Best defensive recruit in this class

Ray Herring

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with both of you guys. I think Gray, Harrison Smith, and Kerry Neal are gonna be prime-time players. I think Ian Williams will have an impact by the year's end, and Paskorz & Nagel will contribute on special teams if they're not red-shirted. Nagel might red-shirt b/c he's switching positions.

Guest shark83

Have to give the title of best defensive recruit to Gary Gray.

He makes up for his lack of size with physical play. If you have a Rivals account, I recommend you check out his films.

Harrison Smith by far IMO.

He has the homerun hitting ability on D that we have been missing for so long. I picture him as a Zibby with better pass coverage.

As with the others, I say Gary Gray is our best defensive recruit. Remember how he shut down the receivers at the AAA Bowl? He should definitely have five stars. But I do really like Harrison Smith, he should be awesome. He has great speed and cover ability. I can't wait to see both of these guys on the field at ND.

Harrison Smith by far IMO.

He has the homerun hitting ability on D that we have been missing for so long. I picture him as a Zibby with better pass coverage.

After watching Smiths film I think he is one hell of a hitter and athlete.I think he is going to be something special. :lol:

Not wanting to ruffle any feathers or re-open past discussions...so please, look at my choice as a 'hypothetical' answer?

Greg Little...linebacker as my hypothetical answer, but Gary Gray and Harrison Smith as of now. Both have major upside, and I expect to hear their names often in the next four years.

i agree with ND FANATIC that it's kerry neal. as the OLB in the 3-4 he would bring a lot of speed and athletic abilty to the field and could be a real good standup DE also.

i also agree about harrison smith, i read where one Vols fan said that he would gladly give ND chris donald in exchange for harrison smith.

Guest NDLawJAG

I'll go with Ian Williams.... He was a must have guy. He may have the best stats upon graduation but I think he will be the key to the new Defense.

I can't pick "the best" one because I believe each guy is ultra important to our success over the next few years. I believe Kerry Neal is the guy that will have the most impact in 07, but Harrison might be the guy that has the biggest impact when it is all said and done.

Guest bbrennan

Gonna go with the rdrdreamer and take what may be the off-the-wall choices and say Greg Little and Golden Tate. I think both end up on defense. Size, speed and athleticism at the defensive skill positions. When was the last time we got to say that about an ND defense.

Gonna go with the rdrdreamer and take what may be the off-the-wall choices and say Greg Little and Golden Tate. I think both end up on defense. Size, speed and athleticism at the defensive skill positions. When was the last time we got to say that about an ND defense.

i agree with you that greg little would make an amazing OLB but with his freakish athletic skills he could be a dominate force on offense. with ND bringing in neal, nagel, smith and paskorz along with toyran smith and morrice richardson from last year, i don't think ND feels desperate enough to make the switch.

Guest NDEagles379

I think Neal and Gray are the most talented, but Harrison Smith is close behind. And Ian Williams is at a need position. So any of those could be the most important.

By the way, despite losing Edwards and Wilson and Donald, we still ended up with a heck of a LB corps, if you count Neal as an OLB, and now with Brian Smith and Paskorz inside, and Nagel, who played pretty well at the AA game. Not great star numbers, but tough, athletic, smart kids who love ND and hopefully can develop into starters and stars.

The big missed position is now DE with Trattou out. But the DE are almost like DTs in the 3-4 defense, so I hope the tweeners like Mullen and Kuntz can step up (and even Nuss/Nwankwo).

Think it would be Neal or Smith as a result of their position. If Gary is shutdown then no one throws there meanwhile Neal is blitzing into backfield or Smith is laying people out coming across the middle. I have to say after watching Smith on the offensive side of the ball, he is positively terrifying, I would love to see him in the mix somehow...maybe punt returns. If you have a subscription, go watch, to me he is every bit as dynamic as any ND recruit I have seen with the exception of Armando and not even by a wide margin...

The big missed position is now DE with Trattou out. But the DE are almost like DTs in the 3-4 defense, so I hope the tweeners like Mullen and Kuntz can step up (and even Nuss/Nwankwo).

justin trattou said that the coaching staff wanted him to play the OLB/rush end position in the 3-4 which i thought was a bit odd. like you said mullen should get a shot to show what he can do. he's put on some good size and came in with 4.7 speed so we'll see how that works.

i think if steve paskorz can stay healthly he will be a beast at lb. he and kerry neal are VERY PHYSICAL!!! and SP has 4.5 speed and will only get bigger. he brings a very nasty attitute when he hits someone. i am exicted to see a bunch of fast physical lb's running sideline to sideline, with the CB's playing bump and run in your face coverage. hopefull GG can take the assante sammual role on our defense.