Hafis Williams

Guest JerseyDomer

Guest JerseyDomer

ND Coaches are at his school this morning.

nice little article bout it on B&G

he says he wants to go to where fits him the best

said that he couldn't say if that would be ND, but also said he couldn't say that it isn't

getting him would be very very big for us to say the least.

we seem to be sitting well with him

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shamrock83

Wasn't the distance from his grandmother a really big factor for Hafis?

If that's the case Rutgers or Penn St. seem to make the most sense

Thats the first I've heard of distance being a big issue. If you could dig up an article about that, it would be great. All I know is that he was very emotional when getting an offer from ND, and that they've made a very strong impression on him with tradition and academics.

Guest Shamrock83

I slightly remember an article on one of the paysites describing his relationship with his grandmother and possibly him stating that if she asked him to stay close to home he definitely would... almost sounded like the decision was up to her...

Then again... I could be thinking about someone else but im 90% sure it was Hafis... I'll see if I can find it

I still think he is seriously considering ND though

Guest JerseyDomer

Yes, distance was a factor.

in the article he says he does want his family to see him play as much as possible, but says that won't be the only or deciding factor.

BUT, his family would be able to see him play every single week on NBC if he chooses ND, so it's not like they won't see him play, it just won't be in person.

I'm thinkin we play that card in his recruitment along with the fact that he's better off in South Bend than anywhere. he can come in right away and compete for a starting job, and with Laws leavin and Chris Stewart just learning the position on DL, I'd have to think he would see some PT his frosh yr

Guest Shamrock83

Yeah that definitely makes sense... I guess they just have to get used to the fact that he will be leaving home to go somewhere

Televised games does really make a difference

Guest JerseyDomer
I haven't been able to get a clear response on this one: was he offered as a defensive end, a nose guard, or a "we'll see what you are when you show up" d-lineman?

Bein recruited as a DT along

Guest JerseyDomer
Yeah that definitely makes sense... I guess they just have to get used to the fact that he will be leaving home to go somewhere

Televised games does really make a difference

yup, plus too, you get a much better view from your living room as opposed to the stadium, especially for an elderly woman like his grandmother.

we need to get his grandmom on campus

Guest The_Dude_454
I haven't been able to get a clear response on this one: was he offered as a defensive end, a nose guard, or a "we'll see what you are when you show up" d-lineman?

I was thinking that, but where did you hear it? It makes sense if the numbers are correct about him being 6'-4" and 260lbs (scout) and 6'-3" and 265lbs (rivals) already. He should be able to add plenty of weight without doing much damage speed-wise.

I was thinking that, but where did you hear it? It makes sense if the numbers are correct about him being 6'-4" and 260lbs (scout) and 6'-3" and 265lbs (rivals) already. He should be able to add plenty of weight without doing much damage speed-wise.

Yeah... with the eyeball test, his frame looks more stocky, like a nose tackle's, but considering Cwynar is bigger than him (about 6'4" 280 pounds) and being recruited to play end, I'm in between two schools of thought, so I want to hear solid info that says, "Hafis was offered as a ____".

penn state wouldnt be in it for distance, a flight to ND is 10x's faster than driving up to penn state. penn state's still a pretty good hike from jersey

as for the nbc thing. that's very true. it'll be cheaper for them to watch him on tv rather than going to every game. this way they can pick n choose what games they'd like to attend.

i know i heard before that his grandmother would love him to go to ND b/c of the academics.

Okay, I asked a question on tonight's power hour for Mike Frank, and he said Hafis Williams is being looked at as a 3-4 DE, Forston as a NT, and Jamoris Slaughter as a corner. He said all three could ultimately end up at different positions, but right now, thats where we're recruiting these guys.

Guest JerseyDomer
Okay, I asked a question on tonight's power hour for Mike Frank, and he said Hafis Williams is being looked at as a 3-4 DE, Forston as a NT, and Jamoris Slaughter as a corner. He said all three could ultimately end up at different positions, but right now, thats where we're recruiting these guys.

Hey, I just try to go by what B&G has him being recruited as and they got him as bein a DT along with the other 3 guys we're lookin at too..

I'll take a guy's word like J. Sapp who's actually played the game as opposed to Mike Frank, sorry.

and in the article from yesterday on B&G, they talked to Hafis and he said he is closer to 290lbs now as opposed to the 280lbs he says he's listed at on some recruiting sites...

