Andrew Nuss will be a DT

GoIrish24

Guest AtlantaIrish

I think he will...after watching his film he has a good burst of speed and looks to have a lot of tenacity...we need the DTs more than OTs, so I'm sure the coaching staff will at least try him there.

Not loving this development. Two years in a row that it comes out after the fact that we're changing a recruits position. Hopefully this was the plan all along, but given all of our other DT offers - this seems like a fall back plan.

Hopefully Nuss will be a good DT - but I would have rather brought in a player natural to that position.

Hopefully Nuss will be a good DT - but I would have rather brought in a player natural to that position.

i would have to agree. i don't like all this position switching, it's to bad we have to move nuss to DT i thought his offensive fill was more impressive but whatever. i just wish ND didn't do such a piss poor job in recruiting DTs.

Guest scooper

Um...THEY DID. Nuss was a DT as well in HS. Nuss was an all conference player at DT, not OL. No, recruiting on the defensive side of the ball didn't go so well, but that doesn't change the ability to play the position of some of the guys coming in.

For what it's worth, Nwanko said on IE a few months back that he was not being recruited specifically for one or the other. I'd imagine Nuss was in a similar situation. So it's not like they are moving these guys at the last minute.

Guest JerseyDomer

It's not like Nuss never played DT. Just because he was/is listed as an O-Lineman on a scouting site doesn't mean he wasn't a very solid DT in HS.

If Nuss was listed as a DT on a site would you feel any differently?

Actually, it would. Because that would mean that guys who have gone out and scouted these guys agree that he's better suited to play DT.

I don't see why people are having such a tough time grappling with an O-Lineman (or a kid who played both ways in high school) being shifted to the defensive line. We see WR' become cornerbacks, QB's becoming WR's, Linebackers becoming Defensive Ends, and now Running Backs becoming LB's. We have people on here who can't agree what position Greg Little or Golden Tate will play in college. This leads me to my next point: How come "Athletes" can only play WR, CB, or RB? I think people need to think outside the box a little and consider that a true Athlete shows versatility in multiple positions and can play on either side of the ball. Sure, some athletes naturally play better in certain positions, but I don't think moving an Offensive Lineman to the Defensive Line is that big of stretch.

Just for clarity. I wasn't saying that I disagree with moving Nuss to DT. In fact, I'm hoping that this is going to be a good move. But it does sort of seem like a plan b move - doesn't it? We offered Austin, Blackwell, Barksdale, Peters, Perry all to play DT. They all said no, and now it comes out that we're planning on moving Nuss.

Yes, I realize that when Nuss commited he said there was a chance he'd play defense. And, yes, I'm encouraged that he was all conference at DT. But what I'm saying is, this development to me means that ND deserves a failing grade for their defensive line recruiting this year. And, for what it's worth, I'm usually very supportive of our coaching staff but I think they made a mistake here. We passed on guys like Myles Wade and Josh Brent early and now I wonder if they regret that decision.

Guest JerseyDomer

Actually, it would. Because that would mean that guys who have gone out and scouted these guys agree that he's better suited to play DT.

If it makes you feel any better he was listed a both on Scout.

He also got 1st team and 2nd team on defense.

honorable mention of offense.

he was quoted as saying, " I prefer defense because I get to go crazy on the field and hit people...but it's mainly whatever gets me on the field the fastest. "

Oh, and Charlie did recruit him as both DT and OL, so I'll take that over some :censored: cornball recruiting analyst.

Do you have a problem with Greg Little being listed as a LB on sites but we're bringing him in as a WR?

Bring Nuss in at DT and let him " go crazy " and " hit people "

That does make me feel better. Out of curiosity, I noticed that he was the 53rd ranked OL. What was his defensive ranking?

i would have to agree. i don't like all this position switching, it's to bad we have to move nuss to DT i thought his offensive fill was more impressive but whatever. i just wish ND didn't do such a piss poor job in recruiting DTs.

russ, i feel you on this but don't we all remember how coach holtz switched guys around all the time? it usually worked out for the best.

Guest scooper

I guarantee the coaching staff has scouted these guys 100 times more than the staff of any web site.

Guest JerseyDomer

That does make me feel better. Out of curiosity, I noticed that he was the 53rd ranked OL. What was his defensive ranking?

They don't go that high.

It's funny, he's ranked 53rd on scout and 17th on Rivals.

thats why it doesn't matter where their ranked or if their even ranked at that position.

I really believe any good/solid O-lineman can switch and do one hell of a job on the D-line. Nuss is pretty athletic for his size. Plus he didn't start playin football til his frosh yr at high school so he is still learning the game.

I guarantee the coaching staff has scouted these guys 100 times more than the staff of any web site.

True enough. But the guys on scout get to see these players a whole lot more than I do. And since I don't get to hear or read what the coaching staff thinks of these guys, it's nice to hear what scout thinks.

It' definitely a plan B. I think most of us realized that once C. Little verbaled to ND, either Emeka or Nuss would be moved. I don't think it's a bad plan B. Both were pretty good at DT. Were they elite? No, but they have played the position before and did a good job at that. Next year will be the key for the depth at DT. ND needs to get at least 3.