New DC Corwin Brown?

ny

Anybody know anything about Corwin Brown i think he played at UM. I know he's the DB coach for the jets. I know the jets played an agressive style of defense which blitz alot. I think CW was out in long island, and talk to the Mangini and brown about brown being the new DC. Anybody have info about him?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IndyIrish

I haven't found much other than the typical bios on nfl.com or jets websites. I know he played for the Pats, and Parcells called him the toughest man he's ever coached.

Guest irish_at_birth

This is a nice hire. Corwin Brown is a hard nosed tough sob. He doesn't accept failure and will push his players to be the best they can. He is none for teaching DB's to relax when the ball is in the air and not panic and make contact with the receiver. He teaches bump and run and that the defense is entitled to the ball. He is young, energetic and african american and supposed to be one hell of a recruiter. And is from the New England coaching tree.

Guest NDLawJAG

I sure hope it was to hire the NY Giants former DC because Brown is not ready to be a DC. He has three years of coaching experience all as a DB coach.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about hiring a young Defensive Coordinator too. Especially with the way it feels like Charlie only really coaches the offense.

One other concern is that this will probably take a while to turn our defensive recruiting around. Recruits probably won't get excited about playing for Brown until they see how his defenses will perform, and it probably take some time for him to get the current defense turned around.

Then again, Charlie is a big believer in speaking to his peers. Maybe everybody he's talked to has said that this guy is a phenom.

Guest NDEagles379

I heard about Corwin Brown yesterday afternoon before IE and II came out with it, and Mike Frank confirmed that he is Charlie's choice.

Law, I think he is a great hire. Despite his inexperience (3 years ST coach at UVA, 3 years as D-back coach for Jets), he has learned from the best, and was a safety for 7 or 8 years in the NFL. The man knows a lot about defense and coaching. And whatever his inexperience with scheme is, Bill Lewis can help. He has been a DC and head coach before.

And besides that, his intangibles are great. His aggressiveness, motivation, and personality will be perfect for this defense.

We better get him!

I dont think that will matter! I think what matters is the system he will employ and if the players buy into it! You can be the best defensive co-ordinator in the world but if the players dont buy into your system you might as well pound salt! Michigan bought into what Ron English was selling and look what happened to them! We need a young energetic guy to handle this side of the ball and to also help in recruiting. It seems like lately these are the types of guys the young players want to play for. We need young blood!

Guest scooper

People were excited about the Ken Norton Jr. as DC rumors a few days ago. This guy has better experience than him. UCLA hired a young position coach this year, look what that did for their defense.

Brown is coming from the marquee coaching tree in the NFL. Right now the Parcells coaching tree is spawning more success than the old Bill Walsh tree. This guy has played for and coached with some of the best.

He's young, aggressive and has a reputation for toughness. He has recruiting experience from UVA. He came out of the Chicago Public Leagues and could be the answer to Ron Zook in that area. Imagine having Tez in this class and a lock on Hughes. How much better would it look right now?

This seems like the jolt of energy that this program, especially the defense, needs right now. I think it's a good hire if true.

Guest irish_at_birth

CW went after the UCLA DC and he was only a DB's coach last year, he is doing pretty well. Andy Reid was a quarterbacks coach before taking over as head coach. I am sure this guy knows what he is doing or CW wouldn't hire him, he knows him very well.

Guest NDLawJAG
I heard about Corwin Brown yesterday afternoon before IE and II came out with it, and Mike Frank confirmed that he is Charlie's choice.

Law, I think he is a great hire. Despite his inexperience (3 years ST coach at UVA, 3 years as D-back coach for Jets), he has learned from the best, and was a safety for 7 or 8 years in the NFL. The man knows a lot about defense and coaching. And whatever his inexperience with scheme is, Bill Lewis can help. He has been a DC and head coach before.

And besides that, his intangibles are great. His aggressiveness, motivation, and personality will be perfect for this defense.

We better get him!

Yeah, it will be nice to see them BOTH coaching our DBs. Of course who is going to coach our LBs?

Guest NDEagles379

I assume he will hire someone, but I'm not sure. Maybe he or Lewis will coach LBs. You don't necessarily have to have been an LB coach before to be a good one.

Guest scooper

We better get him!

Yeah, it will be nice to see them BOTH coaching our DBs. Of course who is going to coach our LBs?

That remains to be seen. But good coaches are good coaches. I'd bet Brown could get something out of the linebackers in spite of being a DB coach and playing safety. Heck, Charlie's known as a QB guru in spite of never having played the position and breaking into the NFL as a TE coach.

Guest NDLawJAG
I believe Ron English only had 4 years experience, all as DB coach. I'd take him as a DC...

He spent four years as the DB coach at UM. His bio states:

A 15-year veteran of college coaching, English spent five seasons at Arizona State. He coached secondary all five years with the Sun Devils, the final two years with the cornerbacks and the previous three seasons mentoring the safeties. He helped ASU to three bowl appearances: the 1999 Aloha, 2000 Aloha and 2002 Holiday bowls.

English also tutored the secondary for two seasons at San Diego State (1996-97) and served as the outside linebackers coach at Northern Arizona (1996). His first stint at ASU was as a graduate assistant coach handling the defensive line during the 1994-95 seasons. English began his collegiate coaching career as the defensive backs coach at Mt. San Antonio College (1993) in Walnut, Calif. He coached one season at Ganesha High School (1992), his alma mater, in Pomona, Calif.

Guest NDLawJAG
CW went after the UCLA DC and he was only a DB's coach last year, he is doing pretty well. Andy Reid was a quarterbacks coach before taking over as head coach. I am sure this guy knows what he is doing or CW wouldn't hire him, he knows him very well.

He was a DB coach at Washington the year before he went to UCLA but prior to that he coached:

Walker, 45, spent the previous two seasons as secondary coach of the New York Giants. In his first year, he worked under defensive coordinator John Fox, who has led the Carolina Panthers to a Super Bowl and a second NFC title game in the last three years.

Prior to joining the Giants, Walker spent the 2001 season as associate head coach/secondary coach at USC under Pete Carroll and was the first staff member hired by Carroll. That season, the Trojans ranked seventh nationally with 19 interceptions and also ranked 16th nationally in pass defense (179.2 yards) and 16th (tied) in fewest touchdown passes allowed (11).

He also served as secondary coach of the New England Patriots for three seasons, the first two (1998 and 1999) under Carroll and the third (2000) under Bill Belichick. During his tenure with the Patriots, defensive backs Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy each earned trips to the Pro Bowl.

Walker began his coaching career at Mt. San Antonio College (1988-92), serving as secondary coach for four seasons before becoming defensive coordinator in 1992. He then gained valuable experience by coaching at Utah State (1993), BYU (1994), Oklahoma State (1995) and California (1996-1997) before moving to the Patriots.

Guest NDLawJAG

I do not have a problem hiring a position coach from the NFL as the new DC... I would just like it to be someone that has more than five or so years experience in coaching.

Guest weisforprez
I do not have a problem hiring a position coach from the NFL as the new DC... I would just like it to be someone that has more than five or so years experience in coaching.

I felt the same way until I read that he was a great recruiter from his days at Virginia (Check out their 2002 class on Rivals...very solid), is still very popular in the Chicago public leagues, coached under Mangini, and is known in the coaching community as an up and comer.

I'd rather take a chance on a young guy that has more upside than just get an old Big 12 head coach or someone who was just fired in the NFL.