OT: Bruins deliver recruiting punch to Trojans

Guest heismancaliber

Guest heismancaliber

Rumors are UCLA received upwards of 4 or 5 commits today, 3 have been confirmed: CA LB Uona Kaveinga who USC apparently was very high on, CA DB Rahim Moore who is gonna be very highly ranked, and CA RB Jonathan Franklin. There are also rumors that CA DE Datone Jones committed as well. This is big for ND as i think with UCLA showing more muscle on the recruiting trail, USC is going to have to spend more time now on in-state recruits and less time on the OOS studs that we are going to be battling them for.

The Bruins recently hired a new WR coach named Eric Scott who was a coach at Crenshaw HS. Scott has a bit of a sketchy reputation and is gonna make it tough for USC (and ND) to pull kids from the inner city HS's in LA.

*** edited to say Datone Jones DID commit, as did WR Kemonte Batemen, S EJ Woods, and S Antwon Moutra. UCLA is now outrecuiting all the Pac-10 (including USC)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest heismancaliber
Wonder how the Kavienga commit (if true) affects McDonalds offer from SC

I think USC is gonna find out they are late to the party when it comes to McDonald

Guest heismancaliber

Compare the two though

ND comes in and offers him basically off the bat, makes him a priority at LB

SC on the other hand didn't offer, and now if they do its only because a higher target committed elsewhere.

I think McDonald can see the difference.

Fighton was on here the other day using Datone Jones as an example of kids who are swayed by USC offers...obviously that didn't prove to hold much water

Compare the two though

SC on the other hand didn't offer, and now if they do its only because a higher target committed elsewhere.

Fighton was on here the other day using Datone Jones as an example of kids who are swayed by USC offers...obviously that didn't prove to hold much water

Brian Smith, Iowa to ND

Guest heismancaliber
Compare the two though

Brian Smith, Iowa to ND

throughout the entire recruiting process Brian Smith was BEGGING for an ND offer. Even when he committed to Iowa he blatantly said "an ND offer could change things"

McDonald's comments so far in the recruiting process have been nothing like Smith's were last year. I dont think the 2 are comparable

Guest heismancaliber
great, now we get to rehash the whole McDonald thing again. Sure can't wait to do that.

no offense but if you dont like it, don't read the thread

but back to the current discussion, this could be the day that the recruiting momentum in CA changes from SC to the Bruins, between Eric Scott and 13-9, the Bruins are on the rise evidently.

I'm interested to hear Fighton's take on this

Guest fighton2007

UCLA did haul in a great group of players today... looks like their hiring of Eric Scott is paying off immediate dividends.

I'm still convinced Datone Jones will be a Trojan. The battle for his services is just starting.

great, now we get to rehash the whole McDonald thing again. Sure can't wait to do that.

Ya really. Uh oh, I just heard McDonald now has USC as his #1. Not good at all guys... :lol:

I'm glad to see UCLA competing with USC for these top CA guys again. Moore is going to be a huge stud IMO.

Guest fighton2007

Heismancaliber,

It's funny that UCLA now controls the inner-city LA schools (Crenshaw, Compton, Dorsey, etc). That used to be USC territory back in the day - not anymore though. Adding ex-Crenshaw coach Eric Scott to the UCLA staff only strenghtens their hold in the area.

UCLA's recruiting base is the inner-LA city - this area isn't known for great football talent, but it will pay off because there seems to be a lot of talent from this area in the class of 2008. Of UCLA's 8 commits, 2 of them had been offered by USC (Jones and Rahim Moore - both city guys). Because they are so close and there is always overlap, USC will lose a few recruits to UCLA every year.

On the other hand, USC coaches/fans aren't too worried. For the most part, USC controls the OC area, known to be the best area of football in the nation (Mater Dei, Servite, etc...). They also have a pretty good hold on the traditional football powerhouses/private schools around LA (LBPoly, Taft, Notre Dame HS, Oaks Christian, etc.) Add in the fact that SC usually gets the top players from NorCal as well as landing many OOS studs from all over the country and USC is still tops in CFB recruiting.

But yeah, it always sucks to lose a recruit to a rival (UCLA or ND).

Heisman, I think you need to show Rockne a little more respect. If there were forefathers of Domer Domain, he is one of them; so be cool. And, you said "no offense" not "with all due respect." Every knows you can say whatever you want after "with all due respect."

Guest bhatta

A few months ago, I spoke with Coach Carroll about his recruiting practices and he basically said he isn't worried about it because they only offer 30 players or so and pick up a majority of those. They'll be fine.

As far as McDonald goes, all indications are he's ND's to lose because of the respect he feels from the staff. We'll see how it all goes down, but I wouldn't worry about it, Brian Smith-situation or not.

Guest Black Irish9

I know this McDonald thing has been discussed endlessly, but heisman and bhatta have got it right, theres no comparison to the Brian Smith situation. Unless something serious changes (and no I am NOT talking about a USC offer) McDonald will be irish. Read gallup's interview if you don't believe me.

Im sure when/if McDonald commits, Charlie will have a talk with him to make sure that a USC offer wouldn't change his commitment. If we at DD are conscious of a situation like that, Im sure Weis is more than on top of it.

Again, apologies for dragging this out even further.

I know this McDonald thing has been discussed endlessly, but heisman and bhatta have got it right, theres no comparison to the Brian Smith situation. Unless something serious changes (and no I am NOT talking about a USC offer) McDonald will be irish. Read gallup's interview if you don't believe me.

Im sure when/if McDonald commits, Charlie will have a talk with him to make sure that a USC offer wouldn't change his commitment. If we at DD are conscious of a situation like that, Im sure Weis is more than on top of it.

Again, apologies for dragging this out even further.

Hey is that Grant Irons in your avatar? That guy was an ANIMAL!!