Who will be the opening day QB?

chirodomer

Who will be the opening day starter at QB for the Irish?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the opening day starter at QB for the Irish?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpanishElite
I got Sharpley.

Followed by JC mid season

I think that will be it, but I actually all 3 QBs will play before the mid way point of the season. Then Coach Weis will settle into 1 for the rest of the season.

Guest heismancaliber
According to Mark Schlabach of ESPN, Sharpley will definitely start the season and JC may redshirt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=2939645

ESPN is not too reliable when it comes to ND info, this as far as i know is simply just a rumor at this point. Why would JC redshirt if his elbow injury wasn't that serious? Doesn't make much sense since everything i've heard says he'll be pretty much good to go come fall. I think Sharpley starts the first few games and CW takes it from there. If the team is winning, keep going with the good thing. If the team is losing, give the young phenom a chance. I also think regardless of if JC or ES starts that DJ will get some plays in every game (but not too many)

Guest Deimos
According to Mark Schlabach of ESPN, Sharpley will definitely start the season and JC may redshirt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=2939645

As mentioned earlier, I don't believe ESPN until I see it. Mark especially.

Mark Schlabach was one of those people who picked us to go 2-4 to start the season a few years ago. CWs first year, he picked Michigan by like double digits. etc. Eight months ago, before the NFL Playoffs, he said the Colts were one and done, and that their defense was not fixable. He said that the Larry Johnson would rush for 100+ yards and there was nothing the Colts could do about it. The best they would have to hope for is to hold him under 200 and accept the loss. He then picked the Ravens to pound the Colts by double digits, followed up by picking New England to beat the Colts by 7.

In other words, JC will be starting.

-MW-

I went with JC.

I know we think that we will run the ball successfully, and any of the three QB's can hand the ball off. But there is going to come a time, in every game, that we are going to have to throw it, and from everything I've read and heard, JC is the best passer.

CW is going to manage the game from the sideline and I don't see alot of play calling coming out of the QB position, basic audibles will really be the only decision they will have to make, and I'm sure any of the three can be taught to do this also.

Regardless of whom starts the season, how can we replace a quarterback if he has been winning? And would we? This thought based on our winning the first three games of course. Would we want to break the momentum?

Personaly I feel that we could win with either quarterback...it's just a matter of the other offensive pieces falling into place. Which QB will fit our game plan...etc. etc.

Regardless of whom starts the season, how can we replace a quarterback if he has been winning? And would we? This thought based on our winning the first three games of course. Would we want to break the momentum?

Dreamer, no if we're winning, I think we ride that horse until it throws us - and it may take a couple of loses to do that.

Awful early out in CA isn't it ?

Dreamer, no if we're winning, I think we ride that horse until it throws us - and it may take a couple of loses to do that.

Awful early out in CA isn't it ?

A bit early, but I have been away...just wanted/needed to get back on the horse that is Notre Dame.

But I also feel that it would take a couple of loses to change the QB. I just hope that if we are going to lose a couple of games, that they are not consecutive and not to an unranked (BCS) team? And I am not against utilizing a two quarterback scheme...if the moment calls for it.

Could be very interesting to bring Demetius and Armando into the backfield...joining James and/or Robert? As long as we do so for effect and not as a gimmick...

I got Sharpley.

i agree with this. i think CW will go with sharpley because he knows the offense and run the system the best right now. but jimmy clausen will eventually take over by mid season after he learns a little more of the college game.

I got Sharpley.

i agree with this. i think CW will go with sharpley because he knows the offense and run the system the best right now. but jimmy clausen will eventually take over by mid season after he learns a little more of the college game.

Do you think CW would replace Sharpley mid-season even if we're winning?

Though of course with the last four games being significantly easier than the first eight even if we are going well I'd still expect to see the backup QB given a decent amount of playing time in those games.

Guest NDisNCin2010

CW has the football world thinking we are going to be a running team this year, using a RB by committee, that he is going to use Sharpley, run mostly and dink and dunk passes to the tight ends, and hope our D can keep us in games. (just watch the Blue Gold for verification of this)

well, guess what? i say he does the opposite on offense this year, and lets it all hang out.

JC will start the GT game, we are going to throw just as much if not more as when BQ was here, and i predict D Jones will see more "on the field" minutes than even Sharpley.

JC is a phenom, plain and simple, he is already 20 years old i believe, he can, is and will learn the system-CW will see to that (Sharpley only advantage over JC is "familiarilty w/ system, no?)

as for the RB's i say there will be only one RB who sees 75% of the snaps. not sure who he goes with, but must be able to run, block and catch (in that order) for Charlie.

CW wants everyone to prepare for a run first offense that throws a lot to the TE's...and is gonna exploit the mismatches D put themselves in to stop this.

Guest Deimos

Exactly 2010. There are two reasons JC left High School a semester early. A. Get a head start on classes. B. Learn the system, become the Man, start opening day.

(I believe he is only 18, maybe 17 still, since he just left High School in January.)

-MW-