Let's see some big names!

Guest heismancaliber

Guest heismancaliber

I gotta start this off by saying i mean no disrespect to Golic Jr., Goodman, or Cave. I'm proud of them for making a great decision and accepting the offers of their dream school, obviously we'd do the same thing if we were in their shoes.

my only problem with these commits so far, none have come from national level recruits. if a guy's only offers are from Big 10 schools and us that just means he's a regional level recruit, not a national level player. If he was a national level, big-time recruit he'd have offers from USC & Florida. Golic Jr i think only had one offer and that was from UConn. These guys can turn out to be diamonds in the rough, but the big name guys are the people who attract attention from other recruits across the country. If you remember last year both Ragone and Kamara said they signed with ND in large part due to Jimmy Clausen. I doubt your'e gonna see Mike Adams say "I'm comin to ND so I can block alongside Braxston Cave"

It seems like Charlie is settling so far for kids he knows he can get to verbal early as opposed to the bigger names out there. Thats fine and all but we're not exactly closing the talent gap with Florida, USC, Texas, etc by doing this.

Also our most pressing need is still D and we have yet to land a single defensive commitment

With that said, there is still plenty of time to land those big name guys and if we can get Floyd (or someone like Filer or TJ Bryant) to pull the trigger soon it'll definately ease my fears. It just pains me to look at USC's commit list so far and see like all kids who are gonna be top 100 players whereas it seems like our 3 guys aren't gonna be as highly regarded.

I really think this 08 class will be the biggest make-or-break class for CW since he's been at ND, if we can haul in some studs on D we will be able to contend for titles in 09 and 2010

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, its March 4, they aren't even done with their Junior year of HS. No one has any clue how these kids are gonna pan out in another year and a half. These Rivals 100 to watch are a joke if you are looking for a list of talented players. Last year, roughly 35 of the last Top 100 were on the Top 100 to watch. Looking at our current commits, we have a Center, and a guy that's gonna play DT in college. Then we have a WR, who most people say is a Samardzija clone. And looking at SC's class, who on their list do you know is a guarunteed stud? Shoemate? He's a solid HS player, but you have no idea how he is going to be in college. Recruiting has been overblown bigtime about stars, rankings, etc. The bottomline is we have no idea how Hs players are going to turn out when it matters in college. Clausen could be a bust. Sharpley could win the Heisman. We just dont know.

Guest heismancaliber
Dude, its March 4, they aren't even done with their Junior year of HS. No one has any clue how these kids are gonna pan out in another year and a half. These Rivals 100 to watch are a joke if you are looking for a list of talented players. Last year, roughly 35 of the last Top 100 were on the Top 100 to watch. Looking at our current commits, we have a Center, and a guy that's gonna play DT in college. Then we have a WR, who most people say is a Samardzija clone. And looking at SC's class, who on their list do you know is a guarunteed stud? Shoemate? He's a solid HS player, but you have no idea how he is going to be in college. Recruiting has been overblown bigtime about stars, rankings, etc. The bottomline is we have no idea how Hs players are going to turn out when it matters in college. Clausen could be a bust. Sharpley could win the Heisman. We just dont know.

Look at who has won the last 4-5 national championships and then come back to me about that argument. Last time i checked Florida, Texas, and USC weren't exactly bringing in low rated classes.

Guest shark83

5*'s and High 4*'s usually end up taking most of their official visits, so we just have to patient (ex. Robert Hughes, Matt Romine, Sam Young, etc...).

Guest gallup21

SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT Pos Stars Ht Wt 40 RR Video Hometown

Charles Brown OL 6-6 249 5.12 5.7 Pomona, CA

Luthur Brown LB 6-3 227 4.57 6.0 Lakewood, CA

Michael Coleman ATH 6-2 225 4.5 5.7 San Bernardino, CA

Brian Cushing LB 6-4 216 4.51 6.0 Oradell, NJ

Kevin Ellison LB 6-0 214 4.72 5.6 Inglewood, CA

Cary Harris DB 6-1 180 4.4 5.9 Sherman Oaks, CA

Will Harris DB 6-3 195 4.5 6.0 Covina, CA

Thomas Herring OL 6-6 320 4.8 - Los Angeles, CA

Nick Howell OL 6-5 253 5.16 5.6 Fresno, CA

Kaluka Maiava LB 5-11 212 4.66 5.9 Wailuku, HI

Rey Maualuga LB 6-2 253 4.72 6.1 Eureka, CA

Mozique McCurtis DB 6-1 220 4.4 - San Diego, CA

Kyle Moore DE 6-6 247 4.73 6.0 Warner Robins, GA

Mark Sanchez QB 6-4 211 4.7 6.1 Mission Viejo, CA

Averell Spicer DE 6-2 260 4.6 6.0 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Kevin Thomas DB 6-0 166 4.49 6.0 Oxnard, CA

