Sam McGuffie

Guest NDisNCin2010

Guest NDisNCin2010

Anyone know what's going on with Sam...? Very quiet on him lately after 100+ replies to a topic on him couple months ago...hope not indicative of him most likely committing elsewhere.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, something tells me we're definitely not in this one. Too bad we won't get the self proclaimed "freak athlete", who ran some "hellacious" 40 times. For any of you guys who've seen the II articles on him you know what I'm talking about...

I'd really like this kid to go to OU though. He'll be a lot less of a headache for us there then if he goes to scUM. FWIW though, the staff said Carlton Thomas' highlights were the best they've seen this year :D

It is widely thought that he and JB Shugarts are packaged deal (Kicker Randy Bullock is also in that mix). At this juncture (LONG WAY TO GO) both are considered A&M leans.

After Aundre Dean de-committed due to concerns over the offense (he is an I-Back type and we run a spread veer) CDF had told McGuffie and Cyrus Grey he is taking only one more RB. Cyrus Grey currently has two teamates signed to A&M and another one verbally committed (Tony Jerod); if McGuffie committs first they will pursue him as a WR/PR/KR. If Grey committs first it is assumed that the same action would happen for McGuffie.

Based upon stuff I am hearing from the A&M coaching staff the outlook for RB's may ultimately be determined by how Bradley Stephens does this summer in workouts. It is believed by many on the staff that Stephens will be the #2 RB on the team and will share a good number of carries with Michael Goodson. Essentially sinking any hope at bringing in a big name RB this year.

There are some grade concerns with McGuffie, but he is really a freakish athelete (despite what Geoff Ketchum says). The other plus side to McGuffie is that he is a player who is REALLY well connected with the other H-Town players. He is friends with Craig Loston and Russell Sheppard both EARLY Rivals 100 2009 kids.

Guest shark83

HMFIC, how good is this Sheppard kid. Is anywhere near the level that Vince Young was coming out of high school?

Him and Bryce Brown (Arthur Brown's little brother) sound like the early canidates for top player in '09.

Shark, he made a LOUSY Cy-Ridge team competitive. The only knock on him is his height (6'1), while only a sophmore it is reasonable to expect he grow some more.

He and Garret Gilbert Pro-Style QB out of Lake Travis are expected to compete for the top prospect in the state next year.

In regards to nations #1, too early to tell. But he is a surefire offer him now type player.

Guest NDisNCin2010

recent article on Sam McGuffie...gard to read, biut like you guys say, looks like A+M the ones to beat...FOR NOW...go get him, Charlie!!

Cy-Fair's (Texas) all-purpose back Sam McGuffie is not what he appears on the highlight reels.

While McGuffie legitimately has over tons of views on Rivals.com, the lightning quick running back has a chip on his shoulder as big as Texas.

"I know what everyone says," McGuffie, whose recent offers include Miami, Florida State, California and Iowa State, says. "Among other things, I can't run up the middle. I'll be a receiver in college. I haven't been clocked at 4.28 in the 40-yard dash. All of that just fuels my fire."

"I know I'm controversial. But people don't know the half of it."

His best buddies are J.B. Shugarts and Russell Shepard. He also was once on pace to be a junior Olympic gymnast, which explains some of the non-football clips on his Myspace.com page.

"I'm a freak athlete," McGuffie said.

McGuffie is seen back-flipping and training by running on top of street curbs, not to mention his freakish football clips.

"I really believe I'm one of the top all-around athletes in the country," he said. "I'm a 24-foot long-jumper and a 6-foot-8 high-jumper. I have a top SPARQ rating, and have one of the best shuttle and 40-yard dash times in the country. Not to mention, the yards and touchdowns I put up in Class 5A Texas football as a junior."

It's hard to argue with his production on the football field or the track oval, but how does he do it? Is it something you can teach or are you born with it?

"I've got a lot of praise for my running back and track coach James Reese," he said. "He never gets a lot of credit or is in the limelight, but he's a great teacher."

Over the past 10 years, Cy-Fair has been blessed with three talented running back/track athletes. Ryan Beard (Michigan) and Omar Conteh (Northwestern) came before McGuffie and have several of the same characteristics.

"Fans in the stands or people watching his tapes see exciting plays," Reese said. "But there are a few things that make Sam very good. We preach steps and patient speed. He reads and waits for his lineman to make their blocks. Then he hits the holes at that fifth gear.

"On film, the holes look huge because he is hitting them at the exact right time. If you have a running back who is a split second slower or not patient, that hole isn't there. That's what sets him apart. The other thing is that he carried the ball over 350 times and fumbled twice last year. He's just very skilled with good technique."

While McGuffie is outspoken, when it comes to narrow down his list, he get's very elusive.

"I really like everyone," McGuffie said. "I'd love to get an offer from LSU, but they haven't yet. Texas A&M is not what I thought it would be. It's way better than I initially thought. Oklahoma was tight when I went there. Florida, Miami, Notre Dame, Michigan, Minnesota, Cal, Oklahoma State, Florida State – they are all up there."

Hard to pin down, just like on the field.

Guest grover

I just watched the video. I generally prefer the soft spoken ultra talented guys like Walter Payton and LaDanian Tomlinson, but the kid is right.

He IS a freakish athlete! He would likely be the most athletic guy on the team from day one.

I, for one, think that if he can read and write (as Coach would say) ND should make every effort to bring him to South Bend! Think of the options with he and Armando in the same backfield in some formations.

We have gone over all of this before...

But it is worth talking about more, this kid is a Bad,Bad man. I know we don't have much of a shot with him but i just wish we could get this guy! 45 vert :shock: holy crap.. vince carter i think has a 42

Guest irishrick

has the irish made him an offer///// OTHERWISE I SEE A MICHIGAN OFFER AND ACCEPTING FOR THIS KID , I THINK GRADES may be a problem for ND. :(

Guest NDisNCin2010

go to his profile on rivals they have some new free video on it. i have never seen anything like this kid...and he is playing against the top tier schools in Texas, no cupcakes, making people miss, hardly being touched, flying all over the place...if we ever got him, the ND faithful would be mesmerized from day 1. what CW could do with Sams talents would be downright scary.

has the irish made him an offer///// OTHERWISE I SEE A MICHIGAN OFFER AND ACCEPTING FOR THIS KID , I THINK GRADES may be a problem for ND. :(

Not sure where you heard this Rick, never heard anything about grades being an issue w/ Sam. He has an offer but his grades are unlisted. Are you just speculating Rick?

man this kid can flat out fly. he darts up field faster then anyone i've seen this year and he does a real nice job of setting his defenders up. i wonder how CW would use this kid but it's going to be hard to land him considering everyone is after him not to mention the depth ND is starting to accumulate at RB.

Guest The Army Awakens

McGuffie can flat out play no doubt but Scott looks like a three time all american and first round draft pick it would be like passing on Adrian Peterson and there is a pre existing relationship with Jimmy C. and look how that helped us with Allen...

So my vote would be D. Scott as well. But I would take McGuffie if not..