Pocic commits to....

Hey, I'd rather him pick Illinois than Michigan.

Not that I'm afraid to face Pocic... but I love to see them brick on a kid, more than any other team. Which is funny, because I know full well that the USC rivalry means a whole lot more - to me and others.

Maybe its that I hate what USC represents - they've kind of become the "Evil Empire" of college football similar to the Yankees in baseball - but I generally dislike a lot of the players from the UM program - not to mention that Lloyd Carr is twice as irritating as "the Poodle", and that I really dislike the recruiting articles that come from scout's UM site in particular (though rivals puts out some garbage ones too).

So as long as the "Zookster" keeps swiping kids from Michigan, I'm all for it.

A four star player on both Scout and Rivals...ranked 13th and 31st at OT respectively...great offer list...I hope we are sitting as good as some people obviously think we are with Patchan and/or Forst...Are these guys that much better than Pocic? Are there other issues? What am I missing in this picture?

Guest Champion10

I think its that our coaches feel that can afford to risk it with Forst and Patchan with our recent success recruiting O-line...

I gotta say I am surprised we didn't even offer. He's a fairly local kid that seems to have very good talent. As for Patchan and Forst, well we could very easily miss out on both of them but I like our chances for at least one of them. I'm not as worried about OL recruiting as most ppl b/c altho we are young, we have alot of good, atheletic young talent at the positions. People are also forgetting about Lane Clelland and Cave and Golic. We are fine at OL and just have to continue to build depth, not worry about getting every 5 star lineman, that should be the case on the defensive side of the ball.

I used to want him to get an offer a while ago, but after really thinking about it I realized that we can be picky with alllll of these monthes left and only ONE spot. I saw a clip of him and Cwynar in Cwynars Rivals film and It was just ugly...Cwynar threw him back and to the right like a baby, I was kind of suprised of how easily he was thrown around. Then Cwynar proceeded to sack Brett Nagel, I'd say Cwynar is ready for ND.

Id like to get another OL, but Page is only 6-3 and 1/2. id like to get an OT since we already have Cave and Golic who are center/guards. I know we got Clelland who could play either, but Art Forst & Patchan are monsters. Dont get me wrong though, Id be happy to add depth if we got Page, Jenkins, or any other guard.

Guest mpstunner11

Well - in the interior it is much more about leverage. 6 3.5 is ideal height for a guard. He can get low on someone and drive. Height is important with tackles because it usually means that they have long arms which are important to block quick DEs. Forst is 6-8, yes, but he can only play a tackle position. Matt Romine, Lane Clelland, and Webb all project at tackle. There has been talk that Fauria could be converted to a tackle. I for one would love to get some great guards. I think Cave can be really good. I haven't seen film on Golic, but his weight is an issue now. We don't know much yet about Turkovich or Carufel or Olsen. We are starting to build depth, tho. I am not worried about it

Personally, I think it was the academics that slowed up an offer for Pocic. His GPA is 2.8, and his ACT was a 22. I know there isn't any one thing thats a smoking gun when it comes to admissions, but I'm not sure they felt too comfortable offering a kid who wasn't one of their top priorities, and put up grades that look pretty borderline to me. Just my take on it though.

I agree with just about everything you said mpstunner. And I feel very confident that with Coach Latina's guidance that we will get one or two very good players out of Olsen/Carufel/Turkovich as guards. 2 of the 3 were Gatorade POY in their state and Turk was a 4 star lineman himself. Not everyone pans out but I really am not worried about our OL as many ppl seem to be. We've got the bodies and just need to adopt that smashmouth mentality running the ball that we've yet to see from Charlie's playbook thus far. We've been screen/draw/countered to death thus far which was a reflection of Darius Walker's running style and our OL not being as physical as they should be.