Patrick Turner WR 6-5 210 4.55 6.1 Nashville, TN

Troy Van Blarcom K 6-3 200 4.8 5.5 Orange, CA

That's USC's class of 2005...so they were soph.s last year, im probably doing this wrong but i decided to research it a little and found...

Mark Sanchez was a 5* QB coming out of HS....according to the Rivals.com profile atleast, it seems as if Booty was a 0* (there was probably a defect somewhere but still) and he had back problems going into last year. Look who won the job and look who led the team to a not perfect-yet Rose Bowl winning experience. Look who was charged with rape i think it was, and rode the bench the entire year. Just 1 example, but just trying to show stars arent everything all the time

Guest shark83
Booty was a 0* (there was probably a defect somewhere but still)

Rivals only goes keeps the past 5 classes in their database, I believe Booty was class of 2001, so that's probably why you can't find his star rating (He was a 5* by the way).

You do have a good point tho Nick. Guys like Jeff Samardjiza, Green Bay Packer LB A.J. Hawk, Michigan RB Michael Hart, PSU LB Paul Posluszny and Pittsburgh CB Darrelle Revis were all 3*'s coming out of high school and they all have fared well for themselves.

Guest heismancaliber
Booty was a 0* (there was probably a defect somewhere but still)

Rivals only goes keeps the past 5 classes in their database, I believe Booty was class of 2001, so that's probably why you can't find his star rating (He was a 5* by the way).

You do have a good point tho Nick. Guys like Jeff Samardjiza, Green Bay Packer LB A.J. Hawk, Michigan RB Michael Hart, PSU LB Paul Posluszny and Pittsburgh CB Darrelle Revis were all 3*'s coming out of high school and they all have fared well for themselves.

Booty was supposed to be in the class of 2004 but graduated a year early and enrolled at SC with the class of 03. He was ranked the #1 QB of the 03 class by Scout ahead of Kyle Wright, Chris Leak, JaMarcus Russell and was a 5-star prospect

For the most part if u look back at the key players for SC, they were all highly ranked (Bush, White, Byrd, Leinart, Bing, Baker, etc) the only guy who flew under the radar was C Ryan Kalil who was a 3 star on both sites

We'll get the big names in time. Like the other's said, it's only March 4th, and the "big name" guys usually take a while to make their decision. Right now we're offering a lot of guys, and we're building the foundation of this class with solid prospects. All these kids are "Brian Smith" types, and I would be VERY surprised if any of them backed out of their verbals. 2 OL prospects, and 1 WR who has Shark-like measureables.

Right now we're doing EXACTLY what we should be doing, making a lot of offers, getting in contact and picking up quality verbals, what's the difference if we get a couple 3 star kids in the beginning or the end of the class, as we've seen over the last 2 years, Weis DOES NOT recruit like Ty, we are going after the top guys!!! It looks to me like CW is finally getting comfortable wtih this recruiting thing... :D :D

Guest The Army Awakens

We'll get the big names soon you guys are right its March....

But I want my top ten even though its pretty unrealistic...

TJ Bryant, Arthur Brown, Shayne Hale, David Poz, Steve Filer, Will Hill, Darell Scott, Micheal Floyd, Julio Jones, Brandon Newman...

We'll get the big names soon you guys are right its March....

But I want my top ten even though its pretty unrealistic...

TJ Bryant, Arthur Brown, Shayne Hale, David Poz, Steve Filer, Will Hill, Darell Scott, Micheal Floyd, Julio Jones, Brandon Newman...

lol, you're right that may be a bit unrealistic.

However, I think that we have a great shot at getting a couple of those gusy:

Filer, Poz, Floyd, and hopefully Newman...Brandon is definitely in my top 3, we MUST offer and put the press on this kid.

