Now that Hunter is on board..

reneg

First of all let me say that I am extremely pleased with how this recruiting process is going and I think ND football has an extremely bright future ahead of itself. My question is this; how is this going to effect the recruitment with Marcus Forston? Don't get me wrong Forston choosing Miami was extremely likely, however is there even a remote shot at this point he is still considering ND? Is it fesible to think Forstan could play one of the end positions in a 3-4 (he is the right size and has the athletic ability, but would he be willing to make the move?). He draws tons of comparisons to Warren Sapp and Sapp was extremely disappointing as a 3-4 DE, but he has showed he is still an elite 4-3 DT.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also thinking that Forston could play an end spot but I think ND will probably back off his recruitment and look more for an edge rusher. I was also wondering with the pickup of Hunter and Newman does it mean that Nuss and Nwankwo are probably going to move back to the O-line?

Forston can play NT or DE in the 3-4 so we are not completely out of it, but if we got Goebel or Johnson, that would pretty much kill our chances. I think Forston is waitng to see what Miami does this season before making a descision, so well have to wait until maybe October or November for him to decide.

I was also thinking that Forston could play an end spot but I think ND will probably back off his recruitment and look more for an edge rusher. I was also wondering with the pickup of Hunter and Newman does it mean that Nuss and Nwankwo are probably going to move back to the O-line?

The edge rushers in a 3-4 are the OLB's (Neal/Fleming etc). A 3-4 DE isn't going to get many sacks at all or even pressure the QB much. A DEs job in the 3-4 is to occupy the offensive lineman to make sure they keep the LBs free and they are plugging B and C gaps (for those that don't know B gap is between the tackle/guard, C gap is outside the tackle). Sean Cwynar is a prototypical 3-4 DE, has great size (6'4" 284) for the position. I think we will have the most success recruiting athletic 4-3 HS DT's and coverting them to 3-4 DEs like we are doing with Cwynar.

I was also wondering with the pickup of Hunter and Newman does it mean that Nuss and Nwankwo are probably going to move back to the O-line?

I'd say they stay on the DL this fall, though if a few others like Stephenson, Hand, Mullen or Stewart can step up and contribute, possibly one could either move or stay out to preserve a 5th year option. When Newman and Hunter land on campus next fall, that could cause them to switch back.

I think it depends on the confidence this staff has in Forston's signability. If they think they've got more than a good chance of wooing him on a visit - similar to how they approached Hunter (wow, it still seems unreal that he picked ND!), then we should see them change their tune a bit, and keep the door open for him at DE. His size is pretty similar to Cwynar's, so its not completely crazy to mention that idea.

However, if they feel that the odds are long specifically for ND - as in they feel its pretty wide open amongst all teams he's considering - I think we see this thing slowly wrap up, and the staff focus on Ethan Johnson, Garret Goebel, Kapron Lewis-Moore, or Chancey Aghayere, depending on different strategies/wants.

While I think Forston could make a great 3-4 end, I have a gut feeling that the Irish won't be as adamant about recruiting him. If they felt Forston would make his mark at NT, and they offered 4 other guys as ends, I don't think the reward would outweigh the risks at this juncture - especially since we know how difficult it is to get Miami kids out of the state. It happens once in a blue moon, and Forston sounded pretty receptive, but we'd kick ourselves if we turned away Ethan Johnson, or Goebel, and got left standing at the altar over Forston.

Guest NDisNCin2010

i choose to recall and think of the pic in irish21 avatar when i think about omar hunter...

bring on the NASTY

Guest NDisNCin2010
some may disagree with this but some people within the recruiting circle think that ND had Omar Hunter rated higher that Forston. This comes from some individuals in the know.

wouldnt surprise me.

i have been scouring the web looking for some video on Hunter as his announcement came out of left field really, and i'd say OH looks like a "true" DT in a 3-4 (great, push, burst, size, takes proper pursuit angles up the middle, takes up space, moves better in space) while MF is to me a perfect DE in a 4-3. Forston has serious speed for such a horse. i would have to think ND is recruting him as a DE, not a NG/DT for our 3-4.

You know what, screw the schemes, evaluations etc...Forston can flat out play football, if we ever got him...we may need to rename the Four Horsemen: Newman, Hunter, Forston and Williams.

this is all too much for me to imagine...neber mind waiting till LOI day for this masterpiece take its final shape.

i may need a DD vacation to digest all the commits to date. it is getting to be too much for the ticker.

Guest VagasFerguson44

If they ever make a sequel to Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Omar would be perfect!

P.S. Can't make a Fast Times ref without a shout out to Phoebe Cates! Holla!

You know what, screw the schemes, evaluations etc...Forston can flat out play football, if we ever got him...we may need to rename the Four Horsemen: Newman, Hunter, Forston and Williams.

this is all too much for me to imagine...neber mind waiting till LOI day for this masterpiece take its final shape.

i may need a DD vacation to digest all the commits to date. it is getting to be too much for the ticker.

Its amazing that Sean Cwynar is starting to become a bit of a forgotten man. When he first verballed, I remember the excitement his name generated. I mean we finally landed a DL recruit EARLY! And now he's become a bit of a footnote for this class.

Luckily, that is no knock on him; just a reflection of the other talented guys that followed the trail he blazed with this class. Cwynar, Hunter, and Newman all pass the eyeball test as being college ready lineman, particularly for juniors in HS - and they're all prototypic fits for their DL positions. And Hafis is sort of a mystery present - we don't know whether he'll be a DE or a NT for the Irish, and he's not done growing yet either.

I like all of them for different reasons, but I'll still be rooting for Cwynar (doesn't hurt that he's a fellow Illinoiser... wow thats a really lame sounding made up word). This is starting to get real fun!

i cant see the Irish backing off Forston. He would def come in and start for us even though we already have a great DL class, Forston is the cream of the crop. I believe he runs a 4.7 forty yd dash as well, so he can def play DE in the 3-4.

Welcome OMAR!!! but we could still use Forston.

The thiing with Hafis is, there is NO FILM on him anywhere. Not Scout, Rivals anywhere. Nobody can make a judgement on where he stands because we haven't seen him play. It's starting to irratate me how Rivals can't get ONE piece of footage up. Come on Rivals, step your game up.

The thiing with Hafis is, there is NO FILM on him anywhere. Not Scout, Rivals anywhere. Nobody can make a judgement on where he stands because we haven't seen him play. It's starting to irratate me how Rivals can't get ONE piece of footage up. Come on Rivals, step your game up.

Or they'll just assume that Charlie is in the know and give Hafis 3 stars.

Weis's name carries tremendous prestige inside the recruiting world.