SHARPLEY TO START

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

We really don't know about the starting Quarterback and as Weis said he himself won't know till week two.

I'm going to take a stab at this and say it will be Sharpley. He's the only one with a tad of experience in an actual game. This will be our opener to a full house of 81,000 people. As Weis said they are young pups. I rule out Causen because of 'the jitters.' He was wide eyed at the blue Gold game before 51,000 people. The line is inexperienced and will have difficulty in protecting any QB so that again rules out Clausin IMO. It takes time for the butterflys to settle.

Pardon the expression but with a inexperienced line and dubious protection who do you want to get killed?

It wouldn't do to fumble-bumble the first few series. If we are going to establish a running game, it's hand off time, and that's really all Sharpley did in his mop up duties.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that certainly is the safe thing to do,

but charlie famously doesn't play it safe.

I think we open the season with a pass play no matter who is at qb.

GT will be stacked against the run until we prove we can do anything else.

Unable to see the players play, I find it impossible to predict who will start.

me

Guest irishrick

ok , all good points, but Charlie will start the game with sharply, its the most sensible thing to do, i see sharply playing the first half , if were ahead , and thats a big if, then Jones or Clausen will get a few snaps to lose the JITTERS, SURE JC IS THE SAVIOR, BUT to put him into the mix at first light would be a mistake, in all honesty, i would pref ere to start sharply, then put Jones in with his talent this would give us a big play. plus the run ability options. there is NO WAY JC STARTS. . CW WILL GO WITH SHARPLY UNLESS HE IS HURT. JONES WILL BE THE STARTER. 24 DAYS WE WILL FIND OUT. GO IRISH :)

In his post-spring assessment, I believe CW said Sharpley had best command of the O, Clausen threw the best and DD made the most plays.

I hear what you're saying about the jitters, but I think CW will only care about who can move the chains. I think if Sharpley can complete some passes (his only completion was a short ball) where he can at least provide some balance, he will start. All three of them can hand off. If not, I think it's Clausen who starts.

Reading between the lines from those comments, it seems like DD was not too consistent throwing, but can create other plays with his feet. I think he comes in a bit early to mix it up - especially if the starters can't consistently pass and if GT is blitzing a lot - to create some things on the ground.

Any QB can hand it off, the question is who can air it out. Why's everyone bangin' on the line? Charlie say he was more comfortable w/ the line than ever before, we now have depth. Hearing this opened the door a little more for the youngsters IMO.

I think a big factor will be who can make the defensive reads and respond with an alternative play when its required, without running out of time. Over the short term Sharpley will have some advantage over Clausen, but less over Jones. That may be a big enough difference to start the first game. Over the long term, we hope they are all competent in that area, so there shouldn't be an advantage. If Sharpley does start the first game and wins it, its going to be a bit harder not to start him the next game, etc.

Guest loweND

Part of me thinks Sharpley would make a lot of sense - especially against a blitz-happy team like Georgia Tech. If we were starting our season with a cupcake team like the other top programs do, I think Claussen would easily be the guy. But because our first four games are all going to be very tough, it might make sense to go with a veteran guy like Sharpley.

And I say that, not in the sense that I really want to win those four games, but more because I think a super-hyped guy like Claussen going 0-4 to start his career could be a major disaster for this program. Obviously that's a worst case scenario, but the fact remains, he if he doesn't perform at least moderately well every sports writer and their brother will have something to say about it - only adding to the pressure.

But then the other side of me remembers that Claussen played his entire senior season of highschool football under a fairly large microscope - and he won every game he started. And if I recall correctly, his very first pass in the AAA bowl was a perfect strike. And that was a nationally televised game. So maybe we are all kind of overestimating the 'jitter' factor. After all, this isn't just any freshman.

Either way, I think it comes down to Sharpley or Claussen. I wouldn't be surprised if both play. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Jones is going to be our decoy QB this year. So I'm actually expecting all three QBs to play in this game. Who takes the first snap, I'm not sure. Maybe Double D - just so Charlie can really mess with Tenuta's head.

I agree with loweND. I think all three play in the opening game. Just to shake GT up. They wont know what we are doing. Start DD out but pass. Bring Clausen in an run. Ha that would be fun to watch.

I would put all three on the field at the same time. Who is going to get it now GT? Trickery worked for Florida last year.

I agree with loweND. I think all three play in the opening game. Just to shake GT up. They wont know what we are doing. Start DD out but pass. Bring Clausen in an run. Ha that would be fun to watch.