Guest scooper
I gotta start this off by saying i mean no disrespect to Golic Jr., Goodman, or Cave. I'm proud of them for making a great decision and accepting the offers of their dream school, obviously we'd do the same thing if we were in their shoes.

my only problem with these commits so far, none have come from national level recruits. if a guy's only offers are from Big 10 schools and us that just means he's a regional level recruit, not a national level player. If he was a national level, big-time recruit he'd have offers from USC & Florida. Golic Jr i think only had one offer and that was from UConn. These guys can turn out to be diamonds in the rough, but the big name guys are the people who attract attention from other recruits across the country. If you remember last year both Ragone and Kamara said they signed with ND in large part due to Jimmy Clausen. I doubt your'e gonna see Mike Adams say "I'm comin to ND so I can block alongside Braxston Cave"

It seems like Charlie is settling so far for kids he knows he can get to verbal early as opposed to the bigger names out there. Thats fine and all but we're not exactly closing the talent gap with Florida, USC, Texas, etc by doing this.

Also our most pressing need is still D and we have yet to land a single defensive commitment

With that said, there is still plenty of time to land those big name guys and if we can get Floyd (or someone like Filer or TJ Bryant) to pull the trigger soon it'll definately ease my fears. It just pains me to look at USC's commit list so far and see like all kids who are gonna be top 100 players whereas it seems like our 3 guys aren't gonna be as highly regarded.

I really think this 08 class will be the biggest make-or-break class for CW since he's been at ND, if we can haul in some studs on D we will be able to contend for titles in 09 and 2010

I'm sorry, I'll say it. Posts like this are a slap in the face of good football players who have committed to Notre Dame.

Guest heismancaliber

I'm sorry, I'll say it. Posts like this are a slap in the face of good football players who have committed to Notre Dame.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong by them on the football field

I think Tuna is filling his class with good talented "role players" and then he will target a few of the national recruits and roll the dice. We don't need all 5 star guys. We need a decent number of 3-4 star guys for our core and a few 5 stars to make the team complete. Get too many 5 star guys and it creates instability. Not everyone can be Kobe Bryant.

Guest iRiShMaN

I don't see a lot of the big name guys committing to ND early. charlie wants a commit to stick to it from the time the verbal is applied.

the big guys will travel and take their trips.

let's be patient fellas. charlie changed the rules, it will take some time to figure out.

I will very happy to see our core made up of all 4 star recruits. Don't get me wrong, sprinkle a few 5 stars where we are able...but I personally would prefer the ones who understand the what they and Notre Dame can benefit from one another. Look at that 5 star wide receiver who went to Illinois, what will his 'legacy' be? A bunch of individual stats?

I say...Welcome Michael Golic Jr., John Goodman and Braxston Cave...Welcome to your family for life, great to have you!

Heisman said.... "I gotta start this off by saying i mean no disrespect to Golic Jr., Goodman, or Cave"

Sweeney said...

"When they tell you its not about the money then its all about the money".

Sorry heisman, but when you say "no disrespect to someone", that someone is about to get disrespected

Sweeney has it right.

That said. Welcome to Notre Dame Golic JR. Goodman, Cave!!!!!! We are happy to have you!

According to an article in the South Bend Tribune this morning Cave was being recruited by Florida, Michigan Iowa, Purdue and Indiana. He is 6'4" and 294 and very athletic. He also stated that the staff has told him he is being recruited to play center. In another article about Goodman the paper states that last year he caught 44 balls for 815 yards & 16 TD's. He also averaged 45 yards, yes averaged 45 yards per return with two punt and two kickoffs returned for TD's.

Both of these kids played for top notch High School programs who have sent many players on to major programs. I can only guess that if you don't read at least 50 words about them on a recruiting blog or see their names mentioned on other college boards they aren't worth recruiting. :lol:

Both of these kids are players, end of story.

the other thing is look at someone like kerry neal who committed early last season. when you commit to ND you're gonna get more recognition, and these guys will be seen more this year, so the nation will be able to evaluate them since they're already ND verbals. Neal was a 3 star who was really a 4 star the whole time. the big schools may not have touched golic b/c they knew he was a ND lock. there was rumors going around that golic wasnt going to verbal, his dad was going to pay his tuition to save us a schollie. and for cave, he was being recruited by the top schools, so that argument doesnt mean anything with him. Goodman 6'5, 4.5 speed, great hands, big play ability. whose mad about signing him?

we have quality guys who WANT TO BE HERE. 4 star players probably, but they're ND QUALITY guys. I'm happy to have 3 guys so far. The other thing is having these local guys at ND will push other local kids to work just as hard to live their dream.

CW's been doing a great job so far. Put your W's up and bow down!!