Is this legal?

IrishGuy

I listened to some of the Jim Tressel (sp?) recruiting radio show on the way home last night. For the most part, he seems like a really nice guy, but he said a few things that I found "odd"....

A couple of things that I found interesting were that he only plans on taking 14 - 18 guys next year. He said he likes to get 14 - 18 every year to allow for 5th years and walk-ons. This isn't that odd, but I though it was very similar to what CW was talking aobut in his presser yesterday. He also said that he averages redshirting over 60% of each recruiting class. This was really interesting to me because I know a lot of kids now-a-days wants to get quality PT from day 1. Seems like it would be hard to sell kids on this if he averages sitting over half of the players from each recruiting class for a year.

The one that I thought was really interesting (and the reason for this post) is that he flat out said that Ginn Sr. supplies him with "inside" info on recruits. He said that one of his new players was an "under the radar" kind of guy. He said that Ginn Sr. called Ginn Jr. and told him to tell JT that he had a guy that JT needed to look at. He then said that Ginn JR told him about the kid, and then he followed up on him, and now he is a Buckeye. Even if this is legal under NCAA rules, it pretty much confirms the fact that Ginn Sr. is running a recruiting farm for OSU and giving JT first dibs on his players. ....and if this is the case, I am willing to bet a paycheck that Ginn Sr. is in his players ears about going to OSU.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if this is legal under NCAA rules, it pretty much confirms the fact that Ginn Sr. is running a recruiting farm for OSU and giving JT first dibs on his players. ....and if this is the case, I am willing to bet a paycheck that Ginn Sr. is in his players ears about going to OSU.

i would think that this is completely legal and congrats to jim tressel for taking advantage of this.

Not only in his ears, but on the payroll. How else does a former janitor at a high school afford the bling he displays every time he's on tv.

Thats where the illegal activity would come into place. But it would have to be provrn that he compensates him for the info that is given.

Guest JerseyDomer

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are only allowed 10 total coaches on your staff who can play a role in recruiting.

If Ginn Sr. is running these camps and then passing info on directly or indirectly thru his son to Tressel, wouldn't that be a NCAA violoation?

He's not on the staff but helping out

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are only allowed 10 total coaches on your staff who can play a role in recruiting.

If Ginn Sr. is running these camps and then passing info on directly or indirectly thru his son to Tressel, wouldn't that be a NCAA violoation?

He's not on the staff but helping out

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Its definitely OK for a high school coach to say, 'hey, look at this kid.'

Just as long as he doesn't get compensated for it. And as far as Ginn Sr. having "bling," he's the head coach of a successful high school program in football-frenzied Ohio. You'd be surprised how much money he makes.

Guest JerseyDomer
Its definitely OK for a high school coach to say, 'hey, look at this kid.'

Just as long as he doesn't get compensated for it. And as far as Ginn Sr. having "bling," he's the head coach of a successful high school program in football-frenzied Ohio. You'd be surprised how much money he makes.

yes, a high school coach can talk about HIS players, but I have a problem with one who runs camps for players and yaps about kids.

Heck, who knows if Ginn might tell John Doe to NOT come to a camp so he doesn't get noticed by the masses and he can slip him into OSU.

It needs to be on the up and up. But we're talkin bout Ginn Sr. and OSU so I guess we know the answer to that one.

Actually it is not illegal, I mean it's just like Ginn sr. saying to CW that here is a kid I think can help you out. It's done all the time. That's just having a great relationship with a high school. As long as nothing illegal going on. If ND had that same connection in the CHI it would be the same thing O$U is doing in Glenville high. More power to them, it keeps that high school on the national map and it makes other universities have to work 10 times as harder to get a kid. Look at USC they have a hand full of pipeline high schools long beach poly, servinte(sp) etc. Look at what Florida is doing at Lakeland they got like 8 kids from that school to sign with them. ND just has to step their game up which means gloves off and sleeves rolled up but keep it legal and we should be just fine.

Guest JerseyDomer
Actually it is not illegal, I mean it's just like Ginn sr. saying to CW that here is a kid I think can help you out. It's done all the time. That's just having a great relationship with a high school. As long as nothing illegal going on. If ND had that same connection in the CHI it would be the same thing O$U is doing in Glenville high. More power to them it keeps that high school on the national map and it makes other universities have to work 10 times as harder to get a kid. Look at USC the have a hand full of pipeline high schools long beach poly, servinte(sp) etc. Look at what Florida is doing at Lakeland they got like 8 kids from that school to sign with them. ND just has to step their game up which means gloves off and sleeves rolled up but keep it legal and we should be just fine.

It's not the same as a relationship with a head coach of some high school, when that head coach runs camps around the country.

There is a difference.

How many head coaches in HS run camps like Ginn Sr.?

Guest ttown2424

The under the radar guy he was talking about I believe is Dane Sanzenbacher WR from Toledo CC. I also coach there and talk to Dane on a daily basis about his recruiting and just try to get some inside info on other guys. Dane would have gone to ND no doubt if ever offered, absolutely loves the Irish. He went on the Ted Ginn Sr camp tour this summer where they ride around in a bus and hit up camps almost every day. It was at one of the camps, maybe Iowa or Illinois when Dane not only impressed Kirk Ferentz, but also Ginn Sr. That is when Ginn Sr pushed for Dane to get a scholly, which he got and then accepted soon after. How Ginn Sr. related the info i'm not sure, but it doesne t seem to be illegal if the kids are paying their own way. I think its actually a great idea.

Guest NDLawJAG

There is no problem at all with this. Why do you think CW went to all the trouble to thank the players coaches... He want to build relations with them for the future.

Guest SirJohn

I noticed he mentiond each coach too. :D In the written Presser some were (inaudible) I thought he should see that the person that did the written transcript should go back and insert that coaches name. :lol: The value of PR.

Guest WillDomer

ttown2424 - How can a guy from Central (THE FIGHTING IRISH for cripes sake) not wanna be a Domer? Did he make our radar screen? (p.s. I'm from t-town too AND my mother's entire family are all CCHS grads . . .)

Guest ttown2424

Dane went to a couple of day camps at ND over the summer, but I don't think he was ever on ND's radar. He is a 3 star guy and it seemed like Charlie was going for the elite of elite this year when it came to WR. It came back to kind of bite us in the ass when we couldn't land Benn or Little. You can't blame Charlie though because we had a great shot at getting one or both of those guys. I just wish ND would take a look at more diehard guys like Dane. Dane isn't ranked all that high, but he is a kid who has all the intangibles(greathands, great routes, good speed, etc) and finds a way to get the job done.

Guest JerseyDomer

Does anyone have an idea on what Ginn Sr. charges for his camp tours?

What do the camps themselves charge?

Is there a cost for Ginn's service and also the individual camps at each school?

See, maybe I'm different, but I have a problem with a high school coach who is NOT part of a colleges faculty dishing out info on kids that DON'T go to the school that he is the coach at and is able to see more players than any other high school coach becasue he's funded by some dentist who is alum/booster for Ohio State and runs his own camp tours.

If people think that he is NOT at all these camps recruiting for Ohio St then you are blind to something