Hughes!

MikejND

Caught this from II, anyone hear about this.

This is what was said

From Jamie Newberg article:

..."But my gut told me to wait and I am glad I did, because Darius Walker decided to go pro."

It sounds like a commitmenmt to me. Walker going pro makes for some interesting competition this year. Maybe, we can move Luke S. to line backer and have Hughes as a more of a hybrid full back/running back. Of course, that is if he chooses us on the 23rd.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this on Irisheyes this moning in a Hughes article. I wish I could post what he says, because its definitely looking very good for us right now. he says that CW is a "critical factor" in his decision, being able to get him NFL ready, also says he knows that he can play early if he earns it. Also says he thought he was definitely ready to decide, until DW decided to leave, and his gut told him not to.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=610633

I think it was important to him, because he wanted to see time on the field early. If Darius would've stayed, and Hughes choose ND, I doubt he would've saw the field. At illinois, it's a given that he would've been able to step in for playing time. Darius leaving puts us in the same boat. Zook cant use that against us now.

I think it was important to him, because he wanted to see time on the field early. If Darius would've stayed, and Hughes choose ND, I doubt he would've saw the field. At illinois, it's a given that he would've been able to step in for playing time. Darius leaving puts us in the same boat. Zook cant use that against us now.

well he's still got thomas to compete with for 1 year, aldridge & prince for 3, and allen for 4. obviously every team's got running backs on the roster. I just thought that DW was the last of his worries for his 4 years at ND.

thomas maybe playing more RB this year with DW gone but i expect aldridge and allen to get plenty of playing time. as for prince i don't see him getting much playing time at RB, im mean AA is the real deal and he's already faster, quicker and a lot stronger than prince is.

If Darius would've stayed, he would've been a guarantee for the starting spot. I think Travis knew that Darius was leaving, and that's why he wanted to come back to RB. But what I think it does now is give every running back a fresh start. I think the only guarantee would've been Walker.

thomas maybe playing more RB this year with DW gone but i expect aldridge and allen to get plenty of playing time. as for prince i don't see him getting much playing time at RB, im mean AA is the real deal and he's already faster, quicker and a lot stronger than prince is.

Prince also played CB in high school. Some projected him as a better CB than RB. I wonder if we will see another switch.

FWIW....I like all of the discussion about switching people around. It reminds me of the Holtz days when we had so many good athletes and a lot of flexibility to move them around.

Charlie isn't going to platoon QB's but he might vary the backfield with the assorted weapons he has. If utilized well all our RB's plus Hughes could really grind a defense down.

I'll never forget under Holtz against Tennesee when he brought Rocket into the backfield in the second half and he waltzed in on a simple sweep. Defenders were just too tired.

Guest JerseyDomer

I don't think Thomas will be seeing much time at RB this yr.

We need to start developing our rb's we have.

Thomas woulda been on the defensive side of the ball next yr if Darius stayed, I don't see CW changing that train of thought IMO.

Aldridge, Munir, Armando, Tate, Hughes

we have 5 guys who are capable of holdin down the rb position or 4 1/2-however you wanna look at Golden.

Travis helps us as a team more on defense then he would on offense.

I think that there will be plenty of carries for all next year. We have to break in a whole new group of receivers and a qb with little to no college experience (depending on who wins the spot).

The point is the safest and easiest way to run the offense is on the ground at first so that the new qb doesn't have the weight of the world on his shoulders. This means that each back will have their own packages like JA last year. This should make every rb pretty excited to play.

I can just see it now, pound them up the middle, run a little counter to the outside, then play-action them for the deep ball to Kamara or Little, or Grimes, or Hord, or Parris, or Jackson...TD Irish!!!

Or just bring back the wishbone... 8)

Guest NDEagles379

Prince will gain weight and strength in the off-season. I think he can still contribute at RB, but it depends on how far along AA becomes early on. With the leg injury, that might hurt him and allow Prince to be the speed back. I could see him moving to DB though assuming Allen is the real deal. I think Tate will be receiver that can stretch the field.

Jersey, I think Travis Thomas will split time with Aldridge to start the season. Charlie trusts him, and he has more experience. I'm sure he is a better blocker and pass-catcher than the current frosh. I don't think the defense thing worked out. His only chance to play defense next year is to gain 20 pounds in the offseason and become a real LB. But I think Charlie and he want him to be a RB next year.

Guest NDLawJAG

I think they are ging to tinker with that during spring... I read (of course it was my post) that they are bringing back Holtz as a coach for the spring game to teac JC the option.

Guest JerseyDomer
Prince will gain weight and strength in the off-season. I think he can still contribute at RB, but it depends on how far along AA becomes early on. With the leg injury, that might hurt him and allow Prince to be the speed back. I could see him moving to DB though assuming Allen is the real deal. I think Tate will be receiver that can stretch the field.

Jersey, I think Travis Thomas will split time with Aldridge to start the season. Charlie trusts him, and he has more experience. I'm sure he is a better blocker and pass-catcher than the current frosh. I don't think the defense thing worked out. His only chance to play defense next year is to gain 20 pounds in the offseason and become a real LB. But I think Charlie and he want him to be a RB next year.

When Thomas decided to come back for his 5th yr he did so thinkin that DW would still be here. TT and CW intended on him to play D next yr, I just don't see that changing drastically. Will he get carries? Yeah, I think so. But he shouldn't be our primary back. He should be a LB next yr.

JA was a top tier RB comin in last yr. this will be his soph yr. He should be more than capable of carrying the loan himself. and the newbies ride his coat tails

I think a top player at rb should be able to come in and be a starter his 2nd season.

I don't see Chuck havin TT split to start then go full time D. He should focus at LB.

I don't think TT did too bad last yr at all. He's good enough to be a starter and if we can get some new schemes goin on D, which we will, shit, have Travis blitz and fly up the middle a few times

Guest JerseyDomer
I think they are ging to tinker with that during spring... I read (of course it was my post) that they are bringing back Holtz as a coach for the spring game to teac JC the option.

i hope your jokin bout JC runnin the option.

That would be flat out f'n DUMB