So we got a 6 foot 3 inch 285 lb DT who's a beast

Oh no, I'm not trying to go on the offensive or anything Jersey. Hope it didn't come off that way.

For all we know, Hafis may end up at NT. Just from the eyeball test, he looks more like a NT prospect to me, so I was surprised at first to hear him being recruited at DE. But the only info I'm interested in right now is where he is being recruited at today, and that is DE says Mike Frank. Considering I know he interviewed the kid on one of his Power Hours, I trust that he'd get a thing like that right.

This is just an "IMO" thing, but if we brick on some of the big name DT's like Omar Hunter and Marques Forston (which is a distinct possibility), then we might see Hafis treated as the 2nd NT behind Newman. Because after Newman, Hunter, and Forston, who stands out as the next interested NT? Maybe the recently de-committed Gillespie out of Texas? Kabongo? The latter might be like Goebel, a DE in this scheme, and the former... well, if a guy commits and de-commits this early, you have to think Weis would be leery going after a kid like him.

I know what you're getting at Jersey, that Sapp can offer more insight into football than Frank, and can project guys better than him based on having walked a mile in a HS and college player's shoes, but for the specific purpose of finding out where a guy is being recruited at today, previous playing experience has nothing to do with this kind of basic journalism.

Oh no, I'm not trying to go on the offensive or anything Jersey. Hope it didn't come off that way.

For all we know, Hafis may end up at NT. Just from the eyeball test, he looks more like a NT prospect to me, so I was surprised at first to hear him being recruited at DE. But the only info I'm interested in right now is where he is being recruited at today, and that is DE says Mike Frank. Considering I know he interviewed the kid on one of his Power Hours, I trust that he'd get a thing like that right.

This is just an "IMO" thing, but if we brick on some of the big name NT's like Omar Hunter and Marques Forston (which is a distinct possibility), then we might see Hafis treated as the 2nd NT behind Newman. Because after Newman, Hunter, and Forston, who stands out as the next interested NT? Maybe the recently de-committed Gillespie out of Texas? Kabongo? The latter might be like Goebel, a DE in this scheme, and the former... well, if a guy commits and de-commits this early, you have to think Weis would be leery going after a kid like him.

I know what you're getting at Jersey, that Sapp can offer more insight into football than Frank, and can project guys better than him based on having walked a mile in a HS and college player's shoes, but for the specific purpose of finding out where a guy is being recruited at today, previous playing experience has nothing to do with this kind of basic journalism.

Guest JerseyDomer

No prob Calves, not tryin to pick a verbal war or anything, DD I believe is above that.

But also too, I believe MF is incorrect on where Hafis is being recruited at, from what I've read from several articles on him at B&G it's been DT all the way, not on the outside like Cynwar. Plus, the latest I've read at B&G about him was actually dated yesterday when our staff was at his school to visit him. His high school coach actually had to end the call early due to ND coaches just arrived at the school. The article did mention again that he'll be on the interior.

Not sure if you have a premium account with IrishEyes or not, but you might wanna check out B&G, they do the best job I think in relation to ND and they have weekly radio too, just an idea.

Guest gofightingirishnd

Just to clarify, Blue and Gold Illustrated has not projected Williams as a nose tackle. He might be listed as a defensive tackle because that's the position he plays in high school. Depending on how he continues to grow, he might be capable of playing inside or outside a la Trevor Laws. He could either be a nose tackle at the collegiate level if he continues to bulk up, or if he hovers around the 290-300 pound mark, he could play defensive end on the strong side.

It also has to do with how strong he is...is he strong enough to take on centers and guards for a game? Or, is he quick enough off the ball with good enough technique to get around offensive tackles?

Guest JerseyDomer
Just to clarify, Blue and Gold Illustrated has not projected Williams as a nose tackle. He might be listed as a defensive tackle because that's the position he plays in high school. Depending on how he continues to grow, he might be capable of playing inside or outside a la Trevor Laws. He could either be a nose tackle at the collegiate level if he continues to bulk up, or if he hovers around the 290-300 pound mark, he could play defensive end on the strong side.

It also has to do with how strong he is...is he strong enough to take on centers and guards for a game? Or, is he quick enough off the ball with good enough technique to get around offensive tackles?

OK

the more big bodies that are actually capable of playing we find, the more likely we can seamlessly transition from 3-4 to 4-3 personel from play to play. In our base D though (3-4), i think Calves is right, that he'd be expected to try to get a shot at the DE spot. There really is only a NT in that alignment.