I would put all three on the field at the same time. Who is going to get it now GT? Trickery worked for Florida last year.

Haha, I would absolutely love to see all three break the huddle on the first play and see the defense with the "Oh Shite" look on their faces. If i were Charlie I would do it just to mess with Tanuta.

I think all three are equal right now, but if you watch CW's august 6th vid on und.com, it sounds like the area Sharpley has the edge, managing the game, isn't as string as many of us including myself believed it to be. He talks about a managing qb doing great when all the other players are studs, but then he talks about what we have which is an inexpierienced line, recievers, etc. and says you need a qb who can win the game and not just a manager. I am NOT SAYING SHARPLEY ISN'T/WON'T BE THAT GUY. I'm not CW, not at practices, etc. But if we go by what CW has said it appears that Sharpley must show in the next few weeks that he not only manages the offense the best but is also more of a playmaker or as equal a playmaker as the other 2 guys. If i were a coach i would be scared to not chose sharpley, but CW said in that vid that he can do a lot of the managing by his play calling, and that all three qbs will be opperating between 90-100% when it comes to the qbs responsibilities before he gets his hands on the ball. Getting the right play, calling it in the huddle, making line adjustments, spotting the mike lb, etc. Again as a coach i would be afraid to not put in Sharpley, but as a fan that has seen previous coaches lose games becuase they mis-coached games and has seen CW coach the past two seasons trusts him to put in a playmaker. If our line comes together in the next few weeks then I would say it is JC. If the line is suspect then my guess would be DJ. I don't think JC's will be a problem because CW would not have eliminated ZF. We've known about these supposed bone spurs since jan/feb and i just dont think that CW would have allowed ZF to go, nor would he have left if the elbow werent going to be ready this season.

I know the common practice for bone spurs is to wait and see if they persist and then operate if needed, but CW isn't stupid.

I know I will likely be attacked for this but, my humble prediction, is that JC as the primary QB(If the elbow is ok) with DJ to come in as a situational qb like Teebow, but less snaps a game.

I would not be surprised if any of these guys become the starter, i just think that from what CW said DJ and JC are more of the playmaker types eventhough neither of the two have taken a college snap

i think you are exactly right, joe. quite honestly, i think far too many of us fans put too much "faith" in the "experience" factor, when as i've said ad nauseum, the talent factor is gonna be the deciding factor.

so, i think JC starts and i think DD gets some snaps but not many...

plus, CW's comments in the presser just re-confirmed to me my belief that the O-line will be better this year, not worse, as so many here believe.

i think i'm most excited by the fact that i think CW was more than hinting that AA will see the field early! this guy makes my mouth water! :lol: :lol:

i think i'm most excited by the fact that i think CW was more than hinting that AA will see the field early! this guy makes my mouth water! :lol: :lol:

You and me both BI. I just have a feeling that he is going to be a "hold your breath" type of a player...like rocket or that one RB that played at USC a couple years ago. His name slips my mind right now... :wink:

You and me both BI. I just have a feeling that he is going to be a "hold your breath" type of a player...like rocket or that one RB that played at USC a couple years ago. His name slips my mind right now... :wink:

was it reggie newhouse? or reggie freehouse? i can't recall his last name exactly... :lol: :wink:

I have a hard time with it not being Clausen. The fact is their are a lot of factors to consider beyond performance on the field witch I know is the most important factor. Jimmy Clausen is the highest profile recruit at Notre Dame in years. To give the job to any but else at this point I think could be costly. Not to knock the other to players trying to become the next QB I just do not see it.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?sid=674703465&url=thegipper

Ater watching CW's presser agin, I just don't see him going with more than a starter and a back-up. I think it was toward the beginning that he said something along the lines of if you have two QB's you don't really have any. I think that he really wants to settle in on one QB and build his offense around him.

Since CW said that ES is, style wise, is between JC and DD, I think that he'll be in the mix, if not the starter, then the back-up. With him in the mix, CW's offense won't have to change much, he'll work with the offense put in place for himself, JC or DD.

As I said earlier in the post, I think we'll start JC and ES will be his back-up - because GT will make us throw it. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see ES start and JC back him up. :roll:

Guest irishrick

philly, you have a very good point but i just don't see anyone but sharply taking there first snap, he has been before 80,000 before the other two need to get the jitters out of the way. I see all three playing some in the first game. , Jones is no slouch in my opinion . if sharply goes down it will be :) Jones. in my opinion