Danny McCarthy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he's not too confused because we have one slot left open for a DB (if Blanton commits today), and he may end up being the odd man out if he takes too long.

That might be too early to presume they'll only take two defensive backs. Too early to tell.

We could lose anywhere from 2 (Wooden, Zbikowski) to 4 (add on Ferrine and Lambert) DB's after this season - perhaps more if we see injuries or transfers. And to guess who would or wouldn't exercise their 5th year option is WAY too early. From my standpoint, 3 would be a happy medium.

I also think the fact that he's the only true safety that has an offer is an indication of how highly they think of him. Add in the family ties, and I don't think he'd crossed off our list that easily. 2 corners and 1 safety wouldn't be too farfetched at all. JMO though.

I hope he's not too confused because we have one slot left open for a DB (if Blanton commits today), and he may end up being the odd man out if he takes too long.

That might be too early to presume they'll only take two defensive backs. Too early to tell.

We could lose anywhere from 2 (Wooden, Zbikowski) to 4 (add on Ferrine and Lambert) DB's after this season - perhaps more if we see injuries or transfers. And to guess who would or wouldn't exercise their 5th year option is WAY too early. From my standpoint, 3 would be a happy medium.

I also think the fact that he's the only true safety that has an offer is an indication of how highly they think of him. Add in the family ties, and I don't think he'd crossed off our list that easily. 2 corners and 1 safety wouldn't be too farfetched at all. JMO though.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and would be happy if committed tomorrow, but I would much rather have an extra DL, OL, or LB inplace of an extra DB.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and would be happy if committed tomorrow, but I would much rather have an extra DL, OL, or LB inplace of an extra DB.

I'm just trying to say that there could be a difference between what you would like to see, and what the coaching staff will do. Its less about personal preferences, and more about trying to predict where they will devote scholarships.

You could be right about 2, or I could be right about 3. Its just too early to definitely say, "We will bring in ___ DBs, so McCarthy better jump on board soon." Thats all I'm saying.

Guest NDisNCin2010

This McCarthy has me somewhat confused in terms of him coming to ND...hes got the name (OK, I confess I always root for Irishmen to be Irish)...he's got the brother here already...he's got an offer-an early one at that...hes prolly been here a dozen times for himself and watching brother's games...and yet no commit?...or even a sniff of him being an irish "lean" or that kind of thing...the train is leaving the station as we speak in light of the class filling up...i would think he ought to be getting on board quick...do i really covet him and think he is a "must get"...not really , but what the hell do i know...just weird as to me this is a kid that would/should/ and damn well better be with the success so far of this class getting on board and FAST.

he who hesitates is lost...(and usually finds themselves playing at Stanford in a college football wasteland)...GREAT school though. Maybe the kid figures he'snot NFL caliber and wants to get best degree he can, and thats why Stanford...which as much as i hate to admit has the best academic chops of ALL the Div 1 schools...and it is a beautiful place...(just not a football kind of place)

Best O' luck to Danny Boy whatever he does.

This McCarthy has me somewhat confused in terms of him coming to ND...hes got the name (OK, I confess I always root for Irishmen to be Irish)...he's got the brother here already...he's got an offer-an early one at that...hes prolly been here a dozen times for himself and watching brother's games...and yet no commit?...or even a sniff of him being an irish "lean" or that kind of thing...the train is leaving the station as we speak in light of the class filling up...i would think he ought to be getting on board quick...do i really covet him and think he is a "must get"...not really , but what the hell do i know...just weird as to me this is a kid that would/should/ and damn well better be with the success so far of this class getting on board and FAST.

he who hesitates is lost...(and usually finds themselves playing at Stanford in a college football wasteland)...GREAT school though. Maybe the kid figures he'snot NFL caliber and wants to get best degree he can, and thats why Stanford...which as much as i hate to admit has the best academic chops of ALL the Div 1 schools...and it is a beautiful place...(just not a football kind of place)

Best O' luck to Danny Boy whatever he does.

I'll be one to say it too: his recruitment has been hard to follow. He spoke with Dayne Crist at one point, who came away from that conversation thinking he was already ND's. Other than that though, its hard to get a bead on him. The only tidbit I've heard that has come from McCarthy is that he liked his Stanford trip quite a bit. Other than that, we're reading in between lines. Lives in OSU's back yard, has 'em on the list. Has family ties to ND, has 'em on the list. Nothing really concrete - he doesn't say a lot.

If he were approaching the recruiting process like Steve Filer is - taking his time, and not even having a set top 5, I'd be pessimistic about him already. But last reports on a timetable were that he wanted to end the process before his senior year started, so until then its pretty much anyone's guess. Too early for me to be down on him, but not enough for me to be "high" on him. There isn't even much film on him playing DB, so I can't even formulate a solid opinion on how good a safety he'd make.

Rumor has it that O' Danny Boy is bait for other recruits right now. How does he play? Ask anyone who has seen Cardinal Mooney play. Good hands and plays physical.reminds scouts of a one#45 Gary Fencik from Da Bears! Absolute physical JACKHAMMER might just take Capt of D his fresman yr. This kid doesn't need us. We NEED him!

he draws attention for his HS teammates(in terms of recruiting) from colleges

Ah. That makes more sense. I'm pretty sure that school would receive plenty of attention already, with Beachum and Zordich on the roster along with Dan, not to mention a rising sophomore by the name of Simon, but high schoolers can get some crazy notions in their heads sometimes. Still, its a nice idea that shows you put the team before yourself.

Guest Champion10
he draws attention for his HS teammates(in terms of recruiting) from colleges

Ah. That makes more sense. I'm pretty sure that school would receive plenty of attention already, with Beachum and Zordich on the roster along with Dan, not to mention a rising sophomore by the name of Simon, but high schoolers can get some crazy notions in their heads sometimes. Still, its a nice idea that shows you put the team before yourself.

ya I would think that they would get alot of attention already but like you said

he is in high school :lol: