, I'm amazed we put out teams that were not having 7/8 loss seasons. It really is pathetic

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats true soko, but the 2003 class although it had alot of 3 stars ended up being a great class overall. Rivals always grades players harder than Scout and just about everyone in that 2003 class is underranked for how they performed at ND. Shark, Harris, Carlson, Price, and Travis Thomas were all 3 star guys on rivals. Say what you will bout Ty but he did strike it rich in the 03 class after having a successful 2002 season.

But overall, I agree with your assessment. CW and staff are doing amazing work compared to the previous couple staffs.

You can get a lot out of a 3 star if you can coach and teach how to do things the right way, but coaching only takes you so far - then the talent gap is clear.

It's funny, but I just had an argument last week with an ND hater about the honeymoon being over for CW and we will wish we had Ty back. He really liked Ty and thought he was a good coach - hell anyone who hated ND loved Ty as their coach b/c we were going to suck forever....I realized the battle of wits was not going to be a battle as the guy was a moron...

Guys, its scary to think how bad of shape the program would have been in if Ty had stayed another year or even through his contract. Charlie has done some amazing things thus far and it really won't be until 2009 before we are truly where we expect to be. 2008 should be a great year but we will still have inexperience at DL and it will take time for those guys to be ready to dominate at the college level. With all that Charlie has done, I am just thankful we made the decision to let Ty go when we did. Its scary to think about the alternative.

indeed, blarney and that's why i've been harping on here for people not to think this team is going to do poorly this year. we will have more talent on the field than in any time in like the last 5 years!

i'm a big believer in getting 4 and 5 star players. i know it's not fool-proof ( see anthony v. ) but it actually works out that these players become solid starters to superstar players at a much higher rate than 3-star's and below. and CW has brought those players in unlike ty! and unlike ty, CW has shown that he can win with 3-star guys! to me the sky's the limit when CW and co. get a chance this year and next to coach a whole team of elite prospects!

so, yes were young but dammit, we're talented! :D

Guest Deimos

so, yes were young but dammit, we're talented! :D

Amen. Most people, myself included, think this will be a somewhat tough year. Some more than others. But the way I look at it, it takes one spark for a team to rally around something. It could be something small, like a good quote, or something colorful, like Jimmy changing his hair color to blue or something. Most people are not going to argue that ND has talent, just lack of experience. I guess we will see how much experience matters...

-MW-

I am excited to see a defense that will be aggressive and force the offense to adjust to them. Its been a while since that has happened. Look at UCLA and scUM when they got new, young, aggressive coaches/DC's, quite a different season than the previous year. that could be the spark that the team rallies around!

Guest JerseyDomer

The complete lack of offensive lineman recruited was flat out pathetic. 04 and 03 we only got 4 o-lineman total. how you only recruit 2 lineman in a class is beyond me

Guys, its scary to think how bad of shape the program would have been in if Ty had stayed another year or even through his contract. Charlie has done some amazing things thus far and it really won't be until 2009 before we are truly where we expect to be. 2008 should be a great year but we will still have inexperience at DL and it will take time for those guys to be ready to dominate at the college level. With all that Charlie has done, I am just thankful we made the decision to let Ty go when we did. Its scary to think about the alternative.

I would have liked to see George O'Leary get a shot at that job! Heckuva recruiter and coach. Even though he pumped up his own "unofficial stats"!

Guest NDisNCin2010

I would have liked to see George O'Leary get a shot at that job! Heckuva recruiter and coach. Even though he pumped up his own "unofficial stats"!

That's how I got my wife. It must have worked...30 years later and here we still are! :D

you ole rascal... :D

you ole rascal... :D

Ha Ha..ole is right. I am old enough to have seen some pretty drastic changes with recruiting through the years. I think of it this way...

Each new head coach that comes to Notre Dame, brings with him a new philosophy. A new sense in what is right for the program. He also tweeks the coaching staff, bringing some new blood where he assumes is needed. Some of course continue from the old staff...depending on what this new head coach feels will get us to the direction he see's for us.

Kind of like electing a politician. Each candidate feels his views/ideas are the ones that will make a difference. Regardless if they are correct in assuming as much...it cannot happen over night. The politician needs to bring in the right people to his/her cabinet to see it materialize. Everyone has to be on the right page.

This holds true for our program too. By Coach Weis's forth year...the type/style of recruit coming to Notre Dame will be a reflection of his vision for the Irish. Be it a two, three, four or five star recruit. It will be on the shoulders of him and his staff to seek out the best player for the right situation.

IrishNY1985, Soko, BI42, Double_Domer, Blarney, Deimos, JDomer, bstokes, chiro and you NCin2010 (I am old) all make great points. Points that I feel will be addressed by Coach Weis's forth year. We by then will see a pure Charlie Weis team.

But also as important...the recruit will see this, making us this much more appealing in their decision to come to South Bend, be it five or four star caliber...

Guest irishrick

rdrdreamer , good point, I think Charlie is doing a good job But i haven't put him up in Lou class just yet, no disrespect made, here are my coaches top list 1. the Rockne*** nobody get closer to him > !a Frank, Lou,2 Ara,****** Charlie needs a few more years, of continued success and the big one . what say you .

rdrdreamer , good point, I think Charlie is doing a good job But i haven't put him up in Lou class just yet, no disrespect made, here are my coaches top list 1. the Rockne*** nobody get closer to him > !a Frank, Lou,2 Ara,****** Charlie needs a few more years, of continued success and the big one . what say you .

Your simply 'Old School' Rick...and I like it!!!

I will always LOVE LOU! Just to see my buddies, who hated ND, cringe when Lou would kneel down and start picking grass and putting a piece in his mouth! They ALL viewed it as some "voodoo curse" on their teams! I had one friend who would throw his hat and start cussing and kicking things when Lou did it. Seemed like Lou would always pull a rabbit out of his hat when that happened! Long Live Lou!!!!!!

I will always LOVE LOU! Just to see my buddies, who hated ND, cringe when Lou would kneel down and start picking grass and putting a piece in his mouth! They ALL viewed it as some "voodoo curse" on their teams! I had one friend who would throw his hat and start cussing and kicking things when Lou did it. Seemed like Lou would always pull a rabbit out of his hat when that happened! Long Live Lou!!!!!!

Exactly right...my "ND hater" buddies couldn't stand Lou b/c they were scared of him. He drove his players to be winners and succeed; to be better than they thought they were. What a motivator! I'll never forget that "Eye of the Tiger" look that Lou and the team had coming out of the tunnel in the 89 Fiesta Bowl agains WVA....I haven't seen attitude at that level since unfortunately

The thing about Lou, is that regardless of the circumstance, I always felt like we had a good chance to win. Players suspended, road games, night games, overmatched, it didn't matter. I always, always knew he would do something to either win or put us in position to win.

While I like Charlie, I don't yet have that same feeling. I hope now that our depth, talent, and speed issues are getting addressed, I can rediscover that same bit of contentment I had when Lou was pacing the sidelines.