Masengo Kabongo

Guest NDFANINTEXAS

Guest NDFANINTEXAS

What a name!

Rivals100 defensive tackle Masengo Kabongo made his way to South Bend last weekend to attend Notre Dame's Blue and Gold game.

"I liked it a lot and I don't have much doubts that they are my leader," he said. "

-Kabongo

ND has not offered yet.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NDFANINTEXAS
Great news! No offer yet.

They said that they liked his tape but they wanted to get to know him as a person first, and he said that he was cool with that.

His rivals footage is decent. I like the way he pursued the play even when it was down field. I didn't see a ton of explosiveness off the ball, but he looked like a physical prospect, perhaps in the run stuffing mold if he plays DE. Certainly worthy of consideration by the coaching staff.

Here's what I envisioned, after pondering the name for a moment (and please tell me if you think its too inappropriate, wasn't meant to be):

The house that Rockne built is holding it's collective breathe. The game all the pundits have been looking forward to for 2009 has met the hype, and is down to the wire as predicted. The Jeweled Shillelagh is on the line, with the Trojans holding the ball on the Irish 28, with five seconds left, no time outs, and needing four to tie, five to win.

Mitch Mustian ( :lol: ) drops back, looks to his left, and sees his primary receiver blanketed by Gary Gray. He looks to his 2nd option over the middle, and sees David Posluszny on the TE's hip. He now feels the pressure, and starts to roll out to his right. One of the Irish safeties has slipped and fallen, and Mitch sees his slot receiver all alone! He rears back to fire, just as Masengo DIVES at his feet, fully extending for an unbelievable shoestring sack.

THE CROWD ERUPTS, as the Irish knock off their most hated foes. The vibrations from the stadium can be felt for miles.

Yet above all the fray and ruckus, the instrumentations of "The Ka-Bongos", the most loyal of Notre Dame fan clubs, can be heard.

Guest mbradle3

i like the fantasy irishcalves...

what does everyone think charlie wanted to see in person from this kid? i think if a kid is has the physical aspects and really wants to play at notre dame, they should be the first ones that charlie should offer... i hope this kid picks up an offer.

i like the fantasy irishcalves...

what does everyone think charlie wanted to see in person from this kid? i think if a kid is has the physical aspects and really wants to play at notre dame, they should be the first ones that charlie should offer... i hope this kid picks up an offer.

I think he may want to talk with him, possibly access his character? Get a feel for where we really stand with him should an offer go out?

First of all, welcome bradle.

Second, if he were to come to Notre Dame, I would seriously STRONGLY consider special ordering a set of Ka-bongos, and play them when he was involved with a play defensively (and yes, you'd all get to see pictures of them).

Third, my two cents are either they genuinely are unfamiliar with him, and want to know more before they offer - which could be true, given his lack of experience playing football having moved from Congo - or its a case where they think the guys they've offered ahead of him are simply better, and should be given time before they offer someone else. They've offered three true defensive ends, (Sean Cwynar, Chancey Aghayere, and Kapron Lewis-Moore), two that are HS tackles, and could play either line position, but look a little more like ends in the 3-4 scheme (Marques Forston, Hafis Williams), and two that look like noseguards (Brandon Newman, Omar Hunter). So, they may really think the guys they've offered ahead of him are bigger difference makers than Kabongo, and would want to give them a shot at committing to ND before they give a scholarship to a guy thats as high on ND as him.

probably not character issues, just how serious he is about football. Sorry to stereotype, but often guys who's family's move from Africa to the Northeast are extremely academics oriented and would love to get a scholarship to ND but not be completely committed football (how horrible right). I must stress that i know nothing of this kid and there are obviously dozens of examples to the contrary (Omobi Okoyi for one).

One of the many Ty debacles was giving a scholarship to Abdel Banda based on raw physical talent (or lack of effort to recruit anyone else in 2004). This kid is obviously already good though, if he's in the rivals100 already.

Also, perhaps he's just not tops on their list. So the "getting to know the person" line is a stall tactic.

Yeah, didn't mean so much character in the sense I made it sound, but to see and discuss what he and Notre Dame hope to gain from one another. But honestly, I was actually thinking along the lines of IrishCalves...kind of like the possible plan 'B' scenario, and Coach Weis sharing his thoughts with him.

Yeah, didn't mean so much character in the sense I made it sound, but to see and discuss what he and Notre Dame hope to gain from one another. But honestly, I was actually thinking along the lines of IrishCalves...kind of like the possible plan 'B' scenario, and Coach Weis sharing his thoughts with him.

i agree, thats a great way to put it. the name is hard to pass up though isnt it?