Hughes is Irish per News Gazette

NDirish66

IMO I wouldn't get my hopes up yet on getting Hughes. I'm waiting for him to say it, todays journalism isn't what it used to be and there are no consequences getting things wrong and with this it's a 50/50 guess and with those lack of consequences there is no harm no foul, so IMO this is nothing more than a guess.

I hope I'm wrong and this is a legit report with real info, I would be glad to east some crow but the point is I'll believe it when I see that Robert Hughes said it.

Guest NDLawJAG
IMO I wouldn't get my hopes up yet on getting Hughes. I'm waiting for him to say it, todays journalism isn't what it used to be and there are no consequences getting things wrong and with this it's a 50/50 guess and with those lack of consequences there is no harm no foul, so IMO this is nothing more than a guess.

I hope I'm wrong and this is a legit report with real info, I would be glad to east some crow but the point is I'll believe it when I see that Robert Hughes said it.

Not sure yesterdays journalism was any better. Hopefully Nick can clean it all up :wink: :wink:

Guest shark83

Regardless of whether or not the info is correct on Hughes, I think its sad that these local newspaper feel they have a "right" to ruin the suspense leading up to these kids annoucements.

Shark, I agree you about local newspapers. Let the kids get their moment to shine.

On another note, I used to go to this site for all of my recruiting news (before I was enlightened about DD). But, four or five of the pledges on the site are kids who committed, decommitted, and then recommitted somewhere else. It just happens SO much it made me chuckle.

http://slog.cstv.com/hodgereport_fb/#

Guest weisforprez

Who cares what the article says, there were "multiple sources" saying Donald was ND, so until I hear it from him I really don't care.

That said, what is this garbage about our depth chart being more wide open then Illinois???

Seriously is this Mendenhall guy THAT good?? We have Thomas coming back as a senior RB, then Aldridge (5 star) and Prince, as well Armando Allen coming in with Hughes.

I don't see any possible way other than injury that Hughes comes in and becomes a regular down back as a freshman.

Guest chrislw35
Who cares what the article says, there were "multiple sources" saying Donald was ND, so until I hear it from him I really don't care.

That said, what is this garbage about our depth chart being more wide open then Illinois???

Seriously is this Mendenhall guy THAT good?? We have Thomas coming back as a senior RB, then Aldridge (5 star) and Prince, as well Armando Allen coming in with Hughes.

I don't see any possible way other than injury that Hughes comes in and becomes a regular down back as a freshman.

Hughes never said anything about being an every down back as a freshman. I think that prince is not going to get much touches at RB maybe at slot or 3rd WR. That leaves Thomas only there 1 year. and Aldridge and Allen only to compete with his sophmore year. Compare that to Mendenhal and Juice running it himself every other play at Ill. I would take a more structered ND anyday. Please remember while i am sure he doesnt want to call anyone out, he does not want to be in the backfield with juice. Juice will call himself into QB draws, passes(scrambles) etc. Hughes is much better being in a backfield with Claussen/Jones.

Mendenhall was very highly touted coming out of high school (5*). He is 5'11" and about 200 pounds, but very shifty and fast. That said, I watched him a few times this year and he seems to have trouble hanging onto the ball. Could have caught him on bad days, but they seem to like his potential there.

Not sure yesterdays journalism was any better. Hopefully Nick can clean it all up :wink: :wink:

Well that might be true but the point was in the past there was a sense of embarrassment of getting things wrong, the integrity was different, in today's time the media treats us like idiots because we are so forgiving and misrepresentations are just no big deal anymore and a reason why I think there is more guessing than ever in reporting/journalism because there is no embarrassment from the paper or wherever and all that have to do is put up a correction where nobody will see it.

Guest scooper

Not an everydown back, but the short yardage back spot is up for grabs. Heck it was up for grabs last year. He could very well get some carries.

Agreed, if Hughes comes aboard I believe Prince would be the odd man out. Allen seems to be the better choice for a quick strike type of back. Aldridge and Hughes would be the punishers. I think TT will get the most carries next year, followed by Aldridge, Allen, Hughes, I could see Schmidt being moved to FB to compliment Schwapp

Aren't B Gallup, M Prince, G West, and G Tate all basically the same players? I'm not knocking them but why do we keep getting the same player? Are we going going to be running that many "flex" guys?

Because you need to get athletes. Holtz recruited athletes and figured out where to put them. I view this as being a positive sign.

Well that might be true but the point was in the past there was a sense of embarrassment of getting things wrong, the integrity was different, in today's time the media treats us like idiots because we are so forgiving and misrepresentations are just no big deal anymore and a reason why I think there is more guessing than ever in reporting/journalism because there is no embarrassment from the paper or wherever and all that have to do is put up a correction where nobody will see it.

I feel I need to defend journalism here since I am a journalist. I agree that there are people out there trying to make a name for themselves or just throwing things at a wall and hoping something sticks.

But for the most part, we're all honest people trying to do our jobs by reporting the news to the public.

If this guy has reliable sources that he trusts, he can run with this, as long as there are two. In that case, he doesn't need to print a correction because he said that sources told him Hughes to Notre Dame. And if he says I feel Hughes will go to Notre Dame, also no correction needed because it's an opinion. As long as you don't mess up the facts, you're fine.

Why do this? Because this is the type of information the public craves, information that comes out before everyone else knows it.

You clicked on this link because you wanted the information sooner. You feed what we do.

Guest gallup21

Ital, i didnt respond because i knew there are 2 people who have the occupation as journalists, you and bhatta on board here (sorry if im leaving out anyothers, just let me know). I understand NDLawjags point of view...the media these days can seem power hungry and they like to report things before they come out.

And Ital is right also, the public does crave off this info. I just hope to one day get the chance to be a journalist...once Eric Hansen leaves his post at the SBT...I'll return it to Glory. :D (i know 1 person cant do that, and i probably cant also but that was just fun to say)