Filer

Guest JerseyDomer

Guest JerseyDomer

OK, does anyone know where he was this weekend?

I know he was supposed to be at OSU's spring game, but a close friend said that Filer was in South Bend, made a surprise trip.

I haven't seen anything that says he was

I tried on some OSU sites and can't seem to find anything if he was or wasn't there. I haven't really read any Asseye fans saying he was

If anyone has anything please post it. thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCIrish

An article ran today on II advertising his favorites. Anyone with a summation of where we presently stand based on his interview?

I agree with the sentiment that the longer this plays out, the worse it is for us.

From what I've read, it sounds like us, Michigan, OSU and now Illinois...

Signing an elite LB would really help. I'm hoping we can sign a few this year along with McDonald.

Hoping it is Filer and Arthur Brown..

well DC, I'd say McDonald and Fleming are a damn good start. Filer you'd like to get being close in the Midwest and Brown would just be through the roof. I have a checked enthusiasm that we'll get at least one of them, although I feel much better about Filer at this point. As you said tho, hopefully it doesn't drag out. Brown is gonna be super tough to get.

yeah McDonald and Fleming are both elite but it would obviously be great to add Filer, another elite guy and Chicago guy, to the list. He seems extremely open right now and has no plans to commit early. I think we've got as good a shot as anyone but its not going to happen anytime soon.

It's disapointing because all of us wanted to land him and Floyd really early but it just isn't going to happen that way. Long way till February.

chris, you really think February for both? Just an IMO thing?

I can see Floyd that long, but I'm not as sure about Filer. Most of the time, national prospects take that long, but Filer is pretty much a midwest kid. Maybe you've heard something, or just in general know more than I do.

no no no sorry didn't mean to imply that. Just sayign that there's a long way to go for a lot of guys. Filer mentioned something about maybe taking trips after his senior season so it might be a while with him, you never know though.

I have no idea when Floyd is going to announce.

well the kid's 17/18 yrs old. give 'em a break. if he wants to make sure he's making the right decision and announce it on national television then let him.

if u were being recruitied, u'd want to do the same. it's the big time when announcing at the AA gm.

Also if he chooses ND at the game, that's good for the program b/c we get a lil' recognition.

Guest DCIrish

Did anyone read his most recent article on II? I would be curious as to what he says.

Do we have some great LB recruits coming in? Of course. That said, we need to stockpile talent there. Let's face it. We are one year removed from having to use a RB at LB. That should tell you about our talent at that position.

Although not specifically stated, I know everyone is worried about being left at the altar like with Donald and would like to see him choose a school early so we can move on to other targets if he does not choose ND.

I realize it's a long ways off and this might take a while though with Filer. I'm as impatient as anyone though.

I want him because I think he is a natural Mike LB, it would help our reputation in Chicago area recruiting after Wilson and seems to be a good kid...

Did anyone read his most recent article on II? I would be curious as to what he says.

Do we have some great LB recruits coming in? Of course. That said, we need to stockpile talent there. Let's face it. We are one year removed from having to use a RB at LB. That should tell you about our talent at that position.

Although not specifically stated, I know everyone is worried about being left at the altar like with Donald and would like to see him choose a school early so we can move on to other targets if he does not choose ND.

I realize it's a long ways off and this might take a while though with Filer. I'm as impatient as anyone though.

I want him because I think he is a natural Mike LB, it would help our reputation in Chicago area recruiting after Wilson and seems to be a good kid...

I heard that it said that he was nowhere near a decision.

I know this'll be a little odd, but it does pertain to Steve Filer.

Ohio State picked up a verbal commitment from Nathan Williams today, the 8th member of their class.

While rivals has him listed at DE, the folks at rivals also have Darius Fleming listed at DE, and Sean Cwynar at DT, so don't put much stock into where he is listed at. His HS position is LB, FWIW.

"Ohio State, the talked to me about playing a Bobby Carpenter position. They call it the Viper position, and they want me blitzing off the end, and staying back in coverage as well, so, they just told me to do a variety of things."

I've also got video on his positional choice if you want:

rivals.com video of commitment

Point being, they already had a limited # of guys they wanted to bring in at LB. With him coming in the fold as a LB for them, thats makes it all the more likely that Filer doesn't get an offer from OSU. One less spot available, and they still have offers for Christian Wilson, Brandon Beal, Shayne Hale, Andrew Sweat and Michael Zordich.

It looks like (no particular order) Michigan, ND, Illinois, and Wisconsin at this point, but as Shakko pointed out, this is going to take a while, which means things can change for him.

Guest shark83
Point being, they already had a limited # of guys they wanted to bring in at LB. With him coming in the fold as a LB for them, thats makes it all the more likely that Filer doesn't get an offer from OSU.
Filer does have an offer from OSU, but like you said, there might not be a spot left for him, if they land Sweat and Hale.

I thought they were only aiming for 2 LB's, since there are only 2 seniors who could graduate at that position for them. And including their 2 incoming freshman, they'll have a pool of 12 LB's for this upcoming year, which is plenty deep for a 4-3 defense. Still, they'd be fools to say no to either Sweat or Hale.

Guest shark83
I thought they were only aiming for 2 LB's, since there are only 2 seniors who could graduate at that position for them. And including their 2 incoming freshman, they'll have a pool of 12 LB's for this upcoming year, which is plenty deep for a 4-3 defense. Still, they'd be fools to say no to either Sweat or Hale.
The OSU guy I talk to occasionally has told me he believes that Williams might eventually outgrow the LB position, fwiw.

The OSU guy I talk to occasionally has told me he believes that Williams might eventually outgrow the LB position, fwiw.

Thats what a lot of pundits are saying. So it means 1 of 2 things: pundits are wrong, and he is coming in at LB, or OSU is giving this kid a different story than their long term plan is for him. But at this point, the subject is moot. It looks like we don't need to worry about Buckeye country vying for Filer, unless they miss on a lot of other kids. Which they won't. Kids pay attention to where AJ Hawk's and James Laurinaitis's go to school.