Who's next to Commit?

NDirish66

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he didn't have a good feeling John, but FWIW I'll grab a paddle in the "Brandon Newman to ND" boat with ya and row away. A third visit is usually good news.

If it isn't Newman, I'd be surprised. My out of the blue commit would be Ethan Johnson, but that's very dependent on how he reacts to the environment this summer when he does their camp.

And if this summer is slow, look for Blanton as a safe bet. I think Slaughter is impressed, but I get the feeling he's going to let things play out a bit.

We can't have another repeat of last year. We went roughly 4 months only landing Nuss in June. I would love to see at least 15 commits by the time September rolls around. Several recruites have made comments to making a decision before the season starts. Who would be the recruites we would definitely hold out for? IMO

Filer

Floyd

Sabino

Guest domerdude

Who do we hold out for? Well frankly I think we need to hold out for the top WR's cause we haven't really landed any top notches other than Kamara last year. So I agree that Floyd should hold a schollie IMO. Also Butler and Baldwin as soon as we get one or two then its open season. I dont think we need to hold out too much for LB positions, dont get me wrong this class needs 2 ILB and probly 3 OLB and CW/CB need to continue to be solid recruiters of LB and get those numbers but we could really use a stud WR. Fill the biggest holes you know what I mean?

Two words: nose tackle.

We're going to hold out for Floyd. Sabino we won't have to, because he's slated to enroll early. Filer... I think it's 1st come 1st serve.

But nose tackle is a huge area of need. We've got a guy who was an undersized 4-3 tackle starting at nose guard (Kuntz), who is backed up by a guy who has had about 10 collegiate practices on defense (Stewart). I'm not saying these guys aren't capable, I'm just saying that things look rather thin, and its not an ideal position that we're in right now.

Yes, Ian Williams is going to join the fold, and Hand might be able to take a snap or two there, but there is nobody we're confident in as a full time starter there, let alone a guy who could take their place with injuries, let alone a guy who could handle rotational snaps.

If Forston and/or Hunter is in the mix with us towards NSD, we have to keep a spot open for them. We need depth there, and we need it moreso than WR. At least that position has a healthy # of bodies there.

Guest shark83
Newman will be Irish before we flip the calendar for June.
I agree.

I don't see anyone else definitely annoucning shortly (Dan McCarthy will probably announce soon, just not sure if it will be for ND.)

Guest NDisNCin2010

i think Weis & Co are heading down to see Newman either tonight or tomorrow...fingers crossed they close the deal on him.

Yea, Newman will meet with Corwin Brown in late May. I think its the weekend before Memorial Day. I expect him to commit then. So yes, he should be Irish before the calendar turns to June. Floyd is a guy who we need to hold out on because we have a great shot with him and outside of Brice Butler and Johnathan Baldwin (UM Fan), it doesn't look like any really good WRs are interested in us. I'm pretty sure Floyd is going to announce at the All America game in January. At nose tackle, we first need to get a commit from Goebel and/or Kabongo, then we can swing for the fences with Forston or Hunter. Forston could play DE in the 3-4 because of how athletic he is. If Ethan Johnson is going to commit, it will most likely be in late June or early July because he is at the ND camp in late June. With Filer, we are waiting a while. He will make his descision a few days before Christmas, IMO.

Several recruites have made comments to making a decision before the season starts. Who would be the recruites we would definitely hold out for? IMO

Filer

Floyd

Sabino

i would love to see sabino commit before summer. so floyd will make his decision before the season? he moved it up quit a bit from the AA game.

I keep forgetting that, you're right! Floyd would be a big, big get if we got him with months to spare before the AAA game. Getting him would allow us to prioritize RB, followed by filling out other offensive positions we have guys at already.

As for the mentioning of Kabongo, I've heard a lot of mixed things on him. Some say his upside is undeniable, while others say he's unimpressive, while others say he's great one play, getting "schooled" the next. Considering the diversity of such opinions, I'm going to say the staff will want to see if he "blows up" this fall before they offer him. We probably bring in at most 3 more guys at DL, and with 7 offers out and it only being mid May, too early for another IMO.

IMO Newman will be Irish on his next visit. If he doesn't commit then, I will be worried.

Also, I think Goebel is another possible commit if he has a great time on his visit at the end of this month. I think he's coming in on the 30th? Is that the same time as Newman?

Shark, I also see McCarthy announcing sometime in the relatively near future. I'm a little nervous about Stanford. Sure they haven't been good the past couple of years, but 1. it's California and 2. Harbaugh seems like he's a really uptempo and energetic guy.

IMO there's a very good chance of us hitting 15 before the season: I think Newman, Goebel, Filer, Blanton, and Floyd will all be Irish by September.

IMO Newman will be Irish on his next visit. If he doesn't commit then, I will be worried.

My general policy is to give things about a week after a visit before things start to cool off. Dayne Crist knew he wanted to verbal after his visit, but wanted to talk to his HS coach, and announced about 5 days after his visit. Hafis Williams wanted a blessing from a family member. Things like that happen, and given his wanting to check out all his options, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back home, leveled his head off after a day or two, then made an announcement.

My general policy is to give things about a week after a visit before things start to cool off. Dayne Crist knew he wanted to verbal after his visit, but wanted to talk to his HS coach, and announced about 5 days after his visit. Hafis Williams wanted a blessing from a family member. Things like that happen, and given his wanting to check out all his options, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back home, leveled his head off after a day or two, then made an announcement.

You may be right on this IC, and probably are, but maybe Newman has already had his cool-off and wants to come up (with his family, I believe) and commit in person at the end of the month. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Guest SirJohn

I've heard nothing but postive with newman locally, this is not to say he can't be swayed as a big fish in the small kentucky pond. June looks for a day to announce.??????

You may be right on this IC, and probably are, but maybe Newman has already had his cool-off and wants to come up (with his family, I believe) and commit in person at the end of the month. I guess we'll just wait and see.

I'll clarify: if I were a betting man, I'd put my money towards him verballing in person during the visit. Fleming, and others, have known their decision but wanted to do it in person.

I just highlighted the week after scenario, because many fickle fans might be willing to jump off the relative bridge if he doesn't verbal immediately. Given guys like Hafis, and Dayne, I wouldn't be surprised entirely if something like that happened. So I'm with you on what my "crystal ball" would tell me, but I wanted others to at least consider the possibility.