3-4

foreverirish34

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Georgia Irish

I am all for a 3-4 as long as the Backers are not always stuck having to play a Zone. I love using this scheme and sending in blitzing LBs from different angles.

Guest 73NotreDame73

The thing about running a 3-4 defense.....it allows a team to get more athletes on the field and lets you match up better against teams that have a lot of speed...ala USC, LSU, etc.

The way you get around the lineman issue is substitution......the point was made about this the other night in the Fla/OSU game where Coach Mattison does constant subing with his DL....when you only have 3 on the field at one time you change have those three going harder, stronger, and faster when there is good depth allowing for "fresher" players. It would also seem that we have the personnel right now to make a 3-4 fit better than the 4-3.

It would also seem that we have the personnel right now to make a 3-4 fit better than the 4-3.

How do you make that out?

We have zero run stuffing DTs. None. Thats the key foundation of a 3-4 and we don't have it. We've got undersized LBs and noit many of them. There is no chance we move to a 3-4

Guest 73NotreDame73

In the 3-4 you only need one "big" DT that would command not only the center's attention but also occupy the OG. And actually depending on the tech. taught you don't even need a guy that big, but quick and distruptive.

Your other two DT need to have more speed and be able to "shoot" the gaps not be guys that just stand in the gaps. A good example is JT, he could easily play R or L DT and be very effective....good size with an explosive motor....that is what make the 3-4 more effective.

Our LB's are smaller but faster which fits perfect for this D. Even take a kid like Neal....there is a perfect tweener who could easily play opposite of JT or stand him up as the OLB.

Personnel wise......this is obviously not next year but fitting our guys to the system.....

NG......Ian William/Kuntz

DT......Justin Trattou/J. Ryan

DT......Trever Laws/J. Brown

MLB's......Crum/T. Smith/A. Vernaglia/

OLB's......T. Thomas/Paskorz/Nagel/Zibby

This would just be an example.

You could make our guys really fit either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

You could also make the arguement the other way against the 4-3 that you need to have that "stud" MLB but we don't have that.

I am not for or against either way, I just think the more ath. you have on the field the better off you are vs. some of these faster teams we are seeing.

I am aware many here believe that running a 34 scheme is difficult to run in the college game, and I agree. However, arguments that ND doesn’t have the personnel to run this scheme are unwarranted. I believe that ND has the personnel to run this defense in 2007. Add to the mix a young, energetic new DC that is very familiar with the 34. I can’t wait to hear reports from spring practice.

DT: Ryan/ J. Brown

NG: T. Laws/ Kuntz or Mullen

DT: Trattou/ J. Brown

OLB: Richardson (Big fast linebacker, has been working with DE’s; perfect fit for OLB in 34 scheme) or Vernaglia

ILB: Smith (ideal inside linebacker for 34. Size and strength will be beneficial when mixing it up w/ OGs)

ILB: Brockington (improved as the season progressed/ think he could do a solid job)

OLB: Crum (back to his natural position)

I have been waiting the last two years for Vernaglia to finally break into the starting lineup. The 34 is the ideal system to take advantage of a linebacker with his size and athleticism.

CB: Walls/ Wooden

CB: Lambert/ McNeil

FS: Burton

SS: Zibby

With this scheme and lineup I think we can improve the defense from ’06 while at the same time improve our chances at obtaining elite defensive prospects. Running the 34 will help develop more pass rush through inventive blitz packages. This will, in turn, help the secondary. Additionally, by running this defense we can improve recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Let’s face it, elite defensive high school prospects want a couple things: to get to the NFL and to be a part of an exciting, attacking style defense that allows them to make plays. In the last 5 years the popularity of the 34 in the NFL has risen dramatically (San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburg, Dallas, Jets, Patriots etc.) why wouldn’t an elite defensive prospect want to go to one of the few schools that play that type of defense?

Guest 73NotreDame73

Nice point mksND and extra props for it coming at 2:22am......I say that becasue I was struggling to put thoughts together about and hour and ahalf earlier. My mind was mush.

Good point about being a pipeline D to the NFL.

We just don't have the players for it. We are recruiting 4-3 players, just like a team will draft for their particular style of defense

As a Falcons fan I watched Wade Phillips try and implement a 3-4 defense without the right personell. It almost ruined Patrick Kerneys career and was continually gashed on the ground. I don't want to see square pegs pushed into round holes i.e. leave Tratttou on the edge. The main pass rush froma 3-4 comes from your OLBs, do we know they can blitz? I don't, stick with the 4-3. Only Marlyland and USC to a degree use a 3-4 in college, there is a reason for that

You simply have to have outstanding lineman for the 3-4 to work. If the D-line can not hold the blockers the LBs cannot do anything in a 3-4.

Watch the Patriots on Sunday( 3 first round picks on the D-line). It all starts with the D-line and we don't have that type of talent yet. Give CW a few years and then we can talk about a 3-4.

You simply have to have outstanding lineman for the 3-4 to work. If the D-line can not hold the blockers the LBs cannot do anything in a 3-4.

Watch the Patriots on Sunday( 3 first round picks on the D-line). It all starts with the D-line and we don't have that type of talent yet. Give CW a few years and then we can talk about a 3-4.

I can't say it any better. Laws is nice but a 3-4 needs a big space eater that makes two lineman guard him every play. I would love for ND to go to it someday. I just don't think it can be a productive scheme next year. Then again, I'm not a D-I